Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Cache Expiration and App Pool Worker Process Recycling

Cache Expiration and App Pool Worker Process Recycling

Jeremy S.

Just wondering if/how a sliding Cache expiration interacts with Application
Pool Worker Process Recycling.

Specifically, if I were to place some value into the Cache object with a
sliding window of 2 hours, but [Recycle worker process (in minutes)]
property setting for the relevant App Pool is 1 hour (and there is no
activity following the placement of the data into the Cache), then WILL the
data automatically be removed from the Cache when the App Pool recycles? Or,
is it *possible* that the App Pool would recycle AND the data would still be
available in the Cache?

Thanks

Scott Allen

Hi Jeremy:

When the app recycles all in memory objects and state are lost. A new
app will spin up with an empty cache, empty session, unitialized
static/shared fields, etc.

HTH,

--
Scott
http://www.OdeToCode.com/blogs/scott/

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 21:51:30 -0800, "Jeremy S." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Just wondering if/how a sliding Cache expiration interacts with Application
>Pool Worker Process Recycling.
>
>Specifically, if I were to place some value into the Cache object with a
>sliding window of 2 hours, but [Recycle worker process (in minutes)]
>property setting for the relevant App Pool is 1 hour (and there is no
>activity following the placement of the data into the Cache), then WILL the
>data automatically be removed from the Cache when the App Pool recycles? Or,
>is it *possible* that the App Pool would recycle AND the data would still be
>available in the Cache?
>
>Thanks

Brock Allen

The data cache in ASP.NET is scoped to the AppDomain, so yes, a recycle will
cause the data in the cache to be purged.

-Brock
DevelopMentor
http://staff.develop.com/ballen

Worker Process recycling cmay ASP .Net 3 02-14-2005 10:00 PM
Aspnet worker process recycling mark ASP .Net 6 07-10-2004 05:55 AM
Use of Proactive Process Recycling for worker process Henry Chen ASP .Net 0 06-10-2004 05:56 AM
"viewstate is invalid for this page and might be corrupted" - why does worker process recycling cause this? Trevor Andrew ASP .Net 0 07-25-2003 04:58 AM
Viewstate Corrupt error message after "Worker Process" recycling Trevor Andrew ASP .Net 2 07-24-2003 01:34 PM

Advertisments