Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Hiding URL in IE status bar

Hiding URL in IE status bar

=?Utf-8?B?SmVmZkI=?=

I have a Web application that allows users to search a document store and
then displays a results set that includes a link to the document.
Is it possible to not display the documents complete URL path in the status
bar?

Jason Mauss

Have you thought about using POST instead of GET as your method?

If you wanted to remove the URL path (or "address bar" ) entirely you can
use the various flags in the window.open() method of the DOM.

--Jason

"JeffB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a Web application that allows users to search a document store and
> then displays a results set that includes a link to the document.
> Is it possible to not display the documents complete URL path in the

status
> bar?

Bruce Barker

in client script, catch onmouseover and onmouseout events for the links, and
change the window.status to what you want.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

"JeffB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a Web application that allows users to search a document store and
> then displays a results set that includes a link to the document.
> Is it possible to not display the documents complete URL path in the
> status
> bar?

=?Utf-8?B?SmVmZkI=?=

Jason:

I tried this and it made no difference. When a user hovers their mouse over
a document link, the full path displays in the IE status bar.

Jeff

"Jason Mauss" wrote:

> Have you thought about using POST instead of GET as your method?
>
> If you wanted to remove the URL path (or "address bar" ) entirely you can
> use the various flags in the window.open() method of the DOM.
>
> --Jason
>
> "JeffB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I have a Web application that allows users to search a document store and
> > then displays a results set that includes a link to the document.
> > Is it possible to not display the documents complete URL path in the

> status
> > bar?

Jason Mauss

AHh...sorry about that. I read that as "address bar" and not "status
bar"...Bruce's suggestion should work.

-Jason

"JeffB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a Web application that allows users to search a document store and
> then displays a results set that includes a link to the document.
> Is it possible to not display the documents complete URL path in the

status
> bar?

Joerg Jooss

JeffB wrote:

> I have a Web application that allows users to search a document store
> and then displays a results set that includes a link to the document.
> Is it possible to not display the documents complete URL path in the
> status bar?

Use URL rewriting or a dedicated HttpHandler if you're concerned about
security (i.e. exposing system information like file locations or
directory structure). Simply trying to hide textual output in a browser
isn't really a good idea here.

Cheers,
--
http://www.joergjooss.de