Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > download control?

download control?

=?Utf-8?B?ZGhucml2ZXJzaWRl?=

Hi peeps,

I'm trying to find a control for downloading from my website.

What I want to do is allow users to download quite a large file, use the
Save As dialog so they can place the file where they like. But *not* use the
download dialog. What I want is to display my site with a frame showing
download progress.

The idea being that if they navigate away from my site, the download stops.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Dan

Kevin Spencer

Custom client-side ActiveX control.
--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
What You Seek Is What You Get.

"dhnriverside" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi peeps,
>
> I'm trying to find a control for downloading from my website.
>
> What I want to do is allow users to download quite a large file, use the
> Save As dialog so they can place the file where they like. But *not* use
> the
> download dialog. What I want is to display my site with a frame showing
> download progress.
>
> The idea being that if they navigate away from my site, the download
> stops.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Cheers
>

> Dan

=?Utf-8?B?ZGhucml2ZXJzaWRl?=

Hi Kevin

YOu're talking about something that users would download first in order to
use our site? Is there such a control, or would I need to write one?

If so, where would I start? :O)

Cheers

Dan

"Kevin Spencer" wrote:

> Custom client-side ActiveX control.
> --
> HTH,
>
> Kevin Spencer
> Microsoft MVP
> ..Net Developer
> What You Seek Is What You Get.
>
> "dhnriverside" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi peeps,
> >
> > I'm trying to find a control for downloading from my website.
> >
> > What I want to do is allow users to download quite a large file, use the
> > Save As dialog so they can place the file where they like. But *not* use
> > the
> > download dialog. What I want is to display my site with a frame showing
> > download progress.
> >
> > The idea being that if they navigate away from my site, the download
> > stops.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > Cheers
> >

> > Dan

Kevin Spencer

Yup. A custom (which means, yes, you would have to write one) client-side
ActiveX control (.OCX). ActiveX Controls are probably easiest to write using
VB6. As for where to start, the Microsoft MSDN Library online would be a
good place.