Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP.NET 2.0 FileUpload control

ASP.NET 2.0 FileUpload control

Uncle Ben

How strong and reliable is the new ASP.NET 2.0 FileUpload control? By that,
I mean is it reliable enough to accept 2-gigabyte file uploads per upload
session?

Also, is it possible or easy to implement an upload progress bar using this
FileUpload control?

Thanks.

Sylvain Lafontaine

You have lowered your expectation from 4Gigs and + to only a scanty 2Gigs?

S. L.

"Uncle Ben" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> How strong and reliable is the new ASP.NET 2.0 FileUpload control? By
> that,
> I mean is it reliable enough to accept 2-gigabyte file uploads per upload
> session?
>
> Also, is it possible or easy to implement an upload progress bar using
> this
> FileUpload control?
>
> Thanks.

Uncle Ben

Not entirely. But for now, I'd like to know if anyone has implemented the
FileUpload control in ASP.NET 2.0 beta 1 and if so, how well it works.

"Sylvain Lafontaine" <sylvain aei ca (fill the blanks, no spam please)>
> You have lowered your expectation from 4Gigs and + to only a scanty 2Gigs?
>
> S. L.
>
> "Uncle Ben" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > How strong and reliable is the new ASP.NET 2.0 FileUpload control? By
> > that,
> > I mean is it reliable enough to accept 2-gigabyte file uploads per

upload
> > session?
> >
> > Also, is it possible or easy to implement an upload progress bar using
> > this
> > FileUpload control?
> >
> > Thanks.

Patrice

This is more likely a server problem ie. having the whole file help in
memory. I wonder if this is a limitation tied to IIS and/or HTTP (i.e the
request needs to be entirely read before passed to ASP.NET ????).

What is it ?

My first though would be to reduce the file size (for example upload
differences), to install something client side if this is for specific
users, to handle this using something different if for general usee (FTP,
client side control with PUT access, Webdav or whatever else that doesn't
use up the memory).

Hopefully someone will tell us if this is limitation that can't be
workaround using HTTP...

Patrice

--

"Uncle Ben" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Not entirely. But for now, I'd like to know if anyone has implemented the
> FileUpload control in ASP.NET 2.0 beta 1 and if so, how well it works.
>

> "Sylvain Lafontaine" <sylvain aei ca (fill the blanks, no spam please)>
> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > You have lowered your expectation from 4Gigs and + to only a scanty

2Gigs?

> > S. L.
> >
> > "Uncle Ben" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > How strong and reliable is the new ASP.NET 2.0 FileUpload control? By
> > > that,
> > > I mean is it reliable enough to accept 2-gigabyte file uploads per

> upload
> > > session?
> > >
> > > Also, is it possible or easy to implement an upload progress bar using
> > > this
> > > FileUpload control?
> > >
> > > Thanks.

Patrice

Try perhaps :

http://www.websupergoo.com/abcupload.net-1.htm

They claim to be able to stream the uploaded file to disk...

Good luck. Let us know about your findings...
(be aware also of the time taken, ie. if something goes wrong the user will
have likely to upload the whole file again).

Patrice

--

"Patrice" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> This is more likely a server problem ie. having the whole file help in
> memory. I wonder if this is a limitation tied to IIS and/or HTTP (i.e the
> request needs to be entirely read before passed to ASP.NET ????).
>
> What is it ?
>
> My first though would be to reduce the file size (for example upload
> differences), to install something client side if this is for specific
> users, to handle this using something different if for general usee (FTP,
> client side control with PUT access, Webdav or whatever else that doesn't
> use up the memory).
>
> Hopefully someone will tell us if this is limitation that can't be
> workaround using HTTP...
>
> Patrice
>
> --
>
> "Uncle Ben" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Not entirely. But for now, I'd like to know if anyone has implemented

the
> > FileUpload control in ASP.NET 2.0 beta 1 and if so, how well it works.
> >

> > "Sylvain Lafontaine" <sylvain aei ca (fill the blanks, no spam please)>
> > wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > You have lowered your expectation from 4Gigs and + to only a scanty

> 2Gigs?
> > >
> > > S. L.
> > >
> > > "Uncle Ben" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

By

> > upload

using

Bruce Barker

in a word no.

the control renders a standard <input type=file> html control. the server
side has been changed to so that the whole upload need not be held in memory
(can be configured to cache on disk), and a stream interface has been added.
so you could upload a 2bg successfully. but a single network aborts the
upload. the browser may choke before the upload completes (not sure IE could
actually do it).

also as asp.net threads are tied up during the transfer, you will be limited
to the number of concurrent transfers allowed.

to upload (or download) large files, you need client component, that can
restart/redo a transfer.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

"Uncle Ben" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> How strong and reliable is the new ASP.NET 2.0 FileUpload control? By
> that,
> I mean is it reliable enough to accept 2-gigabyte file uploads per upload
> session?
>
> Also, is it possible or easy to implement an upload progress bar using
> this
> FileUpload control?
>
> Thanks.

How check filesize using FileUpload control? VB Programmer ASP .Net 11 09-01-2012 09:05 AM
FileUpload control. Eric ASP .Net 4 11-03-2009 11:45 AM
Selecting a date with the Calendar control clears the FileUpload control Nathan Sokalski ASP .Net 1 01-11-2007 06:47 AM
Selecting a date with the Calendar control clears the FileUpload control Nathan Sokalski ASP .Net Web Controls 0 01-11-2007 05:13 AM
FileUpload Control & Image Control eamon ASP .Net Web Controls 2 08-04-2005 07:04 PM

Advertisments