Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Non English ascii codes

Non English ascii codes

!!bogus

Hi,

I am developing an english/arabic webpage. I have some fields that should
accept only english characters and other fields that should accept only
arabic. I use a custom validator for this. How can I figure out whether each
one of those fields contain the appropriate values.

Giving me the ascii ranges (or at least how to figure out the arabic ones)
would be sufficient.

I would need to do this in client and server side (both VB)

--
Thank you
Please post only

Joerg Jooss

!!bogus wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am developing an english/arabic webpage. I have some fields that
> should accept only english characters and other fields that should
> accept only arabic. I use a custom validator for this. How can I
> figure out whether each one of those fields contain the appropriate
> values.
>
> Giving me the ascii ranges (or at least how to figure out the arabic
> ones) would be sufficient.

There's no Arabian ASCII. You would need to use Unicode (e.g. UTF-8 or
UTF-16 for the page encoding) here.

Hopefully, all relevant Arabian characters have subsequent Unicode code
points, so you would just need to check whether a char lies in a
certain range. If not, you have to create some sort of lookup table.

> I would need to do this in client and server side (both VB)

I don't know if JavaScript supports Unicode. If it does, the approach
is the same.

Cheers,
--
http://www.joergjooss.de