Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > getting RID: "additional plugins are required..." popup top menuNAGbar *nuisance* (firefox 1.0 )

getting RID: "additional plugins are required..." popup top menuNAGbar *nuisance* (firefox 1.0 )

dave

ok, I admit it: I'm not a fan of flash, shockwave, or whatever other
"plugin" jumping jiggly-motion-ware I'm supposed to <have dictated that
I "need"> to <supposedly> improve my life, breach my security, "shake my
screens around" or do anything else "for me" I don't want to =use= ANYway.

the old version (0.9.3 was it?) of firefox worked GREAT without giving
me that "nag bar" every eight seconds.

how can I permanently KILL that "nuisace nag bar popup menu additional
plugins are required..." dialog *nuisance*?

can I do it by editing my 'about:config' or thru any =other= method
known to man? if so, would you please outline the process?

I'd be glad to hear of =any= method to achieve the goal. hopefully short
of 'backgrading', uninstalling, and having to locate a firefox 0.9.3
installer again?

thanks in advance, guys

tool

Ralph Fox

On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 08:55:19 -0500, in message
<ff_rd.2078$Yp.446@lakeread01>, dave wrote:

> ok, I admit it: I'm not a fan of flash, shockwave, or whatever other
> "plugin" jumping jiggly-motion-ware I'm supposed to <have dictated that
> I "need"> to <supposedly> improve my life, breach my security, "shake my
> screens around" or do anything else "for me" I don't want to =use= ANYway.
>
> the old version (0.9.3 was it?) of firefox worked GREAT without giving
> me that "nag bar" every eight seconds.
>
> how can I permanently KILL that "nuisace nag bar popup menu additional
> plugins are required..." dialog *nuisance*?
>
> can I do it by editing my 'about:config' or thru any =other= method
> known to man? if so, would you please outline the process?
>
> I'd be glad to hear of =any= method to achieve the goal. hopefully short
> of 'backgrading', uninstalling, and having to locate a firefox 0.9.3
> installer again?
>
> thanks in advance, guys

Check the archives, for example...

http://groups.google.com/groups?thre...1%40amstwist00

http://groups.google.com/groups?thre...ing.google.com

--
Cheers,
Ralph

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ns.html#before

:: BRIAN ::

(On 12/3/2004 2:41 PM) Ralph Fox wrote:
> On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 08:55:19 -0500, in message
> <ff_rd.2078$Yp.446@lakeread01>, dave wrote:
>

>>ok, I admit it: I'm not a fan of flash, shockwave, or whatever other
>>"plugin" jumping jiggly-motion-ware I'm supposed to <have dictated that
>>I "need"> to <supposedly> improve my life, breach my security, "shake my
>>screens around" or do anything else "for me" I don't want to =use= ANYway.
>>
>>the old version (0.9.3 was it?) of firefox worked GREAT without giving
>>me that "nag bar" every eight seconds.
>>
>>how can I permanently KILL that "nuisace nag bar popup menu additional
>>plugins are required..." dialog *nuisance*?
>>
>>can I do it by editing my 'about:config' or thru any =other= method
>>known to man? if so, would you please outline the process?
>>
>>I'd be glad to hear of =any= method to achieve the goal. hopefully short
>>of 'backgrading', uninstalling, and having to locate a firefox 0.9.3
>>installer again?
>>
>>thanks in advance, guys

> Check the archives, for example...
>
> http://groups.google.com/groups?thre...1%40amstwist00
>
> http://groups.google.com/groups?thre...ing.google.com

Too bad neither of those links provide the "complete" answer. But they
do get you on the right track...

[http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/faqs/fir...s-nullplugin]:

How do I stop Mozilla Firefox from prompting me to install a plugin?

Open about:config, and set plugin.default_plugin_disabled to false. Then
delete the file named npnul32.dll from your Mozilla Firefox plugins
folder. You may have to enable showing hidden files to do this.

--
Brian

Email Info -
http://68.1.17.8/p0nykiller/email.htm

bill yohler

> Open about:config, and set plugin.default_plugin_disabled to false. Then
> delete the file named npnul32.dll from your Mozilla Firefox plugins
> folder. You may have to enable showing hidden files to do this.

cool, cool, cool. thanks ponykiller - your help much appreciated