Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Modal Dialog

Modal Dialog

tshad

I am using Andy Smiths Dialog windows, which work really well.

My only problem is I am trying to make the Dialogs Modal.

Someone mentioned putting <base target="_self"> into the head section of
the modal window to make it work. I tried putting it both pages just to see
if it would work and it doesn't seem to work.

Does anyone know how to make these modal?

Thanks,

Tom

Robbe Morris [C# MVP]

JavaScript Modal Dialog Box - Cross Browser and
highly flexible.

http://www.eggheadcafe.com/articles/...dal_dialog.asp

--
2005 Microsoft MVP C#
Robbe Morris

"tshad" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:OQvOah%(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am using Andy Smiths Dialog windows, which work really well.
>
> My only problem is I am trying to make the Dialogs Modal.
>
> Someone mentioned putting <base target="_self"> into the head section of
> the modal window to make it work. I tried putting it both pages just to
> see if it would work and it doesn't seem to work.
>
> Does anyone know how to make these modal?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tom

TJS

not quite modal because you can close the dialog without making a choice

"Robbe Morris [C# MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> JavaScript Modal Dialog Box - Cross Browser and
> highly flexible.
>
> http://www.eggheadcafe.com/articles/...dal_dialog.asp
>
> --
> 2005 Microsoft MVP C#
> Robbe Morris
> http://www.robbemorris.com
> http://www.learncsharp.net/home/listings.aspx
>

> "tshad" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:OQvOah%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I am using Andy Smiths Dialog windows, which work really well.
>>
>> My only problem is I am trying to make the Dialogs Modal.
>>
>> Someone mentioned putting <base target="_self"> into the head section of
>> the modal window to make it work. I tried putting it both pages just to
>> see if it would work and it doesn't seem to work.
>>
>> Does anyone know how to make these modal?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Tom

tshad

"Robbe Morris [C# MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> JavaScript Modal Dialog Box - Cross Browser and
> highly flexible.
>
> http://www.eggheadcafe.com/articles/...dal_dialog.asp

That looks like exactly what I was looking for. I haven't tried it in my
..net pages yet, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. BTW, is there a way
to make the links actual buttons? If not, that's fine.

Thanks,

Tom

> --
> 2005 Microsoft MVP C#
> Robbe Morris
> http://www.robbemorris.com
> http://www.learncsharp.net/home/listings.aspx
>

> "tshad" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:OQvOah%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I am using Andy Smiths Dialog windows, which work really well.
>>
>> My only problem is I am trying to make the Dialogs Modal.
>>
>> Someone mentioned putting <base target="_self"> into the head section of
>> the modal window to make it work. I tried putting it both pages just to
>> see if it would work and it doesn't seem to work.
>>
>> Does anyone know how to make these modal?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Tom

tshad

"TJS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> not quite modal because you can close the dialog without making a choice

I am definately not going to quibble, here. This is exactly what I need.

Is there a way to tell if the window was closed using the "x" or is there a
way to turn the "x" off?

Also, is the line:

ModalDialogInterval = window.setInterval("ModalDialogMaintainFocus()",5) ;

the one that makes it modal. I assume this is just resetting focus every 5
ms. Is there some reason for using 5 verses 10, 20 or 30 etc?

Thanks,

Tom

> "Robbe Morris [C# MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> JavaScript Modal Dialog Box - Cross Browser and
>> highly flexible.
>>
>> http://www.eggheadcafe.com/articles/...dal_dialog.asp
>>
>> --
>> 2005 Microsoft MVP C#
>> Robbe Morris
>> http://www.robbemorris.com
>> http://www.learncsharp.net/home/listings.aspx
>>

>> "tshad" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:OQvOah%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I am using Andy Smiths Dialog windows, which work really well.
>>>
>>> My only problem is I am trying to make the Dialogs Modal.
>>>
>>> Someone mentioned putting <base target="_self"> into the head section
>>> of the modal window to make it work. I tried putting it both pages just
>>> to see if it would work and it doesn't seem to work.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know how to make these modal?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Tom

tshad

I wanted to pass in the asp.net object where I want the result to go and
wanted to do something like:

function YesNoCancelReturnMethod(returnVar)
{
document.getElementById(returnVar).value = ModalDialog.value;
ModalDialogRemoveWatch();
}

but I can't figure out how the javascript call would go:

me','YesNoCancelReturnMethod(modalreturn1)');">Sho w Modal #1</a>

This doesn't work (which I didn't expect it would). But I can't figure out
how to get the variable name to the event.

Tom

"tshad" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "TJS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> not quite modal because you can close the dialog without making a choice

> I am definately not going to quibble, here. This is exactly what I need.
>
> Is there a way to tell if the window was closed using the "x" or is there
> a way to turn the "x" off?
>
> Also, is the line:
>
> ModalDialogInterval =
> window.setInterval("ModalDialogMaintainFocus()",5) ;
>
> the one that makes it modal. I assume this is just resetting focus every
> 5 ms. Is there some reason for using 5 verses 10, 20 or 30 etc?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tom
>>

>> "Robbe Morris [C# MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> JavaScript Modal Dialog Box - Cross Browser and
>>> highly flexible.
>>>
>>> http://www.eggheadcafe.com/articles/...dal_dialog.asp
>>>
>>> --
>>> 2005 Microsoft MVP C#
>>> Robbe Morris
>>> http://www.robbemorris.com
>>> http://www.learncsharp.net/home/listings.aspx
>>>

>>> "tshad" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:OQvOah%(E-Mail Removed)...

Mark Rae

"tshad" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Is there a way to tell if the window was closed using the "x"

If you look at the demo, when you click one of the links it returns "Yes",
"No" etc into the textbox. When you click the x in the top-right corner, it
returns an empty string into the textbox.

tshad

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "tshad" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > Is there a way to tell if the window was closed using the "x"

> If you look at the demo, when you click one of the links it returns "Yes",
> "No" etc into the textbox. When you click the x in the top-right corner,

it
> returns an empty string into the textbox.

So, I assume the best way to make it work would be to put something in the
textbox and then check if it is empty. If it is, the user pressed the "x"
to close the window.

I am having a problem with using this in an asp.net page using buttons.

I made a change where I pass the title and the name of the textbox to the
function, but otherwise it is the same. Here is the page I am using at the
moment:

*
<%@ Page Language="VB" trace="false" debug="true" AutoEventWireup="true"
ContentType="text/html" ResponseEncoding="iso-8859-1" %>
<!--#include virtual = '/Development/includes/ModalDialogs.inc'-->
<script runat="server">
sub page_load(s as object, e as eventArgs)
if not isPostBack then
Button1.Attributes.Add("onclick", "YesNoCancel('This is a
test','modalreturn2','Yes, no, or cancel me','YesNoCancelReturnMethod()');")
end if
end sub
</script>
<form runat="server">
<asp:Button ID="Button1" text="submit" runat="server"/><br>
<input type=text id=modalreturn2 name=modalreturn2 value=''><br>
Title','modalreturn2','Yes, no, or cancel
me','YesNoCancelReturnMethod()');">Show Modal #1</a>
</form>
************************************************** ************

In this page am calling the javascript popup from a link and a button. With
the link it works everytime I press the link. Once I use the button, it
doesn't work for the link anymore.

For the button, it opens the popup fine, but it never returns when I press
the link on the popup page. It only returns when I press the "x". It never
returns anything from the popup (not even the empty string when pressing the
"x").

At this point, neither the button nor the link will bring up the popup box.

What is the problem here?

Here is the page that is rendered from .aspx:

************************************************** ************************
<script language=JavaScript>

var ModalDialogWindow;
var ModalDialogInterval;
var ModalDialog = new Object;

ModalDialog.value = '';
ModalDialog.eventhandler = '';
ModalDialog.returnAddress = '';

function ModalDialogMaintainFocus()
{
try
{
if (ModalDialogWindow.closed)
{
window.clearInterval(ModalDialogInterval);
eval(ModalDialog.eventhandler);
return;
}
ModalDialogWindow.focus();
}
catch (everything) { }
}

function ModalDialogRemoveWatch()
{
ModalDialog.value = '';
ModalDialog.eventhandler = '';
}

function ModalDialogShow(Title,ReturnAddress,BodyText,Butto ns,EventHandler)
{
alert("this is a test");
ModalDialogRemoveWatch();
ModalDialog.eventhandler = EventHandler;
ModalDialog.returnAddress = ReturnAddress;

var args='width=350,height=125,left=325,top=300,toolba r=0,';
args+='location=0,status=0,menubar=0,scrollbars=1, resizable=0';

ModalDialogWindow=window.open("","",args);
ModalDialogWindow.document.open();
ModalDialogWindow.document.write('<html>');
ModalDialogWindow.document.write('<head>');
ModalDialogWindow.document.write('<style>body{back ground-color:
#B2CBD2;}</style>')
ModalDialogWindow.document.write('<title>' + Title + '</title>');
ModalDialogWindow.document.write('<script' + ' language=JavaScript>');
ModalDialogWindow.document.write('function CloseForm(Response) ');
ModalDialogWindow.document.write('{ ');
ModalDialogWindow.document.write(' window.opener.ModalDialog.value =
Response; ');
ModalDialogWindow.document.write(' window.close(); ');
ModalDialogWindow.document.write('} ');
ModalDialogWindow.document.write('</script' + '>');
ModalDialogWindow.document.write('</head>');
ModalDialogWindow.document.write('<body onblur="window.focus();">');
ModalDialogWindow.document.write('<table border=0 width="95%"
align=center cellspacing=0 cellpadding=2>');
ModalDialogWindow.document.write('<tr><td align=left>' + BodyText +
'</td></tr>');
ModalDialogWindow.document.write('<tr><td align=center>' + Buttons +
'</td></tr>');
ModalDialogWindow.document.write('</body>');
ModalDialogWindow.document.write('</html>');
ModalDialogWindow.document.close();
ModalDialogWindow.focus();
ModalDialogInterval = window.setInterval("ModalDialogMaintainFocus()",5) ;

}

</script>

<script language=JavaScript>

function YesNoCancel(Title,returnAddress,BodyText,EventHand ler)
{
var Buttons='';
Buttons = '<a href=javascript:CloseForm("Yes");>Yes</a> ';
Buttons += '<a href=javascript:CloseForm("No");>No</a> ';
Buttons += '<a href=javascript:CloseForm("Cancel");>Cancel</a> ';
ModalDialogShow(Title,returnAddress,BodyText,Butto ns,EventHandler);
}

function YesNoMaybe(Title,returnAddress,BodyText,EventHandl er)
{
var Buttons='';
Buttons = '<a
href=javascript:CloseForm("Yes");>Yes</a>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; ';
Buttons += '<a
href=javascript:CloseForm("No");>No</a>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; ';
Buttons += '<a href=javascript:CloseForm("Maybe");>Maybe</a> ';
ModalDialogShow(Title,ReturnAddress,BodyText,Butto ns,EventHandler);
}

function YesNoCancelReturnMethod()
{
document.getElementById(ModalDialog.returnAddress) .value =
ModalDialog.value;
ModalDialogRemoveWatch();
}

function YesNoMaybeReturnMethod()
{
document.getElementById(ModalDialog.returnAddress) .value =
ModalDialog.value;
ModalDialogRemoveWatch();
}

</script>

<form name="_ctl0" method="post" action="TMP28cypdoa6c.aspx" id="_ctl0">
<input type="hidden" name="__VIEWSTATE"
value="dDw5NjU1MTU1O3Q8O2w8aTwxPjs+O2w8dDw7bDxpPDE +Oz47bDx0PHA8O3A8bDxvbmNsa
WNrOz47bDxZZXNOb0NhbmNlbCgnVGhpcyBpcyBhIHRlc3QnLCd tb2RhbHJldHVybjInLCdZZXMsI
G5vLCBvciBjYW5jZWwgbWUnLCdZZXNOb0NhbmNlbFJldHVybk1 ldGhvZCgpJylcOzs+Pj47Oz47P
j47Pj47Pgp4F76kb7VjTMvhPLbWVoJO6PFw" />

<input type="submit" name="Button1" value="submit" id="Button1"
onclick="YesNoCancel('This is a test','modalreturn2','Yes, no, or cancel
me','YesNoCancelReturnMethod()');" /><br>
<input type=text id=modalreturn2 name=modalreturn2 value=''><br>
Title','modalreturn2','Yes, no, or cancel
me','YesNoCancelReturnMethod()');">Show Modal #1</a>
<input type=hidden name='_sk_scrollkeepervalue' id='_sk_scrollkeepervalue'
value='0!0'><script>function SKFilter_SetPosition(){
scrollTo(0,0);}</script><script language='javascript'>onscroll =
function(){document.getElementById('_sk_scrollkeep ervalue').value =
document.body.scrollLeft+'!' + document.body.scrollTop;}</script></form>

************************************************** ************************

Thanks,

Tom

Mark Rae

"tshad" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> If you look at the demo, when you click one of the links it returns
>> "Yes",
>> "No" etc into the textbox. When you click the x in the top-right corner,

> it
>> returns an empty string into the textbox.

> So, I assume the best way to make it work would be to put something in the
> textbox and then check if it is empty. If it is, the user pressed the "x"
> to close the window.

I guess so - or a JavaScript variable...