Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Asp.net DropDownList, AutoPostBack, and ViewState

Asp.net DropDownList, AutoPostBack, and ViewState

Corey

I'm trying to finish off do an ASP.NET project where a DropDownList box is
used to access a Table.
Once you Make a selection on an item in the DropDownListBox, it updates a
DataView, and text boxes on the form get updated.

I'd like to do this without a submit button.

Shouldn't the DropDownList box PostBack?
Why does SelectedIndexChanged never get hit?
Does the answer lie within ViewState?

Any Info will help...

Thanks.

Cor Ligthert

Corey,

Only the button has his autopostback standard set too true. For the other
controls you have to set that in the properties.

I hope this helps,

Cor

Corey

Thanks Cor.

I made the change to the text boxes. Unfortunately there's no change,
except now when I type in them i get an Javascript Error In Internet
Explorer which says

Error: Object expected

I think I know what is causing this. It's a parameter for a dataset, which
is missing.

But what i noticed with the DropDownList is when I changed it, I get a
javascript error for it too.
It says

Line: 1
Char: 1
Error: 'WebForm_PostBackOptions' is undefined
Code: 0

Does This Help at all? I've searched google and came up with very little.

Thanks.

"Cor Ligthert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Corey,
>
> Only the button has his autopostback standard set too true. For the other
> controls you have to set that in the properties.
>
> I hope this helps,
>
> Cor

Cor Ligthert

Corey,

> I made the change to the text boxes.

You said dropdownlist, that is the only place you should set the
autopostback to true in my opinion.

Cor

Corey

Yeah, I removed it from the text boxes before.

Any clues on my Javascript error?

"Cor Ligthert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Corey,
>
>> I made the change to the text boxes.

> You said dropdownlist, that is the only place you should set the
> autopostback to true in my opinion.
>
> Cor

Cor Ligthert

Corey,

Can you show by a little piece how you did your code, it is ASPNET and for
that are three possibilities.

Cor

Corey

Here's My Code

<asp:textbox id=txtFirstName style="Z-INDEX: 101; LEFT: 33px; POSITION:
absolute; TOP: 56px" runat="server" Width="235px" Height="23px" Text='<%#
DataBinder.Eval(dvUsers1, "[0].FirstName", "{0}") %>'>

</asp:textbox><asp:textbox id=txtLastName style="Z-INDEX: 102; LEFT:
34px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 99px" runat="server" Width="235px"
Height="24px" Text='<%# DataBinder.Eval(dvUsers1, "[0].LastName", "{0}")
%>'></asp:textbox><asp:datagrid id=DataGrid1 style="Z-INDEX: 103; LEFT:
323px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: -48px" runat="server" Width="386px"
Height="137px" Visible="False" DataMember="Users" DataKeyField="UserKey"
DataSource='<%# DataBinder.Eval(DsUsers1, "Tables[Users]") %>'>

</asp:datagrid><asp:dropdownlist id=DropDownList1 style="Z-INDEX: 104;
LEFT: 36px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 20px" runat="server" Width="227px"
Height="27px" DataMember="Users" DataSource="<%# DsUsers1 %>"
DataValueField="UserKey" EnableViewState="True" AutoPostBack="True"
DataTextField="UserID">

</asp:dropdownlist><asp:datagrid id=DataGrid2 style="Z-INDEX: 105; LEFT:
34px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 135px" runat="server"
DataMember="sp_RulesLookup" DataKeyField="ruledescr" DataSource="<%#
DsRulesLookup1 %>" AutoGenerateColumns="False">
<Columns>
<asp:BoundColumn DataField="ruledescr" SortExpression="ruledescr"
HeaderText="Rules"></asp:BoundColumn>
</Columns>
</asp:datagrid><asp:button id="Button1" style="Z-INDEX: 106; LEFT: 321px;
POSITION: absolute; TOP: 99px" runat="server" Width="250px" Height="28px"
Text="Save Changes"></asp:button><asp:button id="Button2" style="Z-INDEX:
107; LEFT: 324px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 141px" runat="server"
Width="253px" Height="28px" Text="Button"></asp:button></form>

"Cor Ligthert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Corey,
>
> Can you show by a little piece how you did your code, it is ASPNET and for
> that are three possibilities.
>
> Cor

Cor Ligthert

Corey,

This is the mainly RAD created part of your code.
I don't know if you have any VBcode so called code behind.

The problem with this is that I cannot simulate what you did, because it
depends on your evironment that you draged on your form.

However there must be as well a part wherin is that event from the
dropdownlist.

Cor

Alvin Bruney [ASP.NET MVP]

Why is the Xposted all over the place?

--
Regards,
Alvin Bruney

"Corey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:uju_d.69465$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> I'm trying to finish off do an ASP.NET project where a DropDownList box is
> used to access a Table.
> Once you Make a selection on an item in the DropDownListBox, it updates a
> DataView, and text boxes on the form get updated.
>
> I'd like to do this without a submit button.
>
> Shouldn't the DropDownList box PostBack?
> Why does SelectedIndexChanged never get hit?
> Does the answer lie within ViewState?
>
> Any Info will help...
>
> Thanks.

Corey

Any time i try to change the DropDownList I get a javascript error which
says "Error: 'WebForm_PostBackOptions' is undefined"
How can I restore this?

VB Code is as follows.

System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load

If Not IsPostBack Then

SqlDAUsers.Fill(DsUsers1)

DropDownList1.DataBind()

' DataGrid1.DataBind()

' dvUsers1.RowFilter = "Userkey = " & Me.ViewState("DropDownList1") '&
DsUsers1.Users.UserKeyColumn.ToString()

txtFirstName.DataBind()

txtLastName.DataBind()

SqlDARulesLookup.SelectCommand.Parameters.Item(1). Value =
DropDownList1.SelectedItem.Value

SqlDARulesLookup.Fill(DsRulesLookup1)

DataGrid2.DataBind()

End If

' Response.Write("Selected - " + DropDownList1.SelectedItem.Value)

' Response.Write("Uber Select - " & DropDownList1.SelectedIndex)

End Sub

Private Sub DropDownList1_SelectedIndexChanged(ByVal sender As
DropDownList1.SelectedIndexChanged

' txtFirstName.Text = DsUsers1.Users.FirstNameColumn.ToString

' txtLastName.Text = DsUsers1.Users.LastNameColumn.ToString

dvUsers1.RowFilter = "Userkey = " & DsUsers1.Users.UserKeyColumn.ToString()

txtFirstName.DataBind()

txtLastName.DataBind()

Response.Write("SelectedIndex!")

End Sub

System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click

Dim strSQLQuery As String

strSQLQuery = "UPDATE Users " _

& "SET FirstName = '" & Replace(txtFirstName.Text, "'", "''") & "', " _

& "LastName = '" & Replace(txtLastName.Text, "'", "''") & "' " _

& "WHERE UserKey = " & DropDownList1.SelectedItem.Value & ";"

'Response.Write(strSQLQuery)

SqlSaveCommand.CommandText = strSQLQuery

SqlUsers.Open()

SqlSaveCommand.ExecuteNonQuery()

SqlUsers.Close()

'update datasets?

End Sub

Private Sub Button2_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As
System.EventArgs) Handles Button2.Click

' Define Crystal Reports variables

Dim crReportDocument As ReportDocument

Dim crExportOptions As ExportOptions

Dim crDiskFileDestinationOptions As DiskFileDestinationOptions

Dim Fname As String

' The following code can be placed directly after the call to

' InitializeComponent() in the form's constructor, or inside of

' a Button_Click event where the button is used by the client to

' get a printable copy of the report.

crReportDocument = New ReportDocument()

' The following line of code loads the sample report "Chart.rpt" that
installs

' with Visual Studio .NET

crReportDocument.Load("C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\WebAppli cation3\CrystalReport2.rpt")

Fname = "C:\inetpub\wwwroot\WebApplication3\" & Session.SessionID.ToString &
".pdf"

crDiskFileDestinationOptions = New DiskFileDestinationOptions()

crDiskFileDestinationOptions.DiskFileName = Fname

crExportOptions = crReportDocument.ExportOptions

With crExportOptions

..DestinationOptions = crDiskFileDestinationOptions

..ExportDestinationType = ExportDestinationType.DiskFile

..ExportFormatType = ExportFormatType.PortableDocFormat

End With

crReportDocument.Refresh()

crReportDocument.Export()

' The following code writes the pdf file to the Client's browser.

Response.ClearContent()

Response.ClearHeaders()

Response.WriteFile(Fname)

Response.Flush()