Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Check to see if Active X Control is installed and display instructions if needed

Check to see if Active X Control is installed and display instructions if needed

Jay Douglas

I have a 3rd parth ActiveX control that needs to be displayed within a web
page. If the user doesn't have the ActiveX control installed on their
computer I would like to display instructions on installing the ActiveX
control (using IE v6 SP 2)..

I'm having a hard time determining client or server side if the ActiveX
control is installed.

If you have any links or suggestions I would appreciated them.

Thanks.

Scott Allen

When you use the <object> tag and the browser cannot create the
control, it will instead display any HTML markup you have inside.

For example, try something like:

<OBJECT CLASSID="...">
<SPAN STYLE="color:red">To install this control...
</SPAN>
</OBJECT>

--
Scott
http://www.OdeToCode.com/blogs/scott/

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 12:01:06 -0700, "Jay Douglas"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have a 3rd parth ActiveX control that needs to be displayed within a web
>page. If the user doesn't have the ActiveX control installed on their
>computer I would like to display instructions on installing the ActiveX
>control (using IE v6 SP 2)..
>
>I'm having a hard time determining client or server side if the ActiveX
>control is installed.
>
>If you have any links or suggestions I would appreciated them.
>
>Thanks.

Alvin Bruney [ASP.NET MVP]

You can do something like
if(Request.Browser.ActiveXControl)
{
Response.Write("<script>var obj = server.createobject("customcontrol");
if (obj == null) alert('need control blahble')</script>");

}
roughly
--
Regards,