Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > How to port a windows form project to ASP.NET

How to port a windows form project to ASP.NET

=?Utf-8?B?Q2V6YXI=?=

I have a quite simple windows form project. It uses one standard form, a
couple of simple controls including the tree control, and ADO.NET.
Is there a simple automated way to port, or at least try, the project to a
web forms project?
Thank you
Cezar Mart

Karl Seguin

Nope....

WebForms and WinForms use totally different controls and even programming
mechanisms....

Karl

--
MY ASP.Net tutorials
come!)

"Cezar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a quite simple windows form project. It uses one standard form, a
> couple of simple controls including the tree control, and ADO.NET.
> Is there a simple automated way to port, or at least try, the project to a
> web forms project?
> Thank you
> Cezar Mart

Derek Harmon

"Cezar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a quite simple windows form project. It uses one standard form, a
> couple of simple controls including the tree control, and ADO.NET.
> Is there a simple automated way to port, or at least try, the project to a
> web forms project?

For many simple WinForms controls you should be able to find a ready
equivalent. However, there is no tree control in ASP.NET 1.x, so that'll
probably put a damper on your plans. Try checking out third-party tools
if your user interface needs a tree view.

The good news is most of your code you've written to manage your data
in ADO.NET will move right over, but dealing with state management and
the request/response nature of WebForms are probably going to be a bit
of a shock, at least initially.

No, there's really no automated way to por, owing to some of the major
differences that underpin each platform (Win vs. Web). If you need an
architecture that targets Win and Web clients equally, then you might want
to write your user interface to be more data-driven (i.e., get all control
placement and parameter settings out of the database and dynamically
add the appropriate control type to the form/page).

Derek Harmon

Peter Rilling

Microsoft of have a Webcontrol set that contains a tree control. This can
be downloaded from their site. Just FYI.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...