Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Thunderbird filters

Thunderbird filters

graeme@invalid

Joe Kriger wrote:
> Does anyone know of a way to make thunderbird run filters automatically?
> I have set several filters but I have to go Tools > Run Filters on
> Folder to get them to work. Its not really a big deal, but I thought it
> would be nice if they would run automatically like in MSOE.
>
> thanks,
>
> Jowah

I only run filters on one newsgroup. It does run automatically but I
did not change any settings to get it to work. I did not even know
about Tools\Run Filters.
--

So long and thanks for all the fish.

Joe Kriger

Does anyone know of a way to make thunderbird run filters automatically?
I have set several filters but I have to go Tools > Run Filters on
Folder to get them to work. Its not really a big deal, but I thought it
would be nice if they would run automatically like in MSOE.

thanks,

Jowah

Leonidas Jones

Joe Kriger wrote:
> Does anyone know of a way to make thunderbird run filters automatically?
> I have set several filters but I have to go Tools > Run Filters on
> Folder to get them to work. Its not really a big deal, but I thought it
> would be nice if they would run automatically like in MSOE.
>
> thanks,
>
> Jowah

Hm, filters do run automatically here, whenever I download messages,
they are sorted into folders by my filters.

Could you be a little more about the behavior you are expecting, and
what happens instead?

Lee

Jowah

Leonidas Jones wrote:
> Joe Kriger wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know of a way to make thunderbird run filters
>> automatically? I have set several filters but I have to go Tools >
>> Run Filters on Folder to get them to work. Its not really a big deal,
>> but I thought it would be nice if they would run automatically like in
>> MSOE.
>>
>> thanks,
>>
>> Jowah

> Hm, filters do run automatically here, whenever I download messages,
> they are sorted into folders by my filters.
>
> Could you be a little more about the behavior you are expecting, and
> what happens instead?
>
> Lee

I'm not sure Lee. I leave thunderbird on every evening, and the only
emails that get moved automatically are junk emails. I have 5 different
filters defined, and none of them work unless I activate them manually.
Thanks for your help.

Jowah

Leonidas Jones

Jowah wrote:
> Leonidas Jones wrote:
>
>> Joe Kriger wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone know of a way to make thunderbird run filters
>>> automatically? I have set several filters but I have to go Tools >
>>> Run Filters on Folder to get them to work. Its not really a big
>>> deal, but I thought it would be nice if they would run automatically
>>> like in MSOE.
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>>
>>> Jowah

>> Hm, filters do run automatically here, whenever I download messages,
>> they are sorted into folders by my filters.
>>
>> Could you be a little more about the behavior you are expecting, and
>> what happens instead?
>>
>> Lee

> I'm not sure Lee. I leave thunderbird on every evening, and the only
> emails that get moved automatically are junk emails. I have 5 different
> filters defined, and none of them work unless I activate them manually.
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Jowah

I have filters on several email accounts. Wren new mail is downloaded,
these filters sort the mail into folders as intended.

Custom designed filters should take precedence over the JMC, simply
meaning that they run first. This is handy for email lists or
newsletters that the JMC might flag.

Could you give an example of one of your filters and how it is set up?
Maybe we can see what is going wrong.

Lee

Jowah

Leonidas Jones wrote:
> Jowah wrote:

>>> Hm, filters do run automatically here, whenever I download messages,
>>> they are sorted into folders by my filters.
>>>
>>> Could you be a little more about the behavior you are expecting, and
>>> what happens instead?
>>>
>>> Lee

>> I'm not sure Lee. I leave thunderbird on every evening, and the only
>> emails that get moved automatically are junk emails. I have 5
>> different filters defined, and none of them work unless I activate
>> them manually. Thanks for your help.
>>
>> Jowah

> I have filters on several email accounts. Wren new mail is downloaded,
> these filters sort the mail into folders as intended.
>
> Custom designed filters should take precedence over the JMC, simply
> meaning that they run first. This is handy for email lists or
> newsletters that the JMC might flag.
>
> Could you give an example of one of your filters and how it is set up?
> Maybe we can see what is going wrong.
>
> Lee

My filters are very simple. I use them mostly for ebay and paypal.
They send my various notices about auctions, always from the same 3 or 4
addresses so I set up a few very simple filters. For example: when
sender is http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) move to ebay/paypal folder. I have
several folders set up to organize my messages and that is just one of
them. I dont know if it matters, but all of these folders were imported
from MSOE. Thanks to everyone for your help.

Jowah

Nicolas Chevreux

Hello,

Joe Kriger wrote in an email dated 27/Nov/04 01:48:
> Does anyone know of a way to make thunderbird run filters automatically?
> I have set several filters but I have to go Tools > Run Filters on
> Folder to get them to work. Its not really a big deal, but I thought it
> would be nice if they would run automatically like in MSOE.

If your filter are set for "Local folders", they will probably not work.
Try setting them for the account (email address) you are receiving your
emails to.

Nicolas
--
Ad Noiseam
www.adnoiseam.net

SteveG

Jowah,

I know it's no consolation but I'm having exactly the same problem. My
folders were imported from OE too.

Regards
Steve G

Joe Kriger wrote:

> Does anyone know of a way to make thunderbird run filters
> automatically? I have set several filters but I have to go Tools >
> Run Filters on Folder to get them to work. Its not really a big deal,
> but I thought it would be nice if they would run automatically like in
> MSOE.
>
> thanks,
>
> Jowah

Jowah

SteveG <"s.goodfellow"@blueyonder dot> wrote:
> Jowah,
>
> I know it's no consolation but I'm having exactly the same problem. My
> folders were imported from OE too.
>
> Regards
> Steve G
>
> Joe Kriger wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know of a way to make thunderbird run filters
>> automatically? I have set several filters but I have to go Tools >
>> Run Filters on Folder to get them to work. Its not really a big deal,
>> but I thought it would be nice if they would run automatically like in
>> MSOE.
>>
>> thanks,
>>
>> Jowah

It must be the OE import thing because nothing is working. I also just
noticed that I have two main profiles. In settings, one is listed with
no settings dialogue and t-bird says, "this is a special acct. there
are no identities associated with it". And the other account, which is
the one I use regularly, shows all the pop3 settings and so on. I guess
I need to figure out a way to backup all my messages, so I can remove
and replace this installation of t-bird and then I will just have to
create all my own folders and manually import the messages.

Leonidas Jones

Jowah wrote:
> SteveG <"s.goodfellow"@blueyonder dot> wrote:
>
>> Jowah,
>>
>> I know it's no consolation but I'm having exactly the same problem. My
>> folders were imported from OE too.
>>
>> Regards
>> Steve G
>>
>> Joe Kriger wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone know of a way to make thunderbird run filters
>>> automatically? I have set several filters but I have to go Tools >
>>> Run Filters on Folder to get them to work. Its not really a big
>>> deal, but I thought it would be nice if they would run automatically
>>> like in MSOE.
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>>
>>> Jowah

> It must be the OE import thing because nothing is working. I also just
> noticed that I have two main profiles. In settings, one is listed with
> no settings dialogue and t-bird says, "this is a special acct. there
> are no identities associated with it". And the other account, which is
> the one I use regularly, shows all the pop3 settings and so on. I guess
> I need to figure out a way to backup all my messages, so I can remove
> and replace this installation of t-bird and then I will just have to
> create all my own folders and manually import the messages.

Note Graeme's suggestion. Imported folders from OE are stored in Local
Folders. Move them int the accounts own folders, and redirect the
filters. It should work.

Lee