Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Keep previous page position after postback

Keep previous page position after postback

Ken McCrory

I have a registration page where visitors are registering for a meeting. At
the bottom is a button for them to recalculate the total fees. When they
click the button it does recalculate the fees correctly but it positions the
page at the top. I want the page to be positioned where it was when they
clicked the Recalculate button, near the bottom of the page. This same
behavior exists for controls that have the Autopostback set to true.
Clicking on those controls "refreshes" the page and leaves it at the top.
This could be annoying for someone filling out the page and moving from top
to bottom.

Ken "BiggMakk" McCrory

=?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXM=?=

Hot topic, I first tried Smartnavigation and ran into too many client
browsers, even IE, that had issues with its use. Found this control, below,
works well and was free. Give it a try.

http://www.strengthtechnologies.com/.../Download.aspx

Smart scroller.

I here there are JavaScript approaches but have yet to find one.

Hope this helps.

"Ken McCrory" wrote:

> I have a registration page where visitors are registering for a meeting. At
> the bottom is a button for them to recalculate the total fees. When they
> click the button it does recalculate the fees correctly but it positions the
> page at the top. I want the page to be positioned where it was when they
> clicked the Recalculate button, near the bottom of the page. This same
> behavior exists for controls that have the Autopostback set to true.
> Clicking on those controls "refreshes" the page and leaves it at the top.
> This could be annoying for someone filling out the page and moving from top
> to bottom.
>
> Ken "BiggMakk" McCrory

Peter Rilling

Take a look at the SmartNavigation feature of .NET.

"Ken McCrory" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a registration page where visitors are registering for a meeting.

At
> the bottom is a button for them to recalculate the total fees. When they
> click the button it does recalculate the fees correctly but it positions

the
> page at the top. I want the page to be positioned where it was when they
> clicked the Recalculate button, near the bottom of the page. This same
> behavior exists for controls that have the Autopostback set to true.
> Clicking on those controls "refreshes" the page and leaves it at the top.
> This could be annoying for someone filling out the page and moving from

top
> to bottom.
>
> Ken "BiggMakk" McCrory

vMike

"Ken McCrory" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a registration page where visitors are registering for a meeting.

At
> the bottom is a button for them to recalculate the total fees. When they
> click the button it does recalculate the fees correctly but it positions

the
> page at the top. I want the page to be positioned where it was when they
> clicked the Recalculate button, near the bottom of the page. This same
> behavior exists for controls that have the Autopostback set to true.
> Clicking on those controls "refreshes" the page and leaves it at the top.
> This could be annoying for someone filling out the page and moving from

top
> to bottom.
>
> Ken "BiggMakk" McCrory

You can try smart navigation but I had trouble with it. Otherwise you can
use javascript

{document.getElementById('yourid').scrollIntoView( );}

Mike

Ken McCrory

WOW!!! You helped tremdously! You're right about the SmartNavigation. It
works fine in IE for this web page but it didn't work at all when I tried
the page in Firefox. I downloaded the Smart Scroller and it works even in
Firefox! This solves my other problem I was having because now I can turn on
Autopostback and not see the annoying scroll back to the top of the page.

Ken "BiggMakk" McCrory

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hot topic, I first tried Smartnavigation and ran into too many client
> browsers, even IE, that had issues with its use. Found this control,
> below,
> works well and was free. Give it a try.
>
> http://www.strengthtechnologies.com/.../Download.aspx
>
> Smart scroller.
>
> I here there are JavaScript approaches but have yet to find one.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> "Ken McCrory" wrote:
>
>> I have a registration page where visitors are registering for a meeting.
>> At
>> the bottom is a button for them to recalculate the total fees. When they
>> click the button it does recalculate the fees correctly but it positions
>> the
>> page at the top. I want the page to be positioned where it was when they
>> clicked the Recalculate button, near the bottom of the page. This same
>> behavior exists for controls that have the Autopostback set to true.
>> Clicking on those controls "refreshes" the page and leaves it at the top.
>> This could be annoying for someone filling out the page and moving from
>> top
>> to bottom.
>>
>> Ken "BiggMakk" McCrory

Ken McCrory

Thanks. I hadn't heard of that until now. It does help when using IE but not
in other browsers (see post above).
--
Ken "BiggMakk" McCrory

news:(E-Mail Removed)...