Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Excel automation

Excel automation

Nigel Stratton

I am wanting to export a datagrid to Excel and I can make a late-binding,
automation reference to Excel and run Excel but I cannot activate it. It
shows up under processes but I cannot make it appear as a program. I used to
get this when I would automate Excel and not .Activate() it. This works in
winforms but not webforms. Any ideas?

Alvin Bruney [ASP.NET MVP]

The server has no user-interface piece so i am not sure what you are
expecting. When you automate excel, the stuff is done on the server,
in-memory. there will be no front end piece. If what you seek is a front end
piece, you will have to use a third party component for that.

--
Regards,
Alvin Bruney

[Shameless Author Plug]
available at www.lulu.com/owc

"Nigel Stratton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am wanting to export a datagrid to Excel and I can make a late-binding,
>automation reference to Excel and run Excel but I cannot activate it. It
>shows up under processes but I cannot make it appear as a program. I used
>to get this when I would automate Excel and not .Activate() it. This works
>in winforms but not webforms. Any ideas?

Nigel Stratton

Ah, of course! I was trying to run this on my local IIS but as soon as it
moves into production it *cannot* work.

"Alvin Bruney [ASP.NET MVP]" <www.lulu.com/owc> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The server has no user-interface piece so i am not sure what you are
> expecting. When you automate excel, the stuff is done on the server,
> in-memory. there will be no front end piece. If what you seek is a front
> end piece, you will have to use a third party component for that.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Alvin Bruney
>
> [Shameless Author Plug]
> available at www.lulu.com/owc
>
> "Nigel Stratton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I am wanting to export a datagrid to Excel and I can make a late-binding,
>>automation reference to Excel and run Excel but I cannot activate it. It
>>shows up under processes but I cannot make it appear as a program. I used
>>to get this when I would automate Excel and not .Activate() it. This works
>>in winforms but not webforms. Any ideas?

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

There are many ways to export to Excel, but COM automation is usually not
the best way in ASP.NET.
Here are a lot of examples for you, including a code sample that works
fairly reliably using the COM technique:

http://SteveOrr.net/Articles/ExcelExport.aspx

--
I hope this helps,
Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP