Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > .Net 2.0: web site not running

.Net 2.0: web site not running

Markus

Hi

i'm trying to run a .Net web site perfectly working with .Net version
1.1 under visual studio 2005 beta 2.
accessing the site using debug mode works smoothly but when i publish
the site to a web site and try to access it i always get this error

Failed to access IIS metabase.

Exception Details: System.Web.Hosting.HostingEnvironmentException:
Failed to access IIS metabase.

The process account used to run ASP.NET must have read access to the
IIS metabase (e.g. IIS://servername/W3SVC). For information on
modifying metabase permissions, please see
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=267904.

using the metaacl tool didn't help at all.
what did I miss?

tia
Markus

Scott Allen

Hi Markus:

When does the exception occur - when you are running your application
or when you are deploying?

--
Scott
http://www.OdeToCode.com/blogs/scott/

On 9 Mar 2005 06:30:43 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Markus) wrote:

>Hi
>
>i'm trying to run a .Net web site perfectly working with .Net version
>1.1 under visual studio 2005 beta 2.
>accessing the site using debug mode works smoothly but when i publish
>the site to a web site and try to access it i always get this error
>
>Failed to access IIS metabase.
>the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more
>information about the error and where it originated in the code.
>
>Exception Details: System.Web.Hosting.HostingEnvironmentException:
>Failed to access IIS metabase.
>
>The process account used to run ASP.NET must have read access to the
>IIS metabase (e.g. IIS://servername/W3SVC). For information on
>modifying metabase permissions, please see
>http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=267904.
>
>using the metaacl tool didn't help at all.
>what did I miss?
>
>tia
>Markus

=?Utf-8?B?TWFya3Vz?=

Hi Scott

thanks for looking into this.
deploying to a web site works without error.
then accessing the default.aspx fails in the described way.

my development box is a windows xp professional sp2 with iis 5.1.

Markus

"Scott Allen" wrote:

> Hi Markus:
>
> When does the exception occur - when you are running your application
> or when you are deploying?
>
> --
> Scott
> http://www.OdeToCode.com/blogs/scott/
>

> On 9 Mar 2005 06:30:43 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) (Markus) wrote:
>
> >Hi
> >
> >i'm trying to run a .Net web site perfectly working with .Net version
> >1.1 under visual studio 2005 beta 2.
> >accessing the site using debug mode works smoothly but when i publish
> >the site to a web site and try to access it i always get this error
> >
> >Failed to access IIS metabase.
> >the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more
> >information about the error and where it originated in the code.
> >
> >Exception Details: System.Web.Hosting.HostingEnvironmentException:
> >Failed to access IIS metabase.
> >
> >The process account used to run ASP.NET must have read access to the
> >IIS metabase (e.g. IIS://servername/W3SVC). For information on
> >modifying metabase permissions, please see
> >http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=267904.
> >
> >using the metaacl tool didn't help at all.
> >what did I miss?
> >
> >tia
> >Markus

Scott Allen

Hey Markus:

Offhand I don't know the source of the error. Does your code try to
modify the metabase? Do you know what account your asp.net code is
executing under?

You might want to enable some auditing to see if you can get more
information from the event log:
http://www.pluralsight.com/keith/boo...eauditing.html

--
Scott
http://www.OdeToCode.com/blogs/scott/

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 00:35:04 -0800, Markus
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi Scott
>
>thanks for looking into this.
>deploying to a web site works without error.
>then accessing the default.aspx fails in the described way.
>
>my development box is a windows xp professional sp2 with iis 5.1.
>
>Markus

=?Utf-8?B?TWFya3Vz?=

Hey Scott,
i'll give it a try with auditing.

coming back to your question,
there is no code modification of the metabase whatsoever. the users are
connecting to the application using windows authentication, the accounts i
tested with are admins on the appserver.
isn't the code executed under this user id?

any idea on how i can modify the metabase according to the error message?

thanks
Markus

"Scott Allen" wrote:

> Hey Markus:
>
> Offhand I don't know the source of the error. Does your code try to
> modify the metabase? Do you know what account your asp.net code is
> executing under?
>
> You might want to enable some auditing to see if you can get more
> information from the event log:
> http://www.pluralsight.com/keith/boo...eauditing.html
>

> --
> Scott
> http://www.OdeToCode.com/blogs/scott/
>
> On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 00:35:04 -0800, Markus
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Hi Scott
> >
> >thanks for looking into this.
> >deploying to a web site works without error.
> >then accessing the default.aspx fails in the described way.
> >
> >my development box is a windows xp professional sp2 with iis 5.1.
> >
> >Markus

Scott Allen

Hi Markus:

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 07:27:06 -0800, Markus
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hey Scott,
>i'll give it a try with auditing.
>
>coming back to your question,
>there is no code modification of the metabase whatsoever. the users are
>connecting to the application using windows authentication, the accounts i
>tested with are admins on the appserver.
>isn't the code executed under this user id?

Only if you tell asp.net to impersonate the client (<identity
impersonate="true"/> in the web.config). Otherwise the ASPNET (IIS 5)
or NETWORK SERVICE (IIS 6) local accounts are doing the work by
default.

>any idea on how i can modify the metabase according to the error message?

I'd give impersonation a try to see if it can solve the error. I
wouldn't want to lessen the permissions on the metabase unless I
really had to.

On the other hand this seems like a strange error to see if you are
not trying to modify the metabase intentionally. Perhaps reinstalling
ASP.NET on the machine (with aspnet_regiis -i) might be helpful.

--
Scott
http://www.OdeToCode.com/blogs/scott/

=?Utf-8?B?TWFya3Vz?=

Hi Scott,

this is Microsoft Beta country, so never forget the reinstall option
I've upgraded my machine to a newer build, (3 GB downloads are not that
common and not done on a daily basis) and now the problem is gone.

again thanks for your assistance.

Markus

"Scott Allen" wrote:

> Hi Markus:
>
> On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 07:27:06 -0800, Markus
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Hey Scott,
> >i'll give it a try with auditing.
> >
> >coming back to your question,
> >there is no code modification of the metabase whatsoever. the users are
> >connecting to the application using windows authentication, the accounts i
> >tested with are admins on the appserver.
> >isn't the code executed under this user id?

> Only if you tell asp.net to impersonate the client (<identity
> impersonate="true"/> in the web.config). Otherwise the ASPNET (IIS 5)
> or NETWORK SERVICE (IIS 6) local accounts are doing the work by
> default.
>

> >any idea on how i can modify the metabase according to the error message?
> >

> I'd give impersonation a try to see if it can solve the error. I
> wouldn't want to lessen the permissions on the metabase unless I
> really had to.
>
> On the other hand this seems like a strange error to see if you are
> not trying to modify the metabase intentionally. Perhaps reinstalling
> ASP.NET on the machine (with aspnet_regiis -i) might be helpful.
>
> --
> Scott
> http://www.OdeToCode.com/blogs/scott/

Scott Allen

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 02:43:04 -0800, Markus
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi Scott,
>
>this is Microsoft Beta country, so never forget the reinstall option
>I've upgraded my machine to a newer build, (3 GB downloads are not that
>common and not done on a daily basis) and now the problem is gone.
>
>again thanks for your assistance.

No problem, glad it worked out. Some of those CTP builds especially
can be wonky.