Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > session vars how many is to many ?

session vars how many is to many ?

=?Utf-8?B?U3R1?=

Hi,

I ve read a while ago that you should use session variables
sparingly ?

So the question im asking is how many is to many?
is it server memory dependant and therefore i can just use more ram ?
is there any calculation u can do to determin how much memroy session is
taking up per user ?

Etc

I have a session class which holds about 20 set/get properties which i write
to session

TIA

Stu

Peter Rilling

Probably just limited by memory.

"Stu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I ve read a while ago that you should use session variables
> sparingly ?
>
> So the question im asking is how many is to many?
> is it server memory dependant and therefore i can just use more ram ?
> is there any calculation u can do to determin how much memroy session is
> taking up per user ?
>
> Etc
>
> I have a session class which holds about 20 set/get properties which i
> write
> to session
>
> TIA
>
> Stu

=?Utf-8?B?RG90TmV0SmVyb21l?=

Hi,

Actually there is no count for the max limit of session variable count....
but when the no. grows...the memorey consumed byur app. also grows...

Read more here.... http://www.eggheadcafe.com/articles/20021016.asp

Cheers,

Jerome. M

"Stu" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I ve read a while ago that you should use session variables
> sparingly ?
>
> So the question im asking is how many is to many?
> is it server memory dependant and therefore i can just use more ram ?
> is there any calculation u can do to determin how much memroy session is
> taking up per user ?
>
> Etc
>
> I have a session class which holds about 20 set/get properties which i write
> to session
>
> TIA
>
> Stu

WJ

"Stu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I ve read a while ago that you should use session variables
> sparingly ?

If stored to disk then it should not matter as long as there is space on
disk.

John

gaidar

But if session object will grow in size to VERY BIG then performance of your
application decreases. So - test, test and test before publish your
application to production server.

"WJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Stu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I ve read a while ago that you should use session variables
>> sparingly ?

> If stored to disk then it should not matter as long as there is space on
> disk.
>
> John

WJ

"gaidar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

> But if session object will grow in size to VERY BIG ....

If session ever reaches this ...magnitude.... Then one should reconsider
design strategy for the application. To me, session is for application/user
experiences or so called "convenience". Such repetitive data as punching in
user Login credential or names... or data that is considered short term are
suitable for session. For performances over port 80, if you have to deliver
100,000 records per request, then the application is not suitable for
interactive web usage.

John

Use self.vars in class.method(parameters, self.vars) caccolangrifata Python 18 07-22-2011 10:22 PM
How do I declare global vars or class vars in Python ? Linuxguy123 Python 7 02-20-2009 06:45 PM
app vars and cache vars Jon ASP .Net 3 12-14-2004 08:52 PM
Re: Session vars Natty Gur ASP .Net 0 06-25-2003 02:59 PM
Re: Session vars Justin SB ASP .Net 0 06-25-2003 02:09 PM

Advertisments