Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Plugins for "Google, Amazon, Dictionary", etc.

Plugins for "Google, Amazon, Dictionary", etc.

maradcliff@UNLISTED.com

In my top toolbar there is a list of search engines for "Google,
Amazon, Dictionary Yahoo,", etc. For the longest time I could not
figure out why nothing happened when I clicked on them. Then I
clicked "Add Engines" and found that I am supposed to have some sort
of plugin. WHY?????
What does this plugin do?
I am a little uncomfortable using them, as they might track my usage
of them or something........

What's the deal with this?

Also, I'd actually prefer to just remove that option from my toolbars.
I dont need it, because my home page is a HTML file (on my own
harddrive) that I created. It contains all the links I need for
search engines and everything else I might ever need.

Also, I learned about Ebay the hard way, and will never use them
again. I do not want them even listed as a link.

If there is a way to remove that option, please let me know how. I
could find better use for that part of my screen.

Thanks

Mark

Leonidas Jones

> In my top toolbar there is a list of search engines for "Google,
> Amazon, Dictionary Yahoo,", etc. For the longest time I could not
> figure out why nothing happened when I clicked on them. Then I
> clicked "Add Engines" and found that I am supposed to have some sort
> of plugin. WHY?????
> What does this plugin do?
> I am a little uncomfortable using them, as they might track my usage
> of them or something........
>
> What's the deal with this?
>
> Also, I'd actually prefer to just remove that option from my toolbars.
> I dont need it, because my home page is a HTML file (on my own
> harddrive) that I created. It contains all the links I need for
> search engines and everything else I might ever need.
>
> Also, I learned about Ebay the hard way, and will never use them
> again. I do not want them even listed as a link.
>
> If there is a way to remove that option, please let me know how. I
> could find better use for that part of my screen.
>
> Thanks
>
> Mark

Hm, looking in about:config, I see:

browser.search.order.1

Followed by a list of browser.search.order prefs. You could try setting
the values of these prefs to blank, and see if the option goes away.

If that doesn't do it. you will probably have to edit prefs.js manually
to get rid of them.

Or, just don't click on the search engine icon in the search bar. Out
of sight, out of mind!

Lee

avalanche

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 02:51:26 GMT, Leonidas Jones <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> In my top toolbar there is a list of search engines for "Google,
>> Amazon, Dictionary Yahoo,", etc. For the longest time I could not
>> figure out why nothing happened when I clicked on them. Then I
>> clicked "Add Engines" and found that I am supposed to have some sort
>> of plugin. WHY?????
>> What does this plugin do?
>> I am a little uncomfortable using them, as they might track my usage
>> of them or something........
>>
>> What's the deal with this?
>>
>> Also, I'd actually prefer to just remove that option from my toolbars.
>> I dont need it, because my home page is a HTML file (on my own
>> harddrive) that I created. It contains all the links I need for
>> search engines and everything else I might ever need.
>>
>> Also, I learned about Ebay the hard way, and will never use them
>> again. I do not want them even listed as a link.
>>
>> If there is a way to remove that option, please let me know how. I
>> could find better use for that part of my screen.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Mark
>>

>Hm, looking in about:config, I see:

what/where/why is this about:config? Thanks.

>browser.search.order.1
>
>Followed by a list of browser.search.order prefs. You could try setting
>the values of these prefs to blank, and see if the option goes away.
>
>If that doesn't do it. you will probably have to edit prefs.js manually
>to get rid of them.
>
>Or, just don't click on the search engine icon in the search bar. Out
>of sight, out of mind!
>
>Lee

Basil

>>Hm, looking in about:config, I see:

> what/where/why is this about:config? Thanks.

Just type about:config in your address bar.
--
Basil

:: BRIAN ::

(On 11/16/2004 8:44 PM) (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> In my top toolbar there is a list of search engines for "Google,
> Amazon, Dictionary Yahoo,", etc. For the longest time I could not
> figure out why nothing happened when I clicked on them. Then I
> clicked "Add Engines" and found that I am supposed to have some sort
> of plugin. WHY?????

Nothing happens unless you type something in the little input box and
hit enter.

> What does this plugin do?
> I am a little uncomfortable using them, as they might track my usage
> of them or something........
>
> What's the deal with this?

I can only imagine what it would be like to be so paranoid.

It is helpful to mention which product you are talking about when you
ask for help. However, the search plug-ins are fairly similar in both
products, so you should be able to fix your "problem" with this information.

Firstly, Mozilla/FF isn't tracking your usage, and neither are those
plug-ins. Using the search plug-ins is nearly identical to going to the
site and using their search...

Regardless, if you are still concerned with the evil search tool
functions, then open up the associated .src file in the [..\Mozilla
Firefox\searchplugins] directory with a text editor, and examine them
for yourself.

If you still really want to completely remove the plug-ins, then just
remove the aforementioned files. Done. Read the rest of this post to
remove the actual input box.

> Also, I'd actually prefer to just remove that option from my toolbars.
> I dont need it, because my home page is a HTML file (on my own
> harddrive) that I created. It contains all the links I need for
> search engines and everything else I might ever need.
>
> Also, I learned about Ebay the hard way, and will never use them
> again. I do not want them even listed as a link.

What is so bad about eBay? When you know something that is bad, it
would be nice to explain what in the hell you are talking about. What
did you learn? I use eBay all the time; what should I be worried about?
I really don't care if they track everything I search for or sell...
it's not like I'm searching for anything illegal or embarrassing

> If there is a way to remove that option, please let me know how. I
> could find better use for that part of my screen.

What are you going to use that part of your screen for? If the real
estate is what you needed, then you could have removed the item long ago
by simply right-clicking on the toolbar, and remove the search item.
Presto... instant space.

--
Brian

Email Info -
http://68.1.17.8/p0nykiller/email.htm

[Do not take any offense to this post -- I always sound like a dick]

firefox plugins/extensions Anon Firefox 2 09-08-2004 11:27 AM
Plugins, Etc. Spike Firefox 4 09-02-2004 07:13 AM
How to swap plugins/extensions between 2 computer / various version of Mozilla Firefox? Chaos Master Firefox 0 07-10-2004 05:00 AM
plugins Davide Laneri Firefox 1 01-29-2004 09:46 AM
Java Plugins and Mozilla Doug Firefox 0 08-08-2003 05:52 AM

Advertisments