Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Sun to Give Out Operating System for Free

Reply
Thread Tools

Sun to Give Out Operating System for Free

 
 
Rich
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-15-2004
Sun to Give Out Operating System for Free
What impact do you think this will have on Lindows and Window$?


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
John
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-15-2004
On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 12:34:38 -0500, "Rich" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Sun to Give Out Operating System for Free


Says who?

>What impact do you think this will have on Lindows and Window$?
>

That'll depend on a lot of things . . . .
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Dennis Henderson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-15-2004
John wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 12:34:38 -0500, "Rich" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Sun to Give Out Operating System for Free

>
> Says who?


Says Sun:
http://wwws.sun.com/software/solaris...press/get.html
--
Dennis Henderson
 
Reply With Quote
 
John
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-15-2004
On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 17:06:19 -0500, Dennis Henderson
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>John wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 12:34:38 -0500, "Rich" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>Sun to Give Out Operating System for Free

>>
>> Says who?

>
>Says Sun:
>http://wwws.sun.com/software/solaris...press/get.html


Thanks, Dennis.
Now I've got to figure out what - if anything - I'm going to do with this.
Are you aware of any newsgroups dealing with this?

 
Reply With Quote
 
Mark R. Blain
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-15-2004
On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 17:14:50 -0500, John wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 17:06:19 -0500, Dennis Henderson
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>John wrote:
>>
>>> On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 12:34:38 -0500, "Rich" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>
>>>>Sun to Give Out Operating System for Free
>>>
>>> Says who?

>>
>>Says Sun:
>>http://wwws.sun.com/software/solaris...press/get.html

>
> Thanks, Dennis.
> Now I've got to figure out what - if anything - I'm going to do with this.
> Are you aware of any newsgroups dealing with this?


<news:comp.unix.solaris>
<news:alt.solaris.x86>

--
Mark R. Blain, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)lid
(change .INVALID to .NET to reply)
 
Reply With Quote
 
John Thompson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-16-2004
On 2004-11-15, Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Sun to Give Out Operating System for Free
> What impact do you think this will have on Lindows and Window$?


Not much. Solaris 9 has been freely available for a couple years already.

--

-John ((E-Mail Removed))
 
Reply With Quote
 
John Thompson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-16-2004
On 2004-11-15, John <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 12:34:38 -0500, "Rich" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Sun to Give Out Operating System for Free

>
> Says who?


Sez Sun Microsystems. I'm downloading Solaris 10 isos from Sun as I type
this: http://wwws.sun.com/software/solaris...press/get.html

--

-John ((E-Mail Removed))
 
Reply With Quote
 
Simon Kellett
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-16-2004
John Thompson <(E-Mail Removed)2.dhs.org> writes:

> Not much. Solaris 9 has been freely available for a couple years
> already.


And IIRC Solaris 8 for x86.

(Note IIRC that the Solaris 10 offer does not include the source yet,
and does not include patch updates).

--
Simon Kellett, Darmstadt, Germany | http://home.arcor.de/zoxed
Gentoo Linux, Fvwm, Firefox | Xemacs, vm, Gnus
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why does it worth sun to give java sdk away for free? levilista@gmail.com Java 16 04-10-2007 08:02 PM
Sun Updates Sun Java Availability Suite, Adds Sun Cluster Advanced Edition for Oracle Real Application Clusters Deployments technology_post@yahoo.com Java 0 04-05-2006 04:29 AM
Sun to Give Out Operating System for Free texan.usenet@texas.removethisbit.com NZ Computing 4 11-17-2004 08:44 AM
Diff of Sun Java System AppServer vs. SunONE Server vs. Sun Java System Web Server ? Ulf Meinhardt Java 0 11-11-2004 09:40 PM
sun reflector sugestions to keep sun out of the eyes Nickyvonbuskergr Digital Photography 2 09-29-2003 02:16 AM



Advertisments