Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASPNET User on Win Server 2003 Domain Controller

ASPNET User on Win Server 2003 Domain Controller

SL

How do I set up access to a file on a Windows Server 2003
Domain Controller that also has IIS? The file sits on
another server. The Domain Controller / IIS server
connects to this file through a share. Domain controllers
have no local users so ASPNET user is not available.

Microsoft states, "On Windows 2003 domain controller
servers, ASP.NET applications run under the NETWORK
SERVICE identity (regardless of the IIS isolation mode).
Under some circumstances, running ASP.NET on a domain
controller requires that you take extra steps to make the
installation work properly."

1) What is the Network Service identity?

2) What permissions do I setup on the Win Server 2003 to
the file on the file server for the Network Service
identity?

3) What users and / or permissions, if any, do I setup on
the file on the file server to enable the domain
controller / IIS server to read and write to the file
server file?

bruce barker

the Network Service identity is a generic local account created on 2003
servers that services (like asp.net) can run under. it a fairly
non-privileged local account. this account (whitout some hacking) can not be
used to access network shares.

you want to create a low-privileged domain account for this purpose, and
have asp.net run under it. (see machine account).

if iis needs access, you map the shares and supply a domain account/password
in the vdir.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

news:158d01c51deb$20b8a8e0$(E-Mail Removed)...