Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Adding a web application project to source control (Visual Source Safe)

Adding a web application project to source control (Visual Source Safe)

~~~ .NET Ed ~~~

I have a couple of websites that I develop locally on WinXP Pro and these
have their virtual directories mapped to another local drive (i.e.
E:\Websites\*) rather than the default C:\inetpub\wwwroot\* location.

Using VS.NET 2003 I wanted to add my solution to source control (local VSS
database as well) but was unable to do it because it complained that the
path did not correspond to c:\inetpub\wwwroot or something like that. Does
that mean that the only way to keep web projects under source control is if
your virtual directory is under the IIS root directory rather than your own?

Thx,
Emilio

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

Using the IDE, you are locked in a box. But, you can get around this by
adding the source via SourceSafe, then getting latest to the directory you
specified. Once you do that, you are golden.

The interaction between SourceSafe, IIS and Visual Studio is the issue here.
It is not a new problem, as those securing source with ASP sites experienced
much of the same.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SD, SE, DBA