Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > release resources

release resources

JohnZing

Hi, I'm having a problem with our asp.net server.

Regularly, lets say each 5 days, my asp.net application starts to lose
sessions.
I guess that the problem is related with some memory leak problem or
application design problem (probably).

While I'm studying the issue, an IISRESET is effective to release all the
IIS resources? Or a machine restart is needed to completely free all the
resources?

Is there any way to automatically trigger an IISRESET at certain hour, let
say 4 AM?

How can I check what's wrong, what's wrong with my application? Is there a
way, any tool available to help me to debug the problem?

Thank You

=?Utf-8?B?QWxiZXJ0IFBhc2N1YWw=?=

One suggestion, don't store the Sessions in memory, use SQL.

"JohnZing" wrote:

> Hi, I'm having a problem with our asp.net server.
>
> Regularly, lets say each 5 days, my asp.net application starts to lose
> sessions.
> I guess that the problem is related with some memory leak problem or
> application design problem (probably).
>
> While I'm studying the issue, an IISRESET is effective to release all the
> IIS resources? Or a machine restart is needed to completely free all the
> resources?
>
> Is there any way to automatically trigger an IISRESET at certain hour, let
> say 4 AM?
>
> How can I check what's wrong, what's wrong with my application? Is there a
> way, any tool available to help me to debug the problem?
>
> Thank You

Vaibhav

settting up the task to reset should be easy. All you have to do is to
create a 'Add scheduled task' using 'Control Panel'. I think the difficult
would be to figure out the reason for abnormal behavior but there should be
some IIS utlities to help you out.

HTH

"JohnZing" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns9608A5B84B1EEjohnzing2003SPAMyaho@207.46.2 48.16...
> Hi, I'm having a problem with our asp.net server.
>
> Regularly, lets say each 5 days, my asp.net application starts to lose
> sessions.
> I guess that the problem is related with some memory leak problem or
> application design problem (probably).
>
> While I'm studying the issue, an IISRESET is effective to release all the
> IIS resources? Or a machine restart is needed to completely free all the
> resources?
>
> Is there any way to automatically trigger an IISRESET at certain hour, let
> say 4 AM?
>
> How can I check what's wrong, what's wrong with my application? Is there a
> way, any tool available to help me to debug the problem?
>
> Thank You

Alvin Bruney [Microsoft MVP]

Session loss is typically a symptom of application restarts, not memory
leaks. Before you go messing with the code, it would help to simply take a
look at the application logs in the event viewer application on the server.
Examine the messages for signs of trouble - correlating these messages with
the time that you suspect session is being lost.

--
Regards
Alvin Bruney