Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > how to send mail via AUTHENTICATED smtp account?

Reply
Thread Tools

how to send mail via AUTHENTICATED smtp account?

 
 
RN
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-22-2005
I am tired of sending mail from the built-in SMTP service for so many
reasons (errors are nondescriptive in the event log, it doesn't let me
control which IP address it sends from, and it identifies itself as the
computer name which is not in domain.com format, triggering spam filter
problems).

Instead, I want to have my code send through an SMTP server of a company
that we pay for mail service. But they require a username and password.
How do I use something other than "localhost" for the Smtp Server and how do
I pass the username and password?


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Smithers
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-22-2005
I recently hunted high and low for the same purpose. Here is what I found.
It is apparently undocumented, but has been working for me very well. The
whole trick is in the mail.Fields.Add lines:

System.Web.Mail.MailMessage mail = new System.Web.Mail.MailMessage();
mail.To = eMailRecipients; //"(E-Mail Removed);(E-Mail Removed)";
mail.From = "(E-Mail Removed)";
mail.Subject = "Hello World!";
mail.Body = messageToGo;
mail.Fields.Add("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpauthenticate",
"1"); //basic authentication
mail.Fields.Add("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/sendusername",
"MyFullUserNameHere"); //set your username here
mail.Fields.Add("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/sendpassword",
"MyPasswordHere"); //set your password here

System.Web.Mail.SmtpMail.SmtpServer = "Mail.YourDomain.com"; //your smtp
server goes here
System.Web.Mail.SmtpMail.Send( mail );

If someone else has a better way I'd like to know.

-Smithers



"RN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:JuOSd.23051$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am tired of sending mail from the built-in SMTP service for so many
> reasons (errors are nondescriptive in the event log, it doesn't let me
> control which IP address it sends from, and it identifies itself as the
> computer name which is not in domain.com format, triggering spam filter
> problems).
>
> Instead, I want to have my code send through an SMTP server of a company
> that we pay for mail service. But they require a username and password.
> How do I use something other than "localhost" for the Smtp Server and how
> do
> I pass the username and password?
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
RN
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-23-2005
Thanks, I'm excited to try it.

Maybe you also know the answer to this very related question... Sometimes I
send from aliases that are mapped on the POP3 server if someone did reply.
For example, suppose I have a real account called http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed), and
that's a real account that has a username and password that I can use in
your example. But often I will send mail from something else like
(E-Mail Removed) . There's no account for this, but I have an
alias on the pop server that will map any incoming mail to order-receipts
over to the real sales account. Obviously I still need to send from
order-receipts, though. Using the SMTP server with IIS, this works fine.
Now that I'm going to send through a 3rd party mail server, I'm wondering
what will happen. Can I put anything I want in the mail.From field as long
as it is at the same domain?

Have you found out anything else, good or bad, about using this technique
compared to the regular IIS SMTP service?

Again, thanks very much. Yours was a perfect newsgroup reply!


"Smithers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I recently hunted high and low for the same purpose. Here is what I found.
> It is apparently undocumented, but has been working for me very well. The
> whole trick is in the mail.Fields.Add lines:
>
> System.Web.Mail.MailMessage mail = new System.Web.Mail.MailMessage();
> mail.To = eMailRecipients; //"(E-Mail Removed);(E-Mail Removed)";
> mail.From = "(E-Mail Removed)";
> mail.Subject = "Hello World!";
> mail.Body = messageToGo;
>

mail.Fields.Add("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpauthenti
cate",
> "1"); //basic authentication
>

mail.Fields.Add("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/sendusername
",
> "MyFullUserNameHere"); //set your username here
>

mail.Fields.Add("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/sendpassword
",
> "MyPasswordHere"); //set your password here
>
> System.Web.Mail.SmtpMail.SmtpServer = "Mail.YourDomain.com"; //your smtp
> server goes here
> System.Web.Mail.SmtpMail.Send( mail );
>
> If someone else has a better way I'd like to know.
>
> -Smithers
>
>
>
> "RN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:JuOSd.23051$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I am tired of sending mail from the built-in SMTP service for so many
> > reasons (errors are nondescriptive in the event log, it doesn't let me
> > control which IP address it sends from, and it identifies itself as the
> > computer name which is not in domain.com format, triggering spam filter
> > problems).
> >
> > Instead, I want to have my code send through an SMTP server of a company
> > that we pay for mail service. But they require a username and password.
> > How do I use something other than "localhost" for the Smtp Server and

how
> > do
> > I pass the username and password?
> >
> >

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Smithers
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-23-2005
<<Yours was a perfect newsgroup reply>>
Is that like a "great golf shot?" (what other type of shot is there on a
golf course?)

<<Can I put anything I want in the mail.From field as long as it is at the
same domain?>>
AFAIK you can put anything you want in the mail.From field... doesn't even
have to be in the same domain. You could put "snoop@dog" in there if you
wanted to.

<<Now that I'm going to send through a 3rd party mail server, I'm wondering
what will happen>>
Your mail will go through as expected... as long as you use credentials that
are valid on the 3rd party mail server.

<<Have you found out anything else, good or bad>>
Nope - it works and that's as far as I got. I have work to do so I didn't
sit down and simultaneously try multiple approaches for the fun of it.

I'd like to hear from any others if they have any better way to do the same
thing *without* using CDO or some other mail component. It does

Those were great newsgroup questions!

HTH!


"RN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:j3SSd.23239$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks, I'm excited to try it.
>
> Maybe you also know the answer to this very related question... Sometimes
> I
> send from aliases that are mapped on the POP3 server if someone did reply.
> For example, suppose I have a real account called (E-Mail Removed), and
> that's a real account that has a username and password that I can use in
> your example. But often I will send mail from something else like
> (E-Mail Removed) . There's no account for this, but I have an
> alias on the pop server that will map any incoming mail to order-receipts
> over to the real sales account. Obviously I still need to send from
> order-receipts, though. Using the SMTP server with IIS, this works fine.
> Now that I'm going to send through a 3rd party mail server, I'm wondering
> what will happen. Can I put anything I want in the mail.From field as
> long
> as it is at the same domain?
>
> Have you found out anything else, good or bad, about using this technique
> compared to the regular IIS SMTP service?
>
> Again, thanks very much. Yours was a perfect newsgroup reply!
>
>
> "Smithers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I recently hunted high and low for the same purpose. Here is what I
>> found.
>> It is apparently undocumented, but has been working for me very well. The
>> whole trick is in the mail.Fields.Add lines:
>>
>> System.Web.Mail.MailMessage mail = new System.Web.Mail.MailMessage();
>> mail.To = eMailRecipients; //"(E-Mail Removed);(E-Mail Removed)";
>> mail.From = "(E-Mail Removed)";
>> mail.Subject = "Hello World!";
>> mail.Body = messageToGo;
>>

> mail.Fields.Add("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpauthenti
> cate",
>> "1"); //basic authentication
>>

> mail.Fields.Add("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/sendusername
> ",
>> "MyFullUserNameHere"); //set your username here
>>

> mail.Fields.Add("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/sendpassword
> ",
>> "MyPasswordHere"); //set your password here
>>
>> System.Web.Mail.SmtpMail.SmtpServer = "Mail.YourDomain.com"; //your smtp
>> server goes here
>> System.Web.Mail.SmtpMail.Send( mail );
>>
>> If someone else has a better way I'd like to know.
>>
>> -Smithers
>>
>>
>>
>> "RN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:JuOSd.23051$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >I am tired of sending mail from the built-in SMTP service for so many
>> > reasons (errors are nondescriptive in the event log, it doesn't let me
>> > control which IP address it sends from, and it identifies itself as the
>> > computer name which is not in domain.com format, triggering spam filter
>> > problems).
>> >
>> > Instead, I want to have my code send through an SMTP server of a
>> > company
>> > that we pay for mail service. But they require a username and
>> > password.
>> > How do I use something other than "localhost" for the Smtp Server and

> how
>> > do
>> > I pass the username and password?
>> >
>> >

>>
>>

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to send HTML mail via 'use Net::SMTP' Maneesh Perl Misc 1 05-16-2006 02:31 PM
how to send authenticated mail using ASP.NET 2 =?Utf-8?B?VHVzaGFy?= ASP .Net 0 06-12-2005 02:32 AM
Composing mail messages to send via Net::SMTP Asfand Yar Qazi Ruby 2 02-13-2005 06:08 AM
Authenticated SMTP Jack Fox ASP .Net 1 01-22-2005 09:45 PM
Prevent a page in an authenticated application from being authenticated Abhijit ASP General 0 04-12-2004 02:10 PM



Advertisments