Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASPState

ASPState

Janos Horanszky

Hi Gurus!

Error: Unable to connect to SQL Server.

I am having difficulties identifying a problem regarding the ASPState
database that is bieng used by 2 applications (cms based). (two node
SQL2KESP3a cluster on Win2003E)
There is a 30 minute timeout specified for the session_ids and we are having
~18000 rows in the tables.
We have captured with profiler that an update (within an sp) gets called
~1400 times in a minute for the SAME session_id! Locks, after locks,
deadlocks, and it causes timeouts on the app server and error page to the
user.
Checking the IIS logs we didn't see anything unusual.
The table has a clustered index, that is fine, it is heavier for updates but
still shouldn't present this type of problem. Though the table (and the
index) is very fragmented. 9000 pages for 18000 rows! Tons of extent
switches. How could I prevent this?

Microsoft articles don't seem to help.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/netframewo...g/default.aspx

Anybody has encountered this problem? I assume this is a fairly common
problem. It affects our business big time and I am not sure what can I do
from SQL Server side. When the cluster fails over we loose all sessions. Why
SQL Server can not hand out more connections? Both applications are
configured to use a pool of connections but we have more than the sum of the
two from the same apps.

I'd appreciate any suggestion that would alleviate this issue.
Janos

=?Utf-8?B?c2FyYQ==?=

Hi Janos
Did u give the permisssion to asp to execute sqlserver??

"Janos Horanszky" wrote:

> Hi Gurus!
>
> Error: Unable to connect to SQL Server.
>
> I am having difficulties identifying a problem regarding the ASPState
> database that is bieng used by 2 applications (cms based). (two node
> SQL2KESP3a cluster on Win2003E)
> There is a 30 minute timeout specified for the session_ids and we are having
> ~18000 rows in the tables.
> We have captured with profiler that an update (within an sp) gets called
> ~1400 times in a minute for the SAME session_id! Locks, after locks,
> deadlocks, and it causes timeouts on the app server and error page to the
> user.
> Checking the IIS logs we didn't see anything unusual.
> The table has a clustered index, that is fine, it is heavier for updates but
> still shouldn't present this type of problem. Though the table (and the
> index) is very fragmented. 9000 pages for 18000 rows! Tons of extent
> switches. How could I prevent this?
>
> Microsoft articles don't seem to help.
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/netframewo...g/default.aspx
>
> Anybody has encountered this problem? I assume this is a fairly common
> problem. It affects our business big time and I am not sure what can I do
> from SQL Server side. When the cluster fails over we loose all sessions. Why
> SQL Server can not hand out more connections? Both applications are
> configured to use a pool of connections but we have more than the sum of the
> two from the same apps.
>
> I'd appreciate any suggestion that would alleviate this issue.
> Janos

Janos Horanszky

Hi Sara, it is not a permission problem.
On the other hand sqlserver has it words too.

"sara" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Janos
> Did u give the permisssion to asp to execute sqlserver??
>

> "Janos Horanszky" wrote:
>
>> Hi Gurus!
>>
>> Error: Unable to connect to SQL Server.
>>
>> I am having difficulties identifying a problem regarding the ASPState
>> database that is bieng used by 2 applications (cms based). (two node
>> SQL2KESP3a cluster on Win2003E)
>> There is a 30 minute timeout specified for the session_ids and we are
>> having
>> ~18000 rows in the tables.
>> We have captured with profiler that an update (within an sp) gets called
>> ~1400 times in a minute for the SAME session_id! Locks, after locks,
>> deadlocks, and it causes timeouts on the app server and error page to the
>> user.
>> Checking the IIS logs we didn't see anything unusual.
>> The table has a clustered index, that is fine, it is heavier for updates
>> but
>> still shouldn't present this type of problem. Though the table (and the
>> index) is very fragmented. 9000 pages for 18000 rows! Tons of extent
>> switches. How could I prevent this?
>>
>> Microsoft articles don't seem to help.
>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/netframewo...g/default.aspx
>>
>> Anybody has encountered this problem? I assume this is a fairly common
>> problem. It affects our business big time and I am not sure what can I do
>> from SQL Server side. When the cluster fails over we loose all sessions.
>> Why
>> SQL Server can not hand out more connections? Both applications are
>> configured to use a pool of connections but we have more than the sum of
>> the
>> two from the same apps.
>>
>> I'd appreciate any suggestion that would alleviate this issue.
>> Janos

trouble retrieving data from ASPState Database =?Utf-8?B?R2xlbm4gVmVuemtl?= ASP .Net 2 07-30-2004 02:27 PM
ASPState SQL Database Blocking Ross ASP .Net 0 05-03-2004 05:35 PM
ASPSTATE issues Kevin Jackson ASP .Net 2 02-12-2004 12:29 PM
Rights on ASPState Lost pg ASP .Net 0 11-10-2003 04:15 PM
best practice question regarding AspState database for sessions Bryan Ax ASP .Net 0 06-26-2003 07:12 PM

Advertisments