Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Large number of files...

Large number of files...

Lionel

Hi,

I have to create a website with keywords to find pictures.
I will have more than 500.000 jpeg files.

I work with II6 on a windows server 2000.
Is it better to put the whole 500.000 files in the same directory, or is it
better to create for example 1000 directories with 500 files ?
Talking about performance, is there a better solution ?

Thanks !

Tampa.NET Koder

You could also expore the possibility of storing these images in a sql
server database.
This way you don't have to create all these directorie on the filesystem and
you can utilize sql servier indexing etc, and this could speed up your
searching ability.

"Lionel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I have to create a website with keywords to find pictures.
> I will have more than 500.000 jpeg files.
>
> I work with II6 on a windows server 2000.
> Is it better to put the whole 500.000 files in the same directory, or is
> it
> better to create for example 1000 directories with 500 files ?
> Talking about performance, is there a better solution ?
>
> Thanks !

IPGrunt

On 19 Feb 2005, "Lionel" <(E-Mail Removed)> postulated in news:
#(E-Mail Removed):

> Hi,
>
> I have to create a website with keywords to find pictures.
> I will have more than 500.000 jpeg files.
>
> I work with II6 on a windows server 2000.
> Is it better to put the whole 500.000 files in the same directory, or

is it
> better to create for example 1000 directories with 500 files ?
> Talking about performance, is there a better solution ?
>
> Thanks !

I would imagine breaking up the index files might be a good idea, so
yes, I think you might consider using multiple folders.

-- ipgrunt

Kevin Spencer

It doesn't make any difference to your app. If it helps you, by all means.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP