Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Word Document

Word Document

Alex

Hi,

Not sure if this is the right newsgroup, but does anybody have any
advice/strategies for using Word Documents with ASP.Net projects. I need to
be able to create/edit and print word documents from an intranet. Thanks.

Alex

jmferguson

Currently in our environment we work with .rtf files. This allows for
quick string manipulation. We do create, edit, and print these
document/reports dynamically with asp.net. As far as the printing goes
we normally allow the user hitting the application to download the docs
into MS Word and print them. We started off using .doc files in vb 6.0
but the word object was very slow.

Kevin Spencer

Good luck.

Well, not to discourage you, but this topic is rather tricky, due to the web
environment. When a document is requested from the server, a COPY of the
document is downloaded by the browser. Editing it won't change the server
copy. Of course, it can be edited, and even printed, but again, if you need
to change the original document, you need a different solution.

Word documents can be linked to with simple hyperlinks, if you only need a
copy.

If, on the other hand, you want them to be able to edit and save the
document back to the server, you need a mechanism to upload the document
back TO the server. This could be done with a FileUpload control, or any of
several different solutions that are out there.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
Neither a follower nor a lender be.

"Alex" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> Not sure if this is the right newsgroup, but does anybody have any
> advice/strategies for using Word Documents with ASP.Net projects. I need
> be able to create/edit and print word documents from an intranet. Thanks.
>

> Alex

Craig G

we use Aspose.Word http://www.aspose.com/

its a great tool. allows you to create word docs on the server then present
them to the client as long as they have word installed on their machine

"Alex" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> Not sure if this is the right newsgroup, but does anybody have any
> advice/strategies for using Word Documents with ASP.Net projects. I need

> be able to create/edit and print word documents from an intranet. Thanks.
>

> Alex

Alex

Thanks for the responses.

This system is currently running as a Domino app, is there a suggested
Microsoft way to do this kind of thing ?

"Alex" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> Not sure if this is the right newsgroup, but does anybody have any
> advice/strategies for using Word Documents with ASP.Net projects. I need

> be able to create/edit and print word documents from an intranet. Thanks.
>

> Alex

=?Utf-8?B?VGFtcGEgLk5FVCBLb2Rlcg==?=

All I can think of is using SharePoint Web Portal. I think it does allow you
to share Word documents in a collaborative manner. But, you would have to
wait for a MSFT employee to directly answer your question.

"Alex" wrote:

> Thanks for the responses.
>
> This system is currently running as a Domino app, is there a suggested
> Microsoft way to do this kind of thing ?
>
> "Alex" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi,
> >
> > Not sure if this is the right newsgroup, but does anybody have any
> > advice/strategies for using Word Documents with ASP.Net projects. I need

> > be able to create/edit and print word documents from an intranet. Thanks.
> >

> > Alex

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

You might be able to use one of these techniques:
http://SteveOrr.net/articles/ExportPanel.aspx
http://SteveOrr.net/Articles/ExcelExport.aspx

If you have more advanced needs, I'd recommend going with a 3rd party
component, such as one of these:
http://www.SteveOrr.net/Reviews/AsposeWord.aspx
http://officewriter.softartisans.com...riter-189.aspx

--