Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Embedding Windows/smart client controls in a Web Controls page

Embedding Windows/smart client controls in a Web Controls page

Martin Eyles

I would like to embed a windows controls or smart client controls in a web
page, in a similar way to which a java applet or a flash applet or an active
x control is embedded. I read something somewhere about compiling the
control to a dll, and then putting this dll in the web server directory, and
setting the classid to the url to this.

Is there a way of doing this all automatically as part of one project, or
one solution?

Also, is there a way of selecting a different version (smart client or
windows control) depending on the PC viewing the page. I was thinking of
something that detects the version of the browser (ie. looking for pocket
internet explorer or normal internet explorer).

Thanks,
Martin

--
Martin Eyles

bruce barker

for a window control, you can add the dll project to your web app sln, set a
reference to in the web project, so the dll is copied to your bin by VS.
there are a couple of issues with this:

1) the user must install the .net framework (22mb download)
2) the page will take a while to render because the page must load the .net
vm, create an app domain, and load the dll.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

"Martin Eyles" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| I would like to embed a windows controls or smart client controls in a web
| page, in a similar way to which a java applet or a flash applet or an
active
| x control is embedded. I read something somewhere about compiling the
| control to a dll, and then putting this dll in the web server directory,
and
| setting the classid to the url to this.
|
| Is there a way of doing this all automatically as part of one project, or
| one solution?
|
| Also, is there a way of selecting a different version (smart client or
| windows control) depending on the PC viewing the page. I was thinking of
| something that detects the version of the browser (ie. looking for pocket
| internet explorer or normal internet explorer).
|
| Thanks,
| Martin
|
| --
| Martin Eyles
| (E-Mail Removed)

Martin Eyles

I tried this, but the dll doesn't load up. I then tried putting the dll in
the url bar in internet explorer. It gives the following error:

An exception 'System.Security.SecurityException' has occured in IEExec.exe.

Has anyone got any ideas how to solve this problem

Thanks,
Martin

--
Martin Eyles