Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > I'd just like to laud one company

I'd just like to laud one company

RichA

Kiwi fotos accessories and lens adapters. Much better than run-of-the-millChinese lens adapters but FAR cheaper than Novoflex and the like. They doa good job. I have some of their adapters and I just got a micro-focusingx-y rail from them and it's excellent for the price.

http://kiwifotos.com

Me

On 27/01/2014 12:59 p.m., RichA wrote:
> Kiwi fotos accessories and lens adapters. Much better than run-of-the-mill Chinese lens adapters but FAR cheaper than Novoflex and the like. They do a good job. I have some of their adapters and I just got a micro-focusing x-y rail from them and it's excellent for the price.
>
> http://kiwifotos.com

Thieving bastards stole our national bird.

J. Clarke

In article <lc52vm$t00$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
says...

> On 27/01/2014 12:59 p.m., RichA wrote:
> > Kiwi fotos accessories and lens adapters. Much better than run-of-the-mill Chinese lens adapters but FAR cheaper than Novoflex and the like. They do a good job. I have some of their adapters and I just got a micro-focusing x-y rail from them and it's excellent for the price.
> >
> > http://kiwifotos.com
> >

> Thieving bastards stole our national bird.

Further, they _are_ "run of the mill Chinese". The "about us" page says
"Copyright 2012 JJC CHINA".

RichA

On Monday, January 27, 2014 8:09:08 AM UTC-5, J. Clarke wrote:
> In article <lc52vm$t00$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
>
> says...
>

> > On 27/01/2014 12:59 p.m., RichA wrote:

> > > Kiwi fotos accessories and lens adapters. Much better than run-of-the-mill Chinese lens adapters but FAR cheaper than Novoflex and the like. They do a good job. I have some of their adapters and I just got a micro-focusing x-y rail from them and it's excellent for the price.

> > > http://kiwifotos.com

> > Thieving bastards stole our national bird.

> Further, they _are_ "run of the mill Chinese". The "about us" page says
>
> "Copyright 2012 JJC CHINA".

Actually, they aren't. Their stuff is built in China, but not apparently designed there. So it isn't totally driven by the need for the absolute lowest price.

Tony Cooper

On Mon, 27 Jan 2014 21:16:38 +1300, Eric Stevens
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Mon, 27 Jan 2014 20:48:04 +1300, Me <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On 27/01/2014 12:59 p.m., RichA wrote:
>>> Kiwi fotos accessories and lens adapters. Much better than run-of-the-mill Chinese lens adapters but FAR cheaper than Novoflex and the like. They do a good job. I have some of their adapters and I just got a micro-focusing x-y rail from them and it's excellent for the price.
>>>
>>> http://kiwifotos.com
>>>

>>Thieving bastards stole our national bird.

>The Australians got it years ago in the name of shoe polish. I think
>the French have got it now.

The shop to which I take my camera for repair or cleaning is Kiwi
Camera Service. I've known the owner, Mike, for many years because he
was a friend of my son in high school, and he was at our house many
times.

Mike has no connection whatsoever with New Zealand, and probably
couldn't point it out on a map of the world. He says he's never seen
a kiwi even at a zoo.

He picked the name, according to him, because it sounds funny, is
short and easy to remember, and was as good as any other name. The
added benefit is that people coming to him for the first time always
ask why he calls the business Kiwi, and this leads to an informal
conversation that makes the visit personal.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

RichA

On Monday, January 27, 2014 5:13:23 PM UTC-5, Eric Stevens wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Jan 2014 07:41:33 -0800 (PST), RichA <(E-Mail Removed)>
>

> There is some good quality stuff coming out of China. Apple for
>
> instance.

As long as the design of the thing is good and the production process is watched like a hawk, they can do fairly well. There are still suggestions when it comes to ultimate quality, they still can't match Japan, the U.S., depending on the product.

PeterN

On 1/27/2014 12:11 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Jan 2014 21:16:38 +1300, Eric Stevens
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> Thieving bastards stole our national bird.

>> The Australians got it years ago in the name of shoe polish. I think
>> the French have got it now.

> The shop to which I take my camera for repair or cleaning is Kiwi
> Camera Service. I've known the owner, Mike, for many years because he
> was a friend of my son in high school, and he was at our house many
> times.
>
> Mike has no connection whatsoever with New Zealand, and probably
> couldn't point it out on a map of the world. He says he's never seen
> a kiwi even at a zoo.

Not at a supermarket, either?

On 1/26/2014 6:59 PM, RichA wrote:
> Kiwi fotos accessories and lens adapters. Much better than run-of-the-mill Chinese lens adapters but FAR cheaper than Novoflex and the like. They do a good job. I have some of their adapters and I just got a micro-focusing x-y rail from them and it's excellent for the price.
>
> http://kiwifotos.com

Had a chance t look at the site. Horrible, in terms of ease of use. It
obviously is not designed for consumers. (organized by part number; had
to drill down to what the parts are for; no pricing; no shipping info;
no strength specifications; etc.) Why would you even sho a link to this
site. unless we were resellers, with an assigned salesperson, the site
is useless. As for the product, from what I saw they are using anodized
aluminum with steel screws. I have a concern about a galvanic reaction.
It seems to me that the loosening and tightening of the screws would
wear through the oxide coating.

--
PeterN

RichA

On Tuesday, January 28, 2014 12:50:40 PM UTC-5, PeterN wrote:
> On 1/26/2014 6:59 PM, RichA wrote:
>
> > Kiwi fotos accessories and lens adapters. Much better than run-of-the-mill Chinese lens adapters but FAR cheaper than Novoflex and the like. They do a good job. I have some of their adapters and I just got a micro-focusing x-y rail from them and it's excellent for the price.

> > http://kiwifotos.com

> Had a chance t look at the site. Horrible, in terms of ease of use. It
>
> obviously is not designed for consumers. (organized by part number; had
>
> to drill down to what the parts are for; no pricing; no shipping info;
>
> no strength specifications; etc.) Why would you even sho a link to this
>
> site. unless we were resellers, with an assigned salesperson, the site
>
> is useless. As for the product, from what I saw they are using anodized
>
> aluminum with steel screws. I have a concern about a galvanic reaction.
>
> It seems to me that the loosening and tightening of the screws would
>
> wear through the oxide coating.

> PeterN

Most cameras of any quality today are aluminum/magnesium and are put together with steel screws.

PeterN

On 1/28/2014 1:05 PM, RichA wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 28, 2014 12:50:40 PM UTC-5, PeterN wrote:
>> On 1/26/2014 6:59 PM, RichA wrote:
>>
>>> Kiwi fotos accessories and lens adapters. Much better than run-of-the-mill Chinese lens adapters but FAR cheaper than Novoflex and the like. They do a good job. I have some of their adapters and I just got a micro-focusing x-y rail from them and it's excellent for the price.

>>> http://kiwifotos.com

>> Had a chance t look at the site. Horrible, in terms of ease of use. It
>>
>> obviously is not designed for consumers. (organized by part number; had
>>
>> to drill down to what the parts are for; no pricing; no shipping info;
>>
>> no strength specifications; etc.) Why would you even sho a link to this
>>
>> site. unless we were resellers, with an assigned salesperson, the site
>>
>> is useless. As for the product, from what I saw they are using anodized
>>
>> aluminum with steel screws. I have a concern about a galvanic reaction.
>>
>> It seems to me that the loosening and tightening of the screws would
>>
>> wear through the oxide coating.

>> PeterN

> Most cameras of any quality today are aluminum/magnesium and are put together with steel screws.

Irrelevant. The screws in camera bodies are not constantly adjusted. It
is the wear from the adjusting that degrades the oxide layer.

--
PeterN