Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > CC & LR headers hard to read

CC & LR headers hard to read

Robert Coe

We've bought a few of Microsoft's new "Surface Pro 2" tablet computers, and
our users have been fairly impressed so far. The SP2 has unusually high
resolution for its size (good), but this means that that any displayed text
can be challenging to read (not so good).

One of our users has installed Adobe's LR5 and CC on his Surface and has found
the small type in those programs' legends and headers to be a problem. He
tells me that he's Googled around and found that other CC and LR users have
had the same problem on small-screen computers, but that none seem to have
found a satisfactory remedy. Is there a way to increase the font size in these
programs? It hasn't been a show stopper so far, but clearly it's a threat to
productivity. Any insight from the group would be appreciated.
--
Bob

PeterN

On 1/23/2014 10:39 PM, Robert Coe wrote:
> We've bought a few of Microsoft's new "Surface Pro 2" tablet computers, and
> our users have been fairly impressed so far. The SP2 has unusually high
> resolution for its size (good), but this means that that any displayed text
> can be challenging to read (not so good).
>
> One of our users has installed Adobe's LR5 and CC on his Surface and has found
> the small type in those programs' legends and headers to be a problem. He
> tells me that he's Googled around and found that other CC and LR users have
> had the same problem on small-screen computers, but that none seem to have
> found a satisfactory remedy. Is there a way to increase the font size in these
> programs? It hasn't been a show stopper so far, but clearly it's a threat to
> productivity. Any insight from the group would be appreciated.

Sadly, there doesn;t seem to be a solution to the issue.
Adobe says they are aware of the problem, but will not give a timetable
for the fix.
<http://forums.adobe.com/message/5841108>
Wish I had better news.

--
PeterN

J. Clarke

says...

> We've bought a few of Microsoft's new "Surface Pro 2" tablet computers, and
> our users have been fairly impressed so far. The SP2 has unusually high
> resolution for its size (good), but this means that that any displayed text
> can be challenging to read (not so good).
>
> One of our users has installed Adobe's LR5 and CC on his Surface and has found
> the small type in those programs' legends and headers to be a problem. He
> tells me that he's Googled around and found that other CC and LR users have
> had the same problem on small-screen computers, but that none seem to have
> found a satisfactory remedy. Is there a way to increase the font size in these
> programs? It hasn't been a show stopper so far, but clearly it's a threat to
> productivity. Any insight from the group would be appreciated.

I don't have my Windows 8 machine in front of me at the moment but IIRC
it's a setting reached from "personalize" after right-clicking the
desktop. You want to "adjust font size" or "adjust DPI". The downside
is that it makes menus in some programs unreadable.

If you can't find it let me know and over the weekend I'll chase it down
for you in Windows 8.

PeterN

On 1/23/2014 11:24 PM, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2014-01-24 04:18:15 +0000, Savageduck
> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> said:
>
>> On 2014-01-24 03:39:16 +0000, Robert Coe <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>>
>>> We've bought a few of Microsoft's new "Surface Pro 2" tablet
>>> computers, and
>>> our users have been fairly impressed so far. The SP2 has unusually high
>>> resolution for its size (good), but this means that that any
>>> displayed text
>>> can be challenging to read (not so good).
>>>
>>> One of our users has installed Adobe's LR5 and CC on his Surface and
>>> has found
>>> the small type in those programs' legends and headers to be a
>>> problem. He
>>> tells me that he's Googled around and found that other CC and LR
>>> users have
>>> had the same problem on small-screen computers, but that none seem to
>>> have
>>> found a satisfactory remedy. Is there a way to increase the font size
>>> in these
>>> programs? It hasn't been a show stopper so far, but clearly it's a
>>> threat to
>>> productivity. Any insight from the group would be appreciated.

>> I am not quite sure what you mean by "Legends and headers". however it
>> is possible to adjust text size in the UI.
>>
>> Photoshop CC Menu bar:
>> Photoshop->Preferences-> Interface->Text-> Font Size (small, medium,
>> large)
>> < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...enshot_539.jpg ? >

> I just tried that, going from my default of "small" to "large", and the
> various text for the UI is much more readable.
> < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...enshot_540.jpg >

It's a Windows issue. I tried it on my Win 7, and it made no difference.
I then Googled the issue, and discovered that it is a known issue for
which there is no fix. This is one of those cases where I want to be wrong.

--
PeterN

Mayayana

Here's one option.

http://www.neowin.net/news/someone-h...ur-pc-monitors

It's hard to see it as anything other than idiotic,
though. Someone managed to probably spend about
$3,000 to $4,000 to get a setup that, aside from
having multiple monitors, has about half the
capability of the average $300 PC.

The Surface Pro is very expensive for what
you get. One pays a premium for small size. Maybe
that makes sense for someone with money to waste
who rarely sits at a desk, but using a Surface to
run graphic software and then complaining that the
screen is small? Of course it's small! It's not made
for running graphic editing software.

-
"Robert Coe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| We've bought a few of Microsoft's new "Surface Pro 2" tablet computers,
and
| our users have been fairly impressed so far. The SP2 has unusually high
| resolution for its size (good), but this means that that any displayed
text
| can be challenging to read (not so good).
|
| One of our users has installed Adobe's LR5 and CC on his Surface and has
found
| the small type in those programs' legends and headers to be a problem. He
| tells me that he's Googled around and found that other CC and LR users
have
| had the same problem on small-screen computers, but that none seem to have
| found a satisfactory remedy. Is there a way to increase the font size in
these
| programs? It hasn't been a show stopper so far, but clearly it's a threat
| productivity. Any insight from the group would be appreciated.
| --
| Bob

J. Clarke

In article <2014012321000147100-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,
savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com says...

> On 2014-01-24 04:47:15 +0000, "Mayayana" <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
> > Here's one option.
> >
> > http://www.neowin.net/news/someone-h...ur-pc-monitors

> > It's hard to see it as anything other than idiotic,
> > though. Someone managed to probably spend about
> > $3,000 to $4,000 to get a setup that, aside from
> > having multiple monitors, has about half the
> > capability of the average $300 PC.

> Yup! That does seem like a silly solution if they guys with the text
> size problem are only using their PS CC/LR5 installation on the Surface
> Pro for on-the-road editing, especially if they have a desktop
> installation at their home base.
>
> > The Surface Pro is very expensive for what
> > you get. One pays a premium for small size. Maybe
> > that makes sense for someone with money to waste
> > who rarely sits at a desk, but using a Surface to
> > run graphic software and then complaining that the
> > screen is small? Of course it's small! It's not made
> > for running graphic editing software.

> It sure doesn't seem like the ideal platform for making any mission
> critical graphic edits, other than quick fixes while away from
> something better to work on.

> > -
> > "Robert Coe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > | We've bought a few of Microsoft's new "Surface Pro 2" tablet computers,
> > and
> > | our users have been fairly impressed so far. The SP2 has unusually high
> > | resolution for its size (good), but this means that that any displayed
> > text
> > | can be challenging to read (not so good).
> > |
> > | One of our users has installed Adobe's LR5 and CC on his Surface and has
> > found
> > | the small type in those programs' legends and headers to be a problem. He
> > | tells me that he's Googled around and found that other CC and LR users
> > have
> > | had the same problem on small-screen computers, but that none seem to have
> > | found a satisfactory remedy. Is there a way to increase the font size in
> > these
> > | programs? It hasn't been a show stopper so far, but clearly it's a threat
> > | productivity. Any insight from the group would be appreciated.
> > | --
> > | Bob

Y'all are missing a point. The Surface Pro has Wacom digitizer that's
good enough that some folks are treating it as a poor man's Cintiq.

Sandman

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, J. Clarke wrote:

> Y'all are missing a point. The Surface Pro has Wacom digitizer
> that's good enough that some folks are treating it as a poor man's
> Cintiq.

Yes, that's why I bought a Surface Pro. Its pen is rally ok, but not very
comfortable. And the tablet lacks some hardware buttons to make it a good
cintiq replacement.

Which is why I bought a Wacom Cintiq Companion, which is a 13" real Wacom
Cintiq qith a real Wacom pen with 2048 levels of pressure and tilt support
(lacking from the Surface) and an array of hardware buttons. And a speedy
i7 processor (and **** poor battery life).

But as a "poor man's Cintiq", the Surface is surprisingly good.

--
Sandman[.net]

Sandman

In article <2014012321543286059-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>, Savageduck wrote:

> > J. Clarke:
> > Y'all are missing a point. The Surface Pro has Wacom digitizer
> > that's good enough that some folks are treating it as a poor man's
> > Cintiq.

> Nope! Nobody missed the point. You failed to mention anything about
> the Wacom connection. On top of that I don't know of any Wacom
> drivers to add to a "Surface Pro".

Not sure what drivers you're in reference to here - Windows has full
support for the pressure sensitivity in the Surface stylus, and
applications has full access to that.

> I know there is the Cintiq Companion which includes a Surface Pro in its
> $2500 price. < https://store.wacom.com/us/en/product/DTHW1300H > If this
> is what your pals are talking about I suggest the get ahold of Wacom
> support.

Not sure what you mean why "includes a Surface Pro" here. The Companion is
a 13" tablet with a i7 processor.

> PS on the other hand has tablet support, so it could still be
> worthwhile checking PS preferences.

PS has support for the Surface out of the box, as well as Painter.
Sketchbook Pro didn't support it but I think it does now.

> So, perhaps you could aim me in the direction of this "Wacom
> digitizer" because I am having trouble finding it among the Wacom
> offerings: < http://www.wacom.com/en/us/product-finder >

The stylus that comes with the Surface, along with the technology to detect
it and how hard you're pressing down, is licensed from Wacom.

I.e. the stylus for the Surface is not capacitive, like all styluses for
the iPad is. So when the surface detects the pen, it turns off the
capacitive input, meaning that you have perfect palm rejection.

The Samsung Note series also license Wacom tech for their styluses. I
assume Wacom has some serious patents in place

--
Sandman[.net]

PeterN

On 1/24/2014 12:05 AM, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2014-01-24 04:37:09 +0000, PeterN <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> On 1/23/2014 11:24 PM, Savageduck wrote:

>>> I just tried that, going from my default of "small" to "large", and the
>>> various text for the UI is much more readable.
>>> < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...enshot_540.jpg >
>>>

>> It's a Windows issue. I tried it on my Win 7, and it made no
>> difference. I then Googled the issue, and discovered that it is a
>> known issue for which there is no fix. This is one of those cases
>> where I want to be wrong.

> BTW: Is there some particular issue with Windows, that the PS
> preferences, "Interface" options don't work for UI text font size?
> If so, why would MS go out of its way to break PS CC?
> As a Mac user I wouldn't be privy to that sort of information.

There is a discussion of this issue on Adobe Forums.

<http://forums.adobe.com/message/5841108>

--
PeterN

Mayayana

| Y'all are missing a point. The Surface Pro has Wacom digitizer that's
| good enough that some folks are treating it as a poor man's Cintiq.

Interesting. I'd never heard of Wacom and never
would have thought that touch tools for PC would
ever be more than a novelty item. What do you do
with it? Something like computer-based sketching?
Do you actually find a touch-pen easier to use in
PS than a mouse?