Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Another net

Another net

Tony Cooper

Another statue from the Albin Polasek Museum and Sculpture Garden
placed in a setting that the statue's pose seemed to suggest. This
one was a bit more difficult since the statue's arm had to be
re-positioned to accommodate the racket. I don't have the racket
positioned right in his hand, though.

I have too much time on my hands.

http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Curren...-01-19B-X2.jpg
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

sid

Tony Cooper wrote:

> I have too much time on my hands.

Go finish tidying the cupboards in your garage!

--
sid

Ron

Tony Cooper <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Another statue from the Albin Polasek Museum and Sculpture Garden
> placed in a setting that the statue's pose seemed to suggest. This
> one was a bit more difficult since the statue's arm had to be
> re-positioned to accommodate the racket. I don't have the racket
> positioned right in his hand, though.
>
> I have too much time on my hands.
>
> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Curren...-01-19B-X2.jpg

Too much time, yes. But while you're at it, make him cast a shadow on
the court and you'll really have something. Very cute.

--
_____________________________
Ron, the humblest guy in town

PeterN

On 1/23/2014 12:59 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
> Another statue from the Albin Polasek Museum and Sculpture Garden
> placed in a setting that the statue's pose seemed to suggest. This
> one was a bit more difficult since the statue's arm had to be
> re-positioned to accommodate the racket. I don't have the racket
> positioned right in his hand, though.
>
> I have too much time on my hands.
>
> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Curren...-01-19B-X2.jpg

Yup! Try putting: the statue behind the net; the racket in his right
hand, and the ball just coming up to the net, with a motion blur on the
ball.

--
PeterN
Who also does things like that when my wife starts with the honey do's.

Tony Cooper

On Thu, 23 Jan 2014 19:40:35 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)d (Ron)
wrote:

>Tony Cooper <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Another statue from the Albin Polasek Museum and Sculpture Garden
>> placed in a setting that the statue's pose seemed to suggest. This
>> one was a bit more difficult since the statue's arm had to be
>> re-positioned to accommodate the racket. I don't have the racket
>> positioned right in his hand, though.
>>
>> I have too much time on my hands.
>>
>> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Curren...-01-19B-X2.jpg

>Too much time, yes. But while you're at it, make him cast a shadow on
>the court and you'll really have something. Very cute.

I posted this at Dgrin and the same comment was made. I've never
tried adding a shadow, but there are tutorials on it. I'm not going
to bother for something like this, but I would if I was trying to
create a realistic scene.

Here, I was just bored with the statue photos and practicing some
basic skills.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

Sandman

Here's a tutorial I wrote on the subject way back:

http://sandman.net/pages/3dskuggorMedPhotoshop?lang=en

--
Sandman[.net]

Tony Cooper

On 24 Jan 2014 08:57:53 GMT, Sandman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> > Ron:
>> > Too much time, yes. But while you're at it, make him cast a shadow
>> > on the court and you'll really have something. Very cute.

>> I posted this at Dgrin and the same comment was made. I've never
>> tried adding a shadow, but there are tutorials on it. I'm not going
>> to bother for something like this, but I would if I was trying to
>> create a realistic scene.

>Here's a tutorial I wrote on the subject way back:
>
>http://sandman.net/pages/3dskuggorMedPhotoshop?lang=en

Thanks. That's a well-presented tutorial. Good job.

Unless I get extremely bored this afternoon, I'm not going to try to
create a shadow for this composite. It was just a little exercise in
making some rather dull shots into something a little more
interesting.

I bought an inexpensive video camera yesterday so my grandchildren can
make movies, and I'm into a new project now: working with a software
program to edit the movies.

As a point of interest, but not intended as a point of contention,
that tool in your tutorial is called a crescent wrench in the US and
a monkey wrench in other countries.

A monkey wrench in the US looks like this: http://tinyurl.com/9m2w7dw
It's also called a "pipe wrench" here. The monkey wrench has notched
and gripping jaws, but our Crescent wrench has smooth jaws.

The US use of "crescent wrench" is from the popularity of the tool
when introduced here, and made by, the Crescent company. Using the
tool company's name for the tool is similar to calling an adjustable
spanner a Bahco after Johan Johansson's company.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

Mayayana

| As a point of interest, but not intended as a point of contention,
| that tool in your tutorial is called a crescent wrench in the US and
| a monkey wrench in other countries.
|
| A monkey wrench in the US looks like this: http://tinyurl.com/9m2w7dw
| It's also called a "pipe wrench" here. The monkey wrench has notched
| and gripping jaws, but our Crescent wrench has smooth jaws.
|
| The US use of "crescent wrench" is from the popularity of the tool
| when introduced here, and made by, the Crescent company. Using the
| tool company's name for the tool is similar to calling an adjustable
| spanner a Bahco after Johan Johansson's company.

I know his wrench as an "adjustable wrench" and
think of a crescent wrench as a non-adjustable
"spanner". But when I looked it up I see you're correct.
I've never used the word spanner. But like you I do
know monkey wrench as a synonym for pipe wrench.

I guess that's all OK, just so long as you don't
drink "soda" or "pop" instead of "tonic".

http://www4.uwm.edu/FLL/linguistics/dialect/maps.html

Sandman

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Tony Cooper wrote:

> As a point of interest, but not intended as a point of contention,
> that tool in your tutorial is called a crescent wrench in the US
> and a monkey wrench in other countries.

Oh, I didn't know that. Thanks

--
Sandman[.net]

PeterN

On 1/24/2014 9:16 AM, Tony Cooper wrote:

>>> I posted this at Dgrin and the same comment was made. I've never
>>> tried adding a shadow, but there are tutorials on it. I'm not going
>>> to bother for something like this, but I would if I was trying to
>>> create a realistic scene.

>> Here's a tutorial I wrote on the subject way back:
>>
>> http://sandman.net/pages/3dskuggorMedPhotoshop?lang=en

> Thanks. That's a well-presented tutorial. Good job.
>
> Unless I get extremely bored this afternoon, I'm not going to try to
> create a shadow for this composite. It was just a little exercise in
> making some rather dull shots into something a little more
> interesting.
>
> I bought an inexpensive video camera yesterday so my grandchildren can
> make movies, and I'm into a new project now: working with a software
> program to edit the movies.
>
> As a point of interest, but not intended as a point of contention,
> that tool in your tutorial is called a crescent wrench in the US and
> a monkey wrench in other countries.
>
> A monkey wrench in the US looks like this: http://tinyurl.com/9m2w7dw
> It's also called a "pipe wrench" here. The monkey wrench has notched
> and gripping jaws, but our Crescent wrench has smooth jaws.
>
> The US use of "crescent wrench" is from the popularity of the tool
> when introduced here, and made by, the Crescent company. Using the
> tool company's name for the tool is similar to calling an adjustable
> spanner a Bahco after Johan Johansson's company.

I filled multiple roles in my Army reserve unit, including motor
sergeant. I once drove the lieutenant crazy when I requested that he
requisition a left handed crescent wrench.
BTW as much as I dislike Jonas's trolling, in this case he tried to be
helpful, and your comment was unnecessary.

--
PeterN