Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Firefox advantages?

Firefox advantages?

Matt O'Toole

As a long time Mozilla user, I've been using Firefox lately. Despite the hype,
I don't see any advantages over Mozilla. It doesn't seem any faster on my
700Mhz machine, either starting up or browsing. While Mozilla runs perfectly
smoothly all the time, Firefox seems a jerky loading pages, dealing with various
plugins, etc., and has a few bugs here and there. I haven't had browser crashes
for ages with Mozilla, but with Firefox I have one or two daily.

What am I missing?

Some people really like the separate Google search bar. I don't find it any
real advantage -- if you set Mozilla to search Google automatically, all you do
is type in the address bar, hit Tab | Enter, and it does the same thing. The
only difference is hitting Tab before vs. after you type in your search terms.
I guess not having the search terms show up in your address history is less
confusing... so I'll go with this, but it's no big deal.

Also, I still can't stand the Bookmark management, which is the same old legacy
Netscape POS, only worse. This is one thing other browsers do better -- being
able to right-click | delete bookmarks on the menu like IE, or opening an
Explorer-type window and being able to drag and drop loads of bookmarks all at
once, like older versions of IE, or Konquerer.

Just some thoughts...

Matt O.

Ranjit

That's real strange.
I find FF to be waaay light weight as compared to Mozilla.
Even on my athlon XP 2500, Mozilla takes more time than FF.

Matt O'Toole wrote:
> As a long time Mozilla user, I've been using Firefox lately. Despite the hype,
> I don't see any advantages over Mozilla. It doesn't seem any faster on my
> 700Mhz machine, either starting up or browsing. While Mozilla runs perfectly
> smoothly all the time, Firefox seems a jerky loading pages, dealing with various
> plugins, etc., and has a few bugs here and there. I haven't had browser crashes
> for ages with Mozilla, but with Firefox I have one or two daily.
>
> What am I missing?
>
> Some people really like the separate Google search bar. I don't find it any
> real advantage -- if you set Mozilla to search Google automatically, all you do
> is type in the address bar, hit Tab | Enter, and it does the same thing. The
> only difference is hitting Tab before vs. after you type in your search terms.
> I guess not having the search terms show up in your address history is less
> confusing... so I'll go with this, but it's no big deal.
>
> Also, I still can't stand the Bookmark management, which is the same old legacy
> Netscape POS, only worse. This is one thing other browsers do better -- being
> able to right-click | delete bookmarks on the menu like IE, or opening an
> Explorer-type window and being able to drag and drop loads of bookmarks all at
> once, like older versions of IE, or Konquerer.
>
> Just some thoughts...
>
> Matt O.

Keith Bowes

Matt O'Toole wrote:
> As a long time Mozilla user, I've been using Firefox lately. Despite the hype,
> I don't see any advantages over Mozilla. It doesn't seem any faster on my
> 700Mhz machine, either starting up or browsing. While Mozilla runs perfectly
> smoothly all the time, Firefox seems a jerky loading pages, dealing with various
> plugins, etc., and has a few bugs here and there. I haven't had browser crashes
> for ages with Mozilla, but with Firefox I have one or two daily.
>
> What am I missing?
>
> Some people really like the separate Google search bar. I don't find it any
> real advantage -- if you set Mozilla to search Google automatically, all you do
> is type in the address bar, hit Tab | Enter, and it does the same thing. The
> only difference is hitting Tab before vs. after you type in your search terms.
> I guess not having the search terms show up in your address history is less
> confusing... so I'll go with this, but it's no big deal.
>
> Also, I still can't stand the Bookmark management, which is the same old legacy
> Netscape POS, only worse. This is one thing other browsers do better -- being
> able to right-click | delete bookmarks on the menu like IE, or opening an
> Explorer-type window and being able to drag and drop loads of bookmarks all at
> once, like older versions of IE, or Konquerer.
>
> Just some thoughts...

I mostly agree, though FF has never crashed for me. Maybe it's because
I use Linux, or maybe because it always annoys me away before it has a
chance.

Himm

Matt O'Toole wrote:
> As a long time Mozilla user, I've been using Firefox lately. Despite the hype,
> I don't see any advantages over Mozilla. It doesn't seem any faster on my
> 700Mhz machine, either starting up or browsing. While Mozilla runs perfectly
> smoothly all the time, Firefox seems a jerky loading pages, dealing with various
> plugins, etc., and has a few bugs here and there. I haven't had browser crashes
> for ages with Mozilla, but with Firefox I have one or two daily.
>
> What am I missing?
>
> Some people really like the separate Google search bar. I don't find it any
> real advantage -- if you set Mozilla to search Google automatically, all you do
> is type in the address bar, hit Tab | Enter, and it does the same thing. The
> only difference is hitting Tab before vs. after you type in your search terms.
> I guess not having the search terms show up in your address history is less
> confusing... so I'll go with this, but it's no big deal.
>
> Also, I still can't stand the Bookmark management, which is the same old legacy
> Netscape POS, only worse. This is one thing other browsers do better -- being
> able to right-click | delete bookmarks on the menu like IE, or opening an
> Explorer-type window and being able to drag and drop loads of bookmarks all at
> once, like older versions of IE, or Konquerer.
>
> Just some thoughts...
>
> Matt O.

you should continue to use mozilla then and stay happy

p51d007

Firefox is a stand alone browser, spun off from Mozilla
Mozilla is a browser, email client, irc manager, etc......it's a
"suite" whereas firefox is just a browser.

On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 17:00:40 -0500, "Matt O'Toole" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>As a long time Mozilla user, I've been using Firefox lately. Despite the hype,
>I don't see any advantages over Mozilla. It doesn't seem any faster on my
>700Mhz machine, either starting up or browsing. While Mozilla runs perfectly
>smoothly all the time, Firefox seems a jerky loading pages, dealing with various
>plugins, etc., and has a few bugs here and there. I haven't had browser crashes
>for ages with Mozilla, but with Firefox I have one or two daily.

kjetil

Matt O'Toole schreef:

> Also, I still can't stand the Bookmark management, which is the same old legacy
> Netscape POS, only worse. This is one thing other browsers do better -- being
> able to right-click | delete bookmarks on the menu like IE, or opening an
> Explorer-type window and being able to drag and drop loads of bookmarks all at
> once, like older versions of IE, or Konquerer.

that's true.
but if you install this extensions your problem will be fixes (imho)

http://update.mozilla.org/extensions...id=117&vid=265

kjetil

Keith Bowes

Himm wrote:
> Matt O'Toole wrote:
>
>> As a long time Mozilla user, I've been using Firefox lately. Despite
>> the hype,
>> I don't see any advantages over Mozilla. It doesn't seem any faster
>> on my
>> 700Mhz machine, either starting up or browsing. While Mozilla runs
>> perfectly
>> smoothly all the time, Firefox seems a jerky loading pages, dealing
>> with various
>> plugins, etc., and has a few bugs here and there. I haven't had
>> browser crashes
>> for ages with Mozilla, but with Firefox I have one or two daily.
>>
>> What am I missing?
>>
>> Some people really like the separate Google search bar. I don't find
>> it any
>> real advantage -- if you set Mozilla to search Google automatically,
>> all you do
>> is type in the address bar, hit Tab | Enter, and it does the same
>> thing. The
>> only difference is hitting Tab before vs. after you type in your
>> search terms.
>> I guess not having the search terms show up in your address history is
>> less
>> confusing... so I'll go with this, but it's no big deal.
>>
>> Also, I still can't stand the Bookmark management, which is the same
>> old legacy
>> Netscape POS, only worse. This is one thing other browsers do better
>> -- being
>> able to right-click | delete bookmarks on the menu like IE, or opening an
>> Explorer-type window and being able to drag and drop loads of
>> bookmarks all at
>> once, like older versions of IE, or Konquerer.
>>
>> Just some thoughts...
>>
>> Matt O.
>>

> you should continue to use mozilla then and stay happy

Of course. But the Mozilla guys act like it's the best thing since
sliced bread, pretend that only organizations that have standardized on
it (not individual users) use it, aggressively push it, and the
developers are extremely aristocratic.

So, it's not hard to wonder why so many people seem to like it. But no
one has any concrete answers.

Keith Bowes

p51d007 wrote:
> Firefox is a stand alone browser, spun off from Mozilla
> Mozilla is a browser, email client, irc manager, etc......it's a
> "suite" whereas firefox is just a browser.

Not quite. Firefox is a browser, download manager, RSS reader, ...
Mozilla is a browser, e-mail/newsgroup reader (optional), and HTML
editor. IRC chat is available for both.

So, Firefox lovers say it's only a browser, but it's actually everything
but an e-mail/newsgroup reader.

kjetil wrote:

> Matt O'Toole schreef:

>> Also, I still can't stand the Bookmark management, which is the same
>> old legacy Netscape POS, only worse. This is one thing other
>> browsers do better -- being able to right-click | delete bookmarks
>> on the menu like IE, or opening an Explorer-type window and being
>> able to drag and drop loads of bookmarks all at once, like older
>> versions of IE, or Konquerer.

> that's true.
> but if you install this extensions your problem will be fixes (imho)

> http://update.mozilla.org/extensions...id=117&vid=265

Looks good, but unfortunately won't work with my 1.0!

Matt O.