Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > remote access from windows to mac using VNC

Reply
Thread Tools

remote access from windows to mac using VNC

 
 
nospam
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-12-2014
I'm trying to set up remote access to my Dad's Mac OSX PC from my
Windows PC coz he's in the North Island and I'm in the South Island.
However, I'm not sure what I'm doing. I've download the realvnc
viewer. When it asks me to enter the "VNC server", do I put in the IP
address of my Dad's Mac e.g. 123.456.789.123 - or do I prefix with
vnc://123.456.789.123 - or what? The MAC doesn't have a static IP
address but I can find the IP address using the "shields up" website.

On my Dad's computer, it seems to be indicating that the firewall is
blocking remote access. Any ideas on how to turn that off? He is
using OS X version 10.6.8 snow leopard.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Malcolm
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-12-2014
On Sun 12 Jan 2014 11:01:40 PM CST, nospam wrote:

>I'm trying to set up remote access to my Dad's Mac OSX PC from my
>Windows PC coz he's in the North Island and I'm in the South Island.
>However, I'm not sure what I'm doing. I've download the realvnc
>viewer. When it asks me to enter the "VNC server", do I put in the IP
>address of my Dad's Mac e.g. 123.456.789.123 - or do I prefix with
>vnc://123.456.789.123 - or what? The MAC doesn't have a static IP
>address but I can find the IP address using the "shields up" website.
>
>On my Dad's computer, it seems to be indicating that the firewall is
>blocking remote access. Any ideas on how to turn that off? He is
>using OS X version 10.6.8 snow leopard.

Hi
Get Your Dad to install teamviewer for Mac, you install the windows
version and should be good to go;
http://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/mac.aspx

It does the connection via a remote server, but should work.... I guess
you would need to watch bandwidth usage?

If you want to use vnc, you would need to forward the vnc ports on the
external ip (in router) to the internal ip (mac) on the router.

You also wouldn't expose the vnc port on the internet side, eg 5900.
You would configure it for say 11590, then in the router forward to the
ip address and port 5900 of the Mac. Then ensure the firewall port is
open on the Mac.

--
Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 13.1 (Bottle) (x86_64) GNOME 3.10.2 Kernel 3.11.6-4-desktop
up 9:18, 3 users, load average: 0.46, 0.15, 0.08
CPU Intel® B840@1.9GHz | GPU Intel® Sandybridge Mobile

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Gordon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-13-2014
On 2014-01-12, Malcolm <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Sun 12 Jan 2014 11:01:40 PM CST, nospam wrote:
>
>>I'm trying to set up remote access to my Dad's Mac OSX PC from my
>>Windows PC coz he's in the North Island and I'm in the South Island.
>>However, I'm not sure what I'm doing.


Welcome to networking. Get on the learning curve.


>> I've download the realvnc
>>viewer. When it asks me to enter the "VNC server", do I put in the IP
>>address of my Dad's Mac e.g. 123.456.789.123 - or do I prefix with
>>vnc://123.456.789.123 - or what?


xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, no vnc pre fix. (The internet works in xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx)

>> The MAC doesn't have a static IP
>>address but I can find the IP address using the "shields up" website.
>>
>>On my Dad's computer, it seems to be indicating that the firewall is
>>blocking remote access. Any ideas on how to turn that off? He is
>>using OS X version 10.6.8 snow leopard.

> Hi
> Get Your Dad to install teamviewer for Mac, you install the windows
> version and should be good to go;
> http://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/mac.aspx


This has had very good reviews and worked a treat when I took it for a test
drive.

The paranoid might be concerned about traffic going through the thrid party.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Your Name
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-13-2014
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Gordon
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On 2014-01-12, Malcolm <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > Get Your Dad to install teamviewer for Mac, you install the windows
> > version and should be good to go;
> > http://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/mac.aspx

>
> This has had very good reviews and worked a treat when I took it for a test
> drive.
>
> The paranoid might be concerned about traffic going through the thrid party.


Or even a third party.

One of the people I sometimes deal with has had no problems using
TeamViewer when getting help from her son in England.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Crash
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-13-2014
On 13 Jan 2014 04:44:11 GMT, Gordon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 2014-01-12, Malcolm <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Sun 12 Jan 2014 11:01:40 PM CST, nospam wrote:
>>
>>>I'm trying to set up remote access to my Dad's Mac OSX PC from my
>>>Windows PC coz he's in the North Island and I'm in the South Island.
>>>However, I'm not sure what I'm doing.

>
>Welcome to networking. Get on the learning curve.
>

Actually there is an alternative Logmein (www.logmein.com). I have no
significant networking experience. I installed only on Windows
though.

This is very different to others in that on the host (yours) you need
a browser and on the client (your dads) you need Logmein client
software. I used the free variant to access my wife's desktop from my
laptop while we were away for 5 weeks in various parts of Europe
including Croatia. No problems - worked flawlessly.
>
>>> I've download the realvnc
>>>viewer. When it asks me to enter the "VNC server", do I put in the IP
>>>address of my Dad's Mac e.g. 123.456.789.123 - or do I prefix with
>>>vnc://123.456.789.123 - or what?

>
>xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, no vnc pre fix. (The internet works in xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx)
>
>>> The MAC doesn't have a static IP
>>>address but I can find the IP address using the "shields up" website.
>>>
>>>On my Dad's computer, it seems to be indicating that the firewall is
>>>blocking remote access. Any ideas on how to turn that off? He is
>>>using OS X version 10.6.8 snow leopard.

>> Hi
>> Get Your Dad to install teamviewer for Mac, you install the windows
>> version and should be good to go;
>> http://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/mac.aspx

>
>This has had very good reviews and worked a treat when I took it for a test
>drive.
>
>The paranoid might be concerned about traffic going through the thrid party.



--
Crash McBash
 
Reply With Quote
 
nospam
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-13-2014
On Sun, 12 Jan 2014 07:31:06 -0600, Malcolm
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi
>Get Your Dad to install teamviewer for Mac, you install the windows
>version and should be good to go;
>http://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/mac.aspx
>
>It does the connection via a remote server, but should work.... I guess
>you would need to watch bandwidth usage?
>
>If you want to use vnc, you would need to forward the vnc ports on the
>external ip (in router) to the internal ip (mac) on the router.
>
>You also wouldn't expose the vnc port on the internet side, eg 5900.
>You would configure it for say 11590, then in the router forward to the
>ip address and port 5900 of the Mac. Then ensure the firewall port is
>open on the Mac.


Thanks. Port forwarding will be too complicated so I'll try
TeamViewer or LogMeIn.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Your Name
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-13-2014
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, nospam
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Jan 2014 07:31:06 -0600, Malcolm
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >Hi
> >Get Your Dad to install teamviewer for Mac, you install the windows
> >version and should be good to go;
> >http://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/mac.aspx
> >
> >It does the connection via a remote server, but should work.... I guess
> >you would need to watch bandwidth usage?
> >
> >If you want to use vnc, you would need to forward the vnc ports on the
> >external ip (in router) to the internal ip (mac) on the router.
> >
> >You also wouldn't expose the vnc port on the internet side, eg 5900.
> >You would configure it for say 11590, then in the router forward to the
> >ip address and port 5900 of the Mac. Then ensure the firewall port is
> >open on the Mac.

>
> Thanks. Port forwarding will be too complicated so I'll try
> TeamViewer or LogMeIn.


There are a few other similar systems as well. Some of them will also
let you to remote-use a Mac from an iPhone or iPad.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: Getting photos from a friend with a Mac M-M Digital Photography 0 04-16-2013 06:10 AM
Re: Getting photos from a friend with a Mac nospam Digital Photography 1 04-16-2013 03:11 AM
Making ETL from Access 97 to Access 2003 Steeve Python 4 04-15-2013 07:02 PM
SSLexplorer is running with VNC extension. How do I setup it for tunneled remote access? Christian Drewing Wireless Networking 3 09-20-2006 05:23 PM
SSLexplorer is running with VNC extension. How do I setup it for tunneled remote access? Christian Drewing Wireless Networking 0 09-19-2006 07:04 PM



Advertisments