Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Where is that title gone ?

Where is that title gone ?

Gloops

Hello everybody,

When reading that page :
http://www.businessinsider.com/wsj-m...-search-2014-1

I saw that the most part of the H4 titles, at the beginning of them, was
invisible because of, virtually, a negative margin.

For instance, for the first one, I read : "oft CEO Thing... Probably
Not Happening!"

I saved the page locally, as well as the stylesheet :
http://static6.businessinsider.com/assets/css/min-1.css

that way I could replace "overflow:hidden" by "overflow:visible", at
least for style media-body, and in fact for most styles but as I saw
this one should have been the good one.

I can read a larger part of the title, but the beginning of it is still
not visible (except of course in the source of the page).

It appears like that as well in Firefox (with NoScript extension) as in
Internet Explorer. Is that only on my machine ?

It seems authorizing the scripts does not solve the problem.

I tried putting "float:left" instead of "float:none" (before going to
see what that means) in style pull-left, with no visible results.

I did not find how they did that, can anyone help me to understand ?
I thought to a table with fixed width, in fact there is only one table,
with style xignite-indices, there is no width set in it, is there ?

Osmo Saarikumpu

On 6.1.2014 11:57, Gloops wrote:
> http://www.businessinsider.com/wsj-m...-search-2014-1
>
> I saw that the most part of the H4 titles, at the beginning of them, was
> invisible because of, virtually, a negative margin.

Can't see a negative margin being set.

> For instance, for the first one, I read : "oft CEO Thing... Probably
> Not Happening!"

The H4 headers are completely visible here.

> It appears like that as well in Firefox (with NoScript extension) as in
> Internet Explorer. Is that only on my machine ?

I checked with Waterfox, IE9 and Chrome, no problem.

> It seems authorizing the scripts does not solve the problem.

Authorizing scripts did some change to the font, but the text was still
all there.

> I did not find how they did that, can anyone help me to understand ?

I don't think that they meant to hide them headers. The page contains
some markup errors and over 900 CSS errors, so all bets are off.

--
Best wishes, Osmo

Gloops

Le 06/01/2014 12:59, Osmo Saarikumpu a écrit :
> On 6.1.2014 11:57, Gloops wrote:
>> http://www.businessinsider.com/wsj-m...-search-2014-1
>>
>> I saw that the most part of the H4 titles, at the beginning of them, was
>> invisible because of, virtually, a negative margin.

> Can't see a negative margin being set.
>
>> For instance, for the first one, I read : "oft CEO Thing... Probably
>> Not Happening!"

> The H4 headers are completely visible here.

Oh, you mean the problem is specific to my machine :
http://cjoint.com/data3/3AgtoDr6JTR_...essinsider.jpg

Any idea where that can come from ?
It appears the same way in Firefox and IE8 ...

The system is Windows XP Home SP3, protected by Online Armor and
Microsoft Security Essentials.

> I don't think that they meant to hide them headers. The page contains
> some markup errors and over 900 CSS errors, so all bets are off.

Oh, seems to be something to learn, there

Thank you ...

dorayme

In article <lae5rq$6ts$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Osmo Saarikumpu <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On 6.1.2014 11:57, Gloops wrote:
> > http://www.businessinsider.com/wsj-m...-search-2014-1
> >
> > I saw that the most part of the H4 titles, at the beginning of them, was
> > invisible because of, virtually, a negative margin.

> Can't see a negative margin being set.
>
> > For instance, for the first one, I read : "oft CEO Thing... Probably
> > Not Happening!"

> The H4 headers are completely visible here.
>
> > It appears like that as well in Firefox (with NoScript extension) as in
> > Internet Explorer. Is that only on my machine ?

> I checked with Waterfox, IE9 and Chrome, no problem.
>
> > It seems authorizing the scripts does not solve the problem.

> Authorizing scripts did some change to the font, but the text was still
> all there.
>
> > I did not find how they did that, can anyone help me to understand ?

> I don't think that they meant to hide them headers. The page contains
> some markup errors and over 900 CSS errors, so all bets are off.

It appears as if all styles are off in my Safari, in some browsers,
very little appears (about 5 menu type links), in FF it looks fine,
there all sorts of odd things but not as OP describes. It is the sort
of page that that should be run away from in great haste, it has
probably not been tested properly by the author(s), it veers off the
path of best practice so far that you are right: all bets are off!

--
dorayme

Jonathan N. Little

Gloops wrote:
> Le 06/01/2014 12:59, Osmo Saarikumpu a écrit :
>> On 6.1.2014 11:57, Gloops wrote:
>>> http://www.businessinsider.com/wsj-m...-search-2014-1
>>>
>>> I saw that the most part of the H4 titles, at the beginning of them, was
>>> invisible because of, virtually, a negative margin.

>> Can't see a negative margin being set.
>>
>>> For instance, for the first one, I read : "oft CEO Thing... Probably
>>> Not Happening!"

>> The H4 headers are completely visible here.

> Oh, you mean the problem is specific to my machine :
> http://cjoint.com/data3/3AgtoDr6JTR_...essinsider.jpg
>
> Any idea where that can come from ?
> It appears the same way in Firefox and IE8 ...
>
> The system is Windows XP Home SP3, protected by Online Armor and
> Microsoft Security Essentials.
>
>> I don't think that they meant to hide them headers. The page contains
>> some markup errors and over 900 CSS errors, so all bets are off.
>>

> Oh, seems to be something to learn, there

It has to do with the width of your browser window. If you have a
widescreen monitor set browser >= 1080 it looks fine. Start narrowing
the windows and the images jump in size and left margin cuts off. I'd
say 'deziner' tried to some something fancy various view port and did an
epic fail.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

dorayme

In article <lafk4k$u0p$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Jonathan N. Little wrote:
>
> > It has to do with the width of your browser window. If you have a
> > widescreen monitor set browser >= 1080 it looks fine. Start narrowing
> > the windows and the images jump in size and left margin cuts off. I'd
> > say 'deziner' tried to some something fancy various view port and did an
> > epic fail.

> Oh wow. You're right, except your 1080 should be somewhere north of 1200
> for it to work correctly (and I use *that* term loosely!).

In my Mac Safari with a browser window several *miles* wide, there are
no obvious author styles, with my Mac FF, at very narrow indeed, it
behaves well. Perhaps there is a mess of browser sniffing in it.

--
dorayme

Jonathan N. Little

dorayme wrote:
> In article <lafk4k$u0p$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Jonathan N. Little wrote:
>>
>>> It has to do with the width of your browser window. If you have a
>>> widescreen monitor set browser >= 1080 it looks fine. Start narrowing
>>> the windows and the images jump in size and left margin cuts off. I'd
>>> say 'deziner' tried to some something fancy various view port and did an
>>> epic fail.

>> Oh wow. You're right, except your 1080 should be somewhere north of 1200
>> for it to work correctly (and I use *that* term loosely!).

> In my Mac Safari with a browser window several *miles* wide, there are
> no obvious author styles, with my Mac FF, at very narrow indeed, it
> behaves well. Perhaps there is a mess of browser sniffing in it.

Well "behaves well" is not what I would say, but with 760 KB of
stylesheets and 2922 KB of JavaScript I'm not debugging it.

See wide:

<http://www.littleworksstudio,com/temp/usenet/wide>

Not so wide, but by no means narrow!
<http://www.littleworksstudio,com/temp/usenet/notsowide>

Well my "miles" was only 3840px.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------

Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
> Jonathan N. Little wrote:
>
>> See wide:
>> <http://www.littleworksstudio,com/temp/usenet/wide>
>>
>> Not so wide, but by no means narrow!
>> <http://www.littleworksstudio,com/temp/usenet/notsowide>

> The links have commas instead of dots before the 'com' if anyone tries and
> fails.

damn fat fingers!
See wide:
<http://www.littleworksstudio.com/temp/usenet/wide>

Not so wide, but by no means narrow!
<http://www.littleworksstudio.com/temp/usenet/notsowide>

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

dorayme

In article <laft6n$a87$(E-Mail Removed)>,

> dorayme wrote:
> > In article <lafk4k$u0p$(E-Mail Removed)>,

> >> Oh wow. You're right, except your 1080 should be somewhere north of 1200
> >> for it to work correctly (and I use *that* term loosely!).

> > In my Mac Safari with a browser window several *miles* wide, there are
> > no obvious author styles, with my Mac FF, at very narrow indeed, it
> > behaves well. Perhaps there is a mess of browser sniffing in it.
> >

> Well "behaves well" is not what I would say

You might tend to say this if you saw it in my FF. It adapts well to
width, mostly to changes in text size (the extremes break it *a bit*).
In my Safari, it is very acceptable, if you like (as I do) no styles
(I have no idea why it presents so different in different browsers,
you should see it in Mac IE 5!)

--
dorayme

Jonathan N. Little

dorayme wrote:
> In article <laft6n$a87$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "Jonathan N. Little" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Well "behaves well" is not what I would say

> You might tend to say this if you saw it in my FF. It adapts well to
> width, mostly to changes in text size (the extremes break it *a bit*).
> In my Safari, it is very acceptable, if you like (as I do) no styles
> (I have no idea why it presents so different in different browsers,
> you should see it in Mac IE 5!)

If you scroll below look at the "See Also" section and the viewport is
less than 1280 the left margin clips content. It looks the same in FF in
Linux. Disable CCS and get a surprise, the image of Ballmer and Gates is
monstrous!

--
Take care,

Jonathan