Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Re: C library and C implement

Re: C library and C implement

osmium

"gyl" wrote:

> 2. Is it true that a C implement contains a C library?

With rare exceptions, an implementation includes a library and the stuff
needed to use it. However, many years ago I had a C compiler for the Atari
ST that did not. I actually managed to get it to print something to prove
that there really was a compiler there.

Someone will probably now make a long post explaining how that was not
really an implementation or that I just dreamed that or whatever. So be it.
And Happy New Year.

Keith Thompson

"osmium" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> "gyl" wrote:
>> 2. Is it true that a C implement contains a C library?

> With rare exceptions, an implementation includes a library and the stuff
> needed to use it. However, many years ago I had a C compiler for the Atari
> ST that did not. I actually managed to get it to print something to prove
> that there really was a compiler there.
>
> Someone will probably now make a long post explaining how that was not
> really an implementation or that I just dreamed that or whatever. So be it.
> And Happy New Year.

A freestanding implementation is only required to include a minimal
standard library; a handful of the standard headers are required, and
none of those declare any functions. (To be useful, a C implementation
will most likely include *some* kind of library.)