Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Java Profiler

Java Profiler

Endhe Elias

Hello everybody,

My name is Endhe and I am Msc student in Computer Science.
Well, Im looking for profilers to compose my framework. Using this framework, the developers should be able to evaluate a couple of persistence APIs.

I'm looking for a profiler with these features:

Get CPU and memory measures (time, consumption);
I want to get performance metrics of a single method, not a system, just a method.
Be an API.

Anybody can guide me?

Thanks in advance,
Endhe

Arved Sandstrom

On 12/26/2013 05:07 PM, Endhe Elias wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> My name is Endhe and I am Msc student in Computer Science.
> Well, Im looking for profilers to compose my framework. Using this framework, the developers should be able to evaluate a couple of persistence APIs.
>
> I'm looking for a profiler with these features:
>
> Get CPU and memory measures (time, consumption);
> I want to get performance metrics of a single method, not a system, just a method.
> Be an API.
>
> Anybody can guide me?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Endhe

Hi, Endhe, implementations of persistence APIs (JDBC, JPA, JDO, things
like MyBatis etc) _are_ frameworks. I'm not sure why you want to build a
meta-framework just to evaluate the Java persistence implementations.

Not to pour water on your campfire, but there is very little value to
what you are seeking to do. If you write something really learned on
Java persistence APIs and/or implementations, most people will ignore
it...or more likely, the people who have already written a few of them
have some decent clues.

Back in my day MSc work involved some original research. Unless I'm
missing something I see little original here.

AHS
--
When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign:
that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

Endhe Elias

Hello Arved,

It's just a part of my research, it isn't the whole MSc work.

I want to build a framework for a very specific persistence APIs. The ontology-based persistence APIs at object-level. There's no framework to evaluate these APIs.

Do you know any profilers which I can you use?

Regards,
Endhe

On Friday, December 27, 2013 1:10:15 AM UTC-3, Arved Sandstrom wrote:
> On 12/26/2013 05:07 PM, Endhe Elias wrote:
>
> > Hello everybody,

> > My name is Endhe and I am Msc student in Computer Science.

> > Well, I�m looking for profilers to compose my framework. Using this framework, the developers should be able to evaluate a couple of persistence APIs.

> > I'm looking for a profiler with these features:

> > � Get CPU and memory measures (time, consumption);

> > � I want to get performance metrics of a single method, not a system, just a method.

> > � Be an API.

> > Anybody can guide me?

> > Thanks in advance,

> > Endhe

> Hi, Endhe, implementations of persistence APIs (JDBC, JPA, JDO, things
>
> like MyBatis etc) _are_ frameworks. I'm not sure why you want to build a
>
> meta-framework just to evaluate the Java persistence implementations.
>

> Not to pour water on your campfire, but there is very little value to
>
> what you are seeking to do. If you write something really learned on
>
> Java persistence APIs and/or implementations, most people will ignore
>
> it...or more likely, the people who have already written a few of them
>
> have some decent clues.
>

> Back in my day MSc work involved some original research. Unless I'm
>
> missing something I see little original here.
>

> AHS
>
> --
>
> When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign:
>
> that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.
>
> -- Jonathan Swift

Arved Sandstrom

On 12/27/2013 10:15 AM, Endhe Elias wrote:
> Hello Arved,
>
> It's just a part of my research, it isn't the whole MSc work.
>
> I want to build a framework for a very specific persistence APIs. The ontology-based persistence APIs at object-level. There's no framework to evaluate these APIs.
>
> Do you know any profilers which I can you use?
>
> Regards,
> Endhe

[ SNIP ]

Glad you took no offense, Endhe. None meant. I simply didn't see the
value in what you originally described. I suspect in any case that you'd
make a more cogent argument in your native language.

I may not be a computer scientist, but I've got some experience: what
exactly do you mean by "ontology-based persistence APIs at
object-level"? I suspect that any decent persistence API writer has
always understood the semantics of persistence: if there is a
non-ontology-based persistence API I myself would prefer not to use it.
"Object-level"? Fair enough, you're interested in ORMs.

As for profilers, tell me why the readily discoverable advice in this
article (http://www.infoq.com/articles/java-p...th-open-source)
is not adequate?

AHS
--
When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign:
that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.
-- Jonathan Swift

Endhe Elias

Hi Arved,

Im not offended =)

Its quite hard to explain in any language, but let me try.

During the development of an ontology-based application, the manipulation of instances in database is one of the major steps in the process of development. There are currently two main approaches used by the semantic persistence tools: RDF triples and object-oriented development. RDF triples are like SQL Statement and object-oriented is API like Hibernate.

So, Id like to evaluate the object-oriented persistence APIs for semantic-based application.

However, the profilers whom I found are command line-based or other systems(e.g. Netbeans Profiler) and I have to find a profiler which I can use as API.

Ill read the article.

If you have any questions, please, let me know.

Thank you very much for your tips.

On Friday, December 27, 2013 1:31:42 PM UTC-3, Arved Sandstrom wrote:
> On 12/27/2013 10:15 AM, Endhe Elias wrote:
>
> > Hello Arved,

> > It's just a part of my research, it isn't the whole MSc work.

> > I want to build a framework for a very specific persistence APIs. The ontology-based persistence APIs at object-level. There's no framework to evaluate these APIs.

> > Do you know any profilers which I can you use?

> > Regards,

> > Endhe

> [ SNIP ]
>

> Glad you took no offense, Endhe. None meant. I simply didn't see the
>
> value in what you originally described. I suspect in any case that you'd
>
> make a more cogent argument in your native language.
>

> I may not be a computer scientist, but I've got some experience: what
>
> exactly do you mean by "ontology-based persistence APIs at
>
> object-level"? I suspect that any decent persistence API writer has
>
> always understood the semantics of persistence: if there is a
>
> non-ontology-based persistence API I myself would prefer not to use it.
>
> "Object-level"? Fair enough, you're interested in ORMs.
>

> As for profilers, tell me why the readily discoverable advice in this
>
> article (http://www.infoq.com/articles/java-p...th-open-source)
>
> is not adequate?
>

> AHS
>
> --
>
> When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign:
>
> that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.
>
> -- Jonathan Swift

JLP

I am not sure it is what you want,
look at ( tools that inject byte code at runtime):
ASM => http://asm.ow2.org/
BCEL => http://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-bcel/

Or with a higher level :
AspectJ => http://eclipse.org/aspectj/
Byteman => http://www.jboss.org/byteman

+ standard JSE API in package java.lang.management.

Easy Profiler - Compile-time profiler for C++ potatosoftware C++ 0 11-04-2009 04:46 PM
Best Java Profiler? Chris Java 1 11-24-2004 09:17 AM
Java Performance Profiler Fatih Java 4 10-07-2004 07:25 PM
Java Profiler Rob Shepherd Java 2 05-17-2004 06:37 PM
Java Profiler in JDK? Robert Mark Bram Java 2 11-19-2003 11:16 AM

Advertisments