Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Re: PDL Questions - Dec. 21, 2013

Re: PDL Questions - Dec. 21, 2013

George Mpouras

Perl is great, but for row calculation power there is only C.
So I think youy core function must me coded in C and use them through
the module Inline::C

George Mpouras

Στις 21/12/2013 19:28, ο/η E.D.G. *γραψε:
> "George Mpouras" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:l94ifl$1g9$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Perl is great, but for row calculation power there is only C.

> http://pdl.perl.org
>
> So far I haven't seen a good explanation of exactly how the PDL
> module works. But I am guessing that when Perl is told to run, that
> module converts some specially written Perl code to something like C
> language code. And then that C (or whatever) code runs instead of having
> Perl run all of the Perl code one statement at a time.

are you involved at pdl.perl.org ?
if so, and you want any specific help to translate something to newer
Perl version I could help

John Black

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> , http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...

> "George Mpouras" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:l94ifl$1g9$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Perl is great, but for row calculation power there is only C.

> http://pdl.perl.org
>
> So far I haven't seen a good explanation of exactly how the PDL
> module works. But I am guessing that when Perl is told to run, that module
> converts some specially written Perl code to something like C language code.
> And then that C (or whatever) code runs instead of having Perl run all of
> the Perl code one statement at a time.

From page 7 of the PDL manual: "In PDL each of these [functions] is implemented by heavily
optimized C code, which is what makes PDL very efficient for procession of large chunks of
data. If you did the same operation using normal perl arrays rather than piddles it would be
about ten to twenty times slower (and use ten times more memory)."

John Black

Jrgen Exner

Henry Law <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On 23/12/13 14:32, E.D.G. wrote:
>> from the lack of responses here to my questions I have to wonder how
>> many people are actually using the Perl PDL module.

>Don't lose heart; don't be discouraged. The lack of response here is
>probably because people lose the will to live through trying to help you
>in your futile project.

s/lose/lost many years ago/

jue