Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Re: Can't create new files on drive roots in Win8?

Re: Can't create new files on drive roots in Win8?

Gene E. Bloch

On 12/14/2013, Robbie Hatley posted:
> Greetings, group. My first post here. (I used to hang out on
> the Win2000 groups a lot, then WinXP; but now that I'm using
> Windows 8.1, I figure *this* group is more appropriate.)

> I ran into a problem today: I found that I cannot create new
> files in the root directory of my C: drive (ie, "C:\").
> I've never had reason to try to do so in the 2 months or so
> I've had this Asus notebook running Windows 8.1, until today,
> when I tried making a batch file called "substs.bat" with
> the following content:

> subst D: C:\D
> subst E: C:\E
> subst F: C:\F
> subst G: C:\G

[Verbiage and rants clipped]

Of the five groups you posted to, not one was alt.os.comp.windows-8.

*That* group might have been approriate.

You can't use the root so easily. However, you could make a directory
in the root and put your substitute files their. Or not. Just try it.

Why you'd want to do that is beyond me. Your explanations don't make me
much better...

Anyway, your first job is to learn about the OS you are using.

--
Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)

Gene E. Bloch

On 12/15/2013, Gene E. Bloch posted:
> don't make me much better

don't make me *feel* much better

Nor, apparently, make me *think* much better

--
Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)

GS

on 12/16/2013, Robbie Hatley supposed :
> As I
> pointed out, you can *put* files in "C:\" all you want (by copying
> them there from elsewhere); you just can't *create* them there.
> Does that seem idiotic to you? It does to me. But that is apparently
> how Windows Vista, 7, and 8 do it, I'm learning.

Not entirely accurate!!!

I don't use Win8 but on WinNT/XP/Vista/Win7 I have no problems creating
new files on C:\ whether I do it manually or programatically! My
systems are networked and so access is restricted as can be, but
doesn't present the problem you describe here. (Note that WinNT is x32,
all others are x64)

--
Garry

ClassicVB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

---

Gene E. Bloch

On 12/16/2013, Robbie Hatley posted:
>> [Verbiage and rants clipped]

> New to cyberspace, I take it? (Either that, or been living in a cave,
> or perhaps in prison, for the past 10 years?) Starting a communique
> with ad-hominem rhetoric right off the bat is a horrible idea; tips
> your hand as an asshole and a troll from the very first second and
> instantly mars your readers' view of you, and dramatically decreases
> their trust in all you say.

> You're welcome.

>> Of the five groups you posted to, not one was
>> alt.os.comp.windows-8.

> None of my servers carry that group. The only windows-8 group I saw
> listed was in Italian (a language I don't speak).

>> *That* group might have been approriate.

> Perhaps.

>> You can't use the root so easily.

> You can always use it for grafting. (I've been looking at the
> botanical pictures in the Voynich Manuscript today, you see.
> Also, I just like ****ing with trolls' minds. It's fun.)

I see you're branching off into botany. I enjoyed that...

[Further verbiage & rants from both the OP & me clipped]

I did catch one of my errors, as I posted, but I missed "their"

Sorry you don't have alt.os.comp.windows-8 but I believe some free
servers carry it, such as Aioe & Albasani.

--
Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)