Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Ping IT guys - XP 100% CPU question

Ping IT guys - XP 100% CPU question

~misfit~

Hi folks,

I've noticed in the last year or so that a machine running XP that has
missed updates (been in stoarge) will often run at 100% CPU for a while (up
to ~30mins was the previous longest I've seen). However as soon as it
connects with Windows Update the CPU usage drops back to normal (1 - 5% or
so). (I have all my machines set to check for updates and the check with
me - so I don't get driver updates I don't want etc.)

It's svchost.exe that's the culprit - but that's not saying much as there
are multiple instances of svchost in Task manager, variously described as
'SYSTEM' 'LOCAL SERVICE' or NETWORK SERVICE'. The one that's to blame in
these cases is labeled as 'SYSTEM'.

This hits me quite hard as I've ended up with a collection of Pentium M
ThinkPads (that I'd originally bought to refurbish and sell on but then the
arse fell out and I found I couldn't even recoup the price of the RAM and
HDD upgrades yet alone my time). Consequently I've kept some... Maybe 10.
LOL.

I've got a ThinkPad here that I want to use to monitor my CCTV. I've been
running it on-and-off for three days and it's doing as above - but not
finding updates this time. So it's constantly on 100% CPU and almost
completely unresponsive - and I've let it run for half a day at a time with
no change. I wonder if it's due to MS pulling XP update servers? I fired up
another TP last month to give to my folks and it sorted itself out after an
hour or two. LOL, at first they didn't want it desite the beautiful IPS
screen as it was totally unresponsive but once it updated they were rapt
with it.

Oh, I just did a quick Google before posting and it seems that, unlike the
last time I Googled it a couple of weeks ago, I get lots of hits and the
general community is aware of it and the cause.

http://www.infoworld.com/t/microsoft...ue-soon-230940
http://www.infoworld.com/t/microsoft...2879017-230733
.... seem to be the best description of the issue. I've turned off Auto
Updates and it's running fine now. I',m pleased to see I was right about the
cause when I first diagnosed it maybe six months back (but couldn't find
corroborating evidence back then).

Oh well I'll post this anyway in case anyone else is having the same
issue....
--
/Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1).
[Sent from my OrbitalT ocular implant interface]

Malcolm

On Fri 13 Dec 2013 01:07:03 PM CST, ~misfit~ wrote:

>Hi folks,
>
>I've noticed in the last year or so that a machine running XP that has
>missed updates (been in stoarge) will often run at 100% CPU for a
>while (up to ~30mins was the previous longest I've seen). However as
>soon as it connects with Windows Update the CPU usage drops back to
>normal (1 - 5% or so). (I have all my machines set to check for
>updates and the check with me - so I don't get driver updates I don't
>want etc.)
>
>It's svchost.exe that's the culprit - but that's not saying much as
>there are multiple instances of svchost in Task manager, variously
>described as 'SYSTEM' 'LOCAL SERVICE' or NETWORK SERVICE'. The one
>that's to blame in these cases is labeled as 'SYSTEM'.
>
>This hits me quite hard as I've ended up with a collection of Pentium
>M ThinkPads (that I'd originally bought to refurbish and sell on but
>then the arse fell out and I found I couldn't even recoup the price of
>the RAM and HDD upgrades yet alone my time). Consequently I've kept
>some... Maybe 10. LOL.
>
>I've got a ThinkPad here that I want to use to monitor my CCTV. I've
>been running it on-and-off for three days and it's doing as above -
>but not finding updates this time. So it's constantly on 100% CPU
>and almost completely unresponsive - and I've let it run for half a
>day at a time with no change. I wonder if it's due to MS pulling XP
>update servers? I fired up another TP last month to give to my folks
>and it sorted itself out after an hour or two. LOL, at first they
>didn't want it desite the beautiful IPS screen as it was totally
>unresponsive but once it updated they were rapt with it.
>
>Oh, I just did a quick Google before posting and it seems that, unlike
>the last time I Googled it a couple of weeks ago, I get lots of hits
>and the general community is aware of it and the cause.
>
>http://www.infoworld.com/t/microsoft...ue-soon-230940
>http://www.infoworld.com/t/microsoft...2879017-230733
>... seem to be the best description of the issue. I've turned off Auto
>Updates and it's running fine now. I',m pleased to see I was right
>about the cause when I first diagnosed it maybe six months back (but
>couldn't find corroborating evidence back then).
>
>Oh well I'll post this anyway in case anyone else is having the same
>issue....

Hi
Have they stopped XP updates already?

Since you have 10, install openSUSE on one, or download a live cd and
try it out....?

--
Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
SLED 11 SP3 (x86_64) GNOME 2.28.0 Kernel 3.0.101-0.8-default

Your Name

In article <l8dj3a$1rs$(E-Mail Removed)>, ~misfit~
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I've noticed in the last year or so that a machine running XP that has
> missed updates (been in stoarge) will often run at 100% CPU for a while (up
> to ~30mins was the previous longest I've seen). However as soon as it
> connects with Windows Update the CPU usage drops back to normal (1 - 5% or
> so). (I have all my machines set to check for updates and the check with
> me - so I don't get driver updates I don't want etc.)
>
> It's svchost.exe that's the culprit - but that's not saying much as there
> are multiple instances of svchost in Task manager, variously described as
> 'SYSTEM' 'LOCAL SERVICE' or NETWORK SERVICE'. The one that's to blame in
> these cases is labeled as 'SYSTEM'.
>
> This hits me quite hard as I've ended up with a collection of Pentium M
> ThinkPads (that I'd originally bought to refurbish and sell on but then the
> arse fell out and I found I couldn't even recoup the price of the RAM and
> HDD upgrades yet alone my time). Consequently I've kept some... Maybe 10.
> LOL.
>
> I've got a ThinkPad here that I want to use to monitor my CCTV. I've been
> running it on-and-off for three days and it's doing as above - but not
> finding updates this time. So it's constantly on 100% CPU and almost
> completely unresponsive - and I've let it run for half a day at a time with
> no change. I wonder if it's due to MS pulling XP update servers? I fired up
> another TP last month to give to my folks and it sorted itself out after an
> hour or two. LOL, at first they didn't want it desite the beautiful IPS
> screen as it was totally unresponsive but once it updated they were rapt
> with it.
>
> Oh, I just did a quick Google before posting and it seems that, unlike the
> last time I Googled it a couple of weeks ago, I get lots of hits and the
> general community is aware of it and the cause.
>

> http://www.infoworld.com/t/microsoft...ws-xp-update-s
> vchost-redline-issue-soon-230940
>
> http://www.infoworld.com/t/microsoft...ocks-machines-
> svchost-redlined-100-fix-it-kb-2879017-230733
> ... seem to be the best description of the issue. I've turned off Auto
> Updates and it's running fine now. I',m pleased to see I was right about the
> cause when I first diagnosed it maybe six months back (but couldn't find
> corroborating evidence back then).
>
> Oh well I'll post this anyway in case anyone else is having the same
> issue....

Apparently lots of Windoze users have. Try these links for fixing
runaway SVCHost.exe CPU usage ...

http://www.technibble.com/how-to-fix...u-memory-leak/

http://www.wikihow.com/Solve-the-Svc...ilization-Prob
lem

It should also be noted that "SVChost.exe" is simply a generic and
meaningless process name, which can also sometimes be malware ...
http://www.file.net/process/svchost.exe.html

It's been a while, but I think that was one of malware processes that
eventually killed my mother's old Windows 2000 PC and was never
recognised or removed by the likes of Avast and AVG.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Malcolm wrote:
> On Fri 13 Dec 2013 01:07:03 PM CST, ~misfit~ wrote:
>
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I've noticed in the last year or so that a machine running XP that
>> has missed updates (been in stoarge) will often run at 100% CPU for a
>> while (up to ~30mins was the previous longest I've seen). However as
>> soon as it connects with Windows Update the CPU usage drops back to
>> normal (1 - 5% or so). (I have all my machines set to check for
>> updates and the check with me - so I don't get driver updates I don't
>> want etc.)
>>
>> It's svchost.exe that's the culprit - but that's not saying much as
>> there are multiple instances of svchost in Task manager, variously
>> described as 'SYSTEM' 'LOCAL SERVICE' or NETWORK SERVICE'. The one
>> that's to blame in these cases is labeled as 'SYSTEM'.
>>
>> This hits me quite hard as I've ended up with a collection of Pentium
>> M ThinkPads (that I'd originally bought to refurbish and sell on but
>> then the arse fell out and I found I couldn't even recoup the price
>> of the RAM and HDD upgrades yet alone my time). Consequently I've
>> kept some... Maybe 10. LOL.
>>
>> I've got a ThinkPad here that I want to use to monitor my CCTV. I've
>> been running it on-and-off for three days and it's doing as above -
>> but not finding updates this time. So it's constantly on 100%
>> CPU and almost completely unresponsive - and I've let it run for
>> half a day at a time with no change. I wonder if it's due to MS
>> pulling XP update servers? I fired up another TP last month to give
>> to my folks and it sorted itself out after an hour or two. LOL, at
>> first they didn't want it desite the beautiful IPS screen as it was
>> totally unresponsive but once it updated they were rapt with it.
>>
>> Oh, I just did a quick Google before posting and it seems that,
>> unlike the last time I Googled it a couple of weeks ago, I get lots
>> of hits and the general community is aware of it and the cause.
>>
>> http://www.infoworld.com/t/microsoft...ue-soon-230940
>> http://www.infoworld.com/t/microsoft...2879017-230733
>> ... seem to be the best description of the issue. I've turned off
>> Auto Updates and it's running fine now. I',m pleased to see I was
>> right about the cause when I first diagnosed it maybe six months
>> back (but couldn't find corroborating evidence back then).
>>
>> Oh well I'll post this anyway in case anyone else is having the same
>> issue....

> Hi

Hi Malcolm.

> Have they stopped XP updates already?

No, I think that's due in about a year. However the servers seem slow.

> Since you have 10, install openSUSE on one, or download a live cd and
> try it out....?

Ehhhh.... I've tried several alternative operating systems over the years
but the thing is these ThinkPads were designed to run XP - with drivers for
XP (and even for Visa / 7 for some) available. When I want to use one I want
just that - not to spend hours / days getting it all running right. Not only
that but one of the things I love about them is that I can run Notebook
Hardware Control under XP and underclock the CPUs (often significatly) which
hugely reduces heat, heat stress and power usage.

Hope you're well, best to you and yours.
--

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Your Name wrote:
> In article <l8dj3a$1rs$(E-Mail Removed)>, ~misfit~
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I've noticed in the last year or so that a machine running XP that
>> has missed updates (been in stoarge) will often run at 100% CPU for
>> a while (up to ~30mins was the previous longest I've seen). However
>> as soon as it connects with Windows Update the CPU usage drops back
>> to normal (1 - 5% or so). (I have all my machines set to check for
>> updates and the check with
>> me - so I don't get driver updates I don't want etc.)
>>
>> It's svchost.exe that's the culprit - but that's not saying much as
>> there are multiple instances of svchost in Task manager, variously
>> described as 'SYSTEM' 'LOCAL SERVICE' or NETWORK SERVICE'. The one
>> that's to blame in these cases is labeled as 'SYSTEM'.
>>
>> This hits me quite hard as I've ended up with a collection of
>> Pentium M ThinkPads (that I'd originally bought to refurbish and
>> sell on but then the arse fell out and I found I couldn't even
>> recoup the price of the RAM and HDD upgrades yet alone my time).
>> Consequently I've kept some... Maybe 10. LOL.
>>
>> I've got a ThinkPad here that I want to use to monitor my CCTV. I've
>> been running it on-and-off for three days and it's doing as above -
>> but not finding updates this time. So it's constantly on 100%
>> CPU and almost completely unresponsive - and I've let it run for
>> half a day at a time with no change. I wonder if it's due to MS
>> pulling XP update servers? I fired up another TP last month to give
>> to my folks and it sorted itself out after an hour or two. LOL, at
>> first they didn't want it desite the beautiful IPS screen as it was
>> totally unresponsive but once it updated they were rapt with it.
>>
>> Oh, I just did a quick Google before posting and it seems that,
>> unlike the last time I Googled it a couple of weeks ago, I get lots
>> of hits and the general community is aware of it and the cause.
>>

>> http://www.infoworld.com/t/microsoft...ws-xp-update-s
>> vchost-redline-issue-soon-230940
>>
>> http://www.infoworld.com/t/microsoft...ocks-machines-
>> svchost-redlined-100-fix-it-kb-2879017-230733
>> ... seem to be the best description of the issue. I've turned off
>> Auto Updates and it's running fine now. I',m pleased to see I was
>> right about the cause when I first diagnosed it maybe six months
>> back (but couldn't find corroborating evidence back then).
>>
>> Oh well I'll post this anyway in case anyone else is having the same
>> issue....

> Apparently lots of Windoze users have. Try these links for fixing
> runaway SVCHost.exe CPU usage ...
>
> http://www.technibble.com/how-to-fix...u-memory-leak/
>
> http://www.wikihow.com/Solve-the-Svc...ilization-Prob
> lem

Thanks, bookmarked for later perusal.

> It should also be noted that "SVChost.exe" is simply a generic and
> meaningless process name, which can also sometimes be malware ...
> http://www.file.net/process/svchost.exe.html

Yep, discovered that ages ago when I first had trouble (as noted above, that
there are multiple instances running).

> It's been a while, but I think that was one of malware processes that
> eventually killed my mother's old Windows 2000 PC and was never
> recognised or removed by the likes of Avast and AVG.

Ok, I can see how that would happen.

Cheers,
--
/Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1).
[Sent from my OrbitalT ocular implant interface]

Your Name

In article <l8ili0$7fa$(E-Mail Removed)>, ~misfit~
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> [...]
> >>
> >> Oh well I'll post this anyway in case anyone else is having the same
> >> issue....

> > Apparently lots of Windoze users have. Try these links for fixing
> > runaway SVCHost.exe CPU usage ...
> >
> > http://www.technibble.com/how-to-fix...u-memory-leak/
> >
> > http://www.wikihow.com/Solve-the-Svc...ilization-Prob
> > lem

> Thanks, bookmarked for later perusal.
>
> > It should also be noted that "SVChost.exe" is simply a generic and
> > meaningless process name, which can also sometimes be malware ...
> > http://www.file.net/process/svchost.exe.html

> Yep, discovered that ages ago when I first had trouble (as noted above, that
> there are multiple instances running).
>
> > It's been a while, but I think that was one of malware processes that
> > eventually killed my mother's old Windows 2000 PC and was never
> > recognised or removed by the likes of Avast and AVG.

Unfortunately because it is just a generic name, there can legitimately
be multiple instances running. Which is no doubt partly why the
anti-virus software doesn't find it and why the scum writing malware
use it.

David Empson

~misfit~ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Malcolm wrote:
> > Have they stopped XP updates already?

> No, I think that's due in about a year.

8 April 2014, to be precise (presumably in the US, so 9 April for us).

Less than four months away, but XP still accounts for more than 1/3 of
all web site accesses from computers running Windows.

--
David Empson

Enkidu

On 15/12/13 13:25, Your Name wrote:
> In article <l8ili0$7fa$(E-Mail Removed)>, ~misfit~
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Your Name wrote:

>>> Apparently lots of Windoze users have. Try these links for fixing
>>> runaway SVCHost.exe CPU usage ...
>>>
>>> http://www.technibble.com/how-to-fix...u-memory-leak/
>>>
>>> http://www.wikihow.com/Solve-the-Svc...ilization-Prob
>>> lem

>> Thanks, bookmarked for later perusal.
>>
>>> It should also be noted that "SVChost.exe" is simply a generic and
>>> meaningless process name, which can also sometimes be malware ...
>>> http://www.file.net/process/svchost.exe.html

>> Yep, discovered that ages ago when I first had trouble (as noted above, that
>> there are multiple instances running).
>>
>>> It's been a while, but I think that was one of malware processes that
>>> eventually killed my mother's old Windows 2000 PC and was never
>>> recognised or removed by the likes of Avast and AVG.

>> Ok, I can see how that would happen.

> Unfortunately because it is just a generic name, there can legitimately
> be multiple instances running. Which is no doubt partly why the
> anti-virus software doesn't find it and why the scum writing malware
> use it.

svchost.exe is simply the software that allows stuff to run as a
service. Not all services run under svchost, but some do. I believe all
manually created services do as well as some programmatically created
services. Most virus software is able to detect viruses that pretend to
be svchost.exe.

Cheers,

Cliff

Your Name

In article <52ad3a77$(E-Mail Removed)>, Enkidu
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On 15/12/13 13:25, Your Name wrote:
> > In article <l8ili0$7fa$(E-Mail Removed)>, ~misfit~
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> Thanks, bookmarked for later perusal.

> >> Yep, discovered that ages ago when I first had trouble (as noted above,
> >> that there are multiple instances running).

> >> Ok, I can see how that would happen.

> > Unfortunately because it is just a generic name, there can legitimately
> > be multiple instances running. Which is no doubt partly why the
> > anti-virus software doesn't find it and why the scum writing malware
> > use it.
> >

> svchost.exe is simply the software that allows stuff to run as a
> service. Not all services run under svchost, but some do. I believe all
> manually created services do as well as some programmatically created
> services.

I never said everything was called that ... although in hopeless
Microsoft world it wouldn't have surprised me in the least.

> Most virus software is able to detect viruses that pretend to
> be svchost.exe.

Apparently they can't detect them since neither AVG nor Avast (used
individually at different times and properly updated regularly) ever
stoped malware appearing on my mother's old Windoze computer.

Enkidu

On 15/12/13 19:12, Your Name wrote:
> In article <52ad3a77$(E-Mail Removed)>, Enkidu
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On 15/12/13 13:25, Your Name wrote:

>>> Unfortunately because it is just a generic name, there can legitimately
>>> be multiple instances running. Which is no doubt partly why the
>>> anti-virus software doesn't find it and why the scum writing malware
>>> use it.
>>>

>> svchost.exe is simply the software that allows stuff to run as a
>> service. Not all services run under svchost, but some do. I believe all
>> manually created services do as well as some programmatically created
>> services.

> I never said everything was called that ... although in hopeless
> Microsoft world it wouldn't have surprised me in the least.
>

>> Most virus software is able to detect viruses that pretend to
>> be svchost.exe.

> Apparently they can't detect them since neither AVG nor Avast (used
> individually at different times and properly updated regularly) ever
> stopped malware appearing on my mother's old Windoze computer.

There is no evidence that an infection of svchost.exe is how malware
appeared on your mother's PC.

The process by which services run is what is called a bootstrap process.
Because services run from DLLs (dynamic libraries) and windows only runs
..exes, the svchost process is a stub executable which loads the service
DLL. That's why they are different in size. The virus software should be
able to look at the DLL which the svchost.exe stub loads. svchost.exe
itself is irrelevant.

Cheers,

Cliff