Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Re: "Use of assignment to $[ is deprecated" means I will need to spend all night to update my program

Re: "Use of assignment to $[ is deprecated" means I will need to spend all night to update my program

Jürgen Exner

>http://jidanni.org/astro/programs/jupmoons
>produces "Use of assignment to $[ is deprecated".
>
>Which means I need to delicately adjust various array indexes all over
>my program.

Welcome to the 21st century.
$[: "As of release 5 of Perl[...] Its use is highly
discouraged."

Perl 5 was released almost 20 years ago (October 1994). If you still
have to maintain programs that are over 20 years old then maybe it is
indeed time to update them.

jue