Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Some advice for an HTML novice please

Some advice for an HTML novice please

se

"Ed Mullen" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelelsen
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> se wrote:
>>
>> "Jonathan N. Little" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelelsen
>> news:l87d6t$qfq$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Okay first of all those are not typos, but css hacks. Not that I am
>>> condoning the use of hacks, I don't. Hack always bite you in the end.
>>>
>>> Those hacks rely on different versiona of MSIE did not properly handle
>>> invalid css rules. A browser is supposed to IGNORE an invalid rule
>>> where MS incorrectly had IE "overlook" the syntax errors, a sort of
>>> "best guess auto-correct" and apply the rule where conforming browsers
>>> would ignore it...
>>>

>>> --
>>> Take care,

>> Thanks,
>> Another error shows up in Chrome:
>> Borders around the links on some of the last level drop-downs
>> disappeares. Not saying it relates to use of hacks.
>> None considerable errs, indeed.

> Hmm. Not seeing that here in Chrome

Look at:

MOZILLA > MOZILLA MAIN
and
GENERAL > MAIN

These third level drop-downs shows the cells without borders
(exept the first cell) in contrast to the other third level drop downs.

Enthough I would call them second level drop-downs, I say
third level in keeping with your own statement.

My chrome version: 31.0.1650.63m

/se

> --
> Ed Mullen
> http://edmullen.net/
> "A synonym is a word you use when you can't spell the word you first
> thought of." - Burt Bacharach

se

"Ed Mullen" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelelsen
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> se wrote:

> Hmm. Not seeing that here in Chrome

I may conclude you're on a linux system. Chrome may
be different for linux and window not displaying a website
the same on these systems.
Will you confirm / or disprove this by informing me of your
operating system.

Thank you for the link. If you want, I can put up a couple of
screendump. But will not present the links here, as I don't
want my website indexed on any newsgroups. So in case,
I'll send a link via your website - if you accept it.

I've looked again at your menu-stylesheet. Borders CAN be
set, such that any of the 5 major browsers will display them.

/se

> --
> Ed Mullen
> http://edmullen.net/
> "A synonym is a word you use when you can't spell the word you first
> thought of." - Burt Bacharach

Yeah, realizes that's the truth. It comes to my mind as a none native
en. language writer.
a forreign language -en.

Jonathan N. Little

se wrote:

> "Ed Mullen" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelelsen
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> se wrote:

>> Hmm. Not seeing that here in Chrome

> I may conclude you're on a linux system.

Not if you looked at his user-agent string:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:25.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/25.0
SeaMonkey/2.22.1

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

se

"Jonathan N. Little" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelelsen
news:l8d60k$f9f$(E-Mail Removed)...
> se wrote:
>>
>> "Ed Mullen" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelelsen
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> se wrote:

>>> Hmm. Not seeing that here in Chrome

>> I may conclude you're on a linux system.

> Not if you looked at his user-agent string:
>
> Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:25.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/25.0
> SeaMonkey/2.22.1
>

> --
> Take care,
>
> Jonathan
> -------------------
> LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
> http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Aha...
The browsers running font-size. I have to zoom it down,
then borders shows up.

You had figured out that one, Jonathan. Don't you.
/se

se

"Ed Mullen" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelelsen
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> se wrote:
>
> Hmm. Not seeing that here in Chrome

Now that web-police finished with your website. And I even
took care of it myself. And that it's all over by now. I suggest
that you sit down and play your OLD Defective guitar. This
will undoubtedly bring your thin-frayed nerves back into the
inside of your skin, where you normally DO hide them.

Perhapse he meant:
Synonyms are words used by "Hot-Text" and other foreigners,
when they try to write in english.

> --
> Ed Mullen
> http://edmullen.net/
> "A synonym is a word you use when you can't spell the word you first
> thought of." - Burt Bacharach

se

"Ed Mullen" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelelsen
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> se wrote:
>>
>> "Jonathan N. Little" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelelsen
>> news:l8d60k$f9f$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Not if you looked at his user-agent string:
>>>
>>> Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:25.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/25.0
>>> SeaMonkey/2.22.1
>>>

>>> --
>>> Take care,
>>>
>>> Jonathan
>>> -------------------
>>> LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
>>> http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

>> Aha...
>> The browsers running font-size. I have to zoom it down,
>> then borders shows up.
>>
>> You had figured out that one, Jonathan. Don't you.
>> /se

> Your replies are getting both oddly indecipherable and irrelevant.

This below copied from your websites home-page, does not copy
with your attitute shown in your two last threads here. When you're
not capable to decipher humour unless what is issued by yourself.
Not either have the technical skils to know whats acceptable css-style
design techniques. You should defer playing false like your do with your
statement copied from your website and presented below.

All in all I realize, I made a mistake starting my intented helpfull
discussion
with you. Rather, you now have been shown yourself as being an idiot.
Which besides your lack of other than a self-concentric based understanding
of humour, moreover proves via use of unbelieveable messy css-styles,
displaying your websites pages with kinda errors, kinda errors that
normally belongs in the category of errors made by novices. Yet asking
for help. Then afterwards all in a sudden starts throwing "Drones".
I AM afraid of americans. I long had a feeling, that human descendents
sometimes out in future will get in real trouble with US.

/se

From your websites index page: www.edmullen.net/

F A Q - (The Web police made me do this!)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you find something here that doesn't work, is misspelled, annoys you,causes global warming, whatever, please do write to me and let me know.>> --> Ed Mullen> http://edmullen.net/> It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at theend.

From your websites index page: www.edmullen.net/
F A Q - (The Web police made me do this!)
If you find something here that doesn't work, is misspelled, annoys you,
causes global warming, whatever, please do write to me and let me know.

> --
> Ed Mullen
> http://edmullen.net/
> It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the
> end.

se

From your websites index page: www.edmullen.net/

On 12/10/2013 10:49 AM, Jonathan N. Little wrote:
> se wrote:
>>
>> "Jonathan N. Little" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelelsen
>> news:l85npo$p3l$(E-Mail Removed)...

<snip>

>> You got that wrong. I can't imagine that this error in the
>> links (<a></a>) of the drop-down menu could possibly
>> be displaying in my IE6, and be none existing of another IE6 -
>> in your IE6. How can the typos in the websites css-styles
>> I posted in my previous post be in conformity with your
>> conclusion. Looking at his demo, you posted a screendump
>> of, it displays differently from the site-menu. But it is still
>> impossible to read the hovered ancher-text in the drop-downs
>> listes, because, as can be seen in the last one of my posted
>> copies below of styles from the websites menu css-stylesheets,
>> the ancher-text needs a color change at hover. And those
>> typos in it "t\op:31px; w\idth:128px;" is hardly insignificant.:
>> Please check it out.:
>>
>> /* another hack for IE5.5 */
>> * html .menu ul ul {
>> top:30px;
>> t\op:31px;
>> }
>>
>> /* yet another hack for IE5.5 */
>> * html .menu ul ul a, * html .menu ul ul a:visited {
>> width:150px;
>> w\idth:128px;
>> }
>>

>> /* style the third level hover */
>> .menu ul ul ul a:hover {
>> background: #fbf9ef url(/images/sig_bg_s.jpg);
>> }
>>

> Okay first of all those are not typos, but css hacks. Not that I am
> condoning the use of hacks, I don't. Hack always bite you in the end.

And, it's a hack for a browser that was used in Windows 98.

This just shows how old the menu code is. Nobody writes hacks for IE5.5
anymore. You can't serve the distant past and ignore the present.

Jeff

notbob

On 2013-12-06, Ed Mullen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> http://htmldog.com/

Agree. Simple, straightforward, and to the point. The perfect place
to start.

nb