Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Another file barf

Another file barf

Robert Baer

Had CorelDraw open to a (CDR generated) vector graphics file, and at
times made mods during session.
Had EAGLE open to a .BRD file to view results from a .SCRipt file
(ASCII commands to Eagle) that would draw curves.
Idea was to edit that script file to better approximate the looks of
the graphics file.
Added graphic "hints" (circles) to both as well as a reference
horizontal line to both.
Went to close things down, and something did not look right when i
closed the CDR file.
Attempting to re-open gave me a blank (new) work sheet.
Got a little hot under collar.
Did a nasty of copying that "blank" .CDR to desktop, renamed that and
copied back to folder of original.
That copy worked OK only *ONCE*; this is verry bad and (to be
X-rated) is eXremely undesirable, as how the F can i keep that file
stable and working?
ProcessExplorer and OpenFilesView show no suspects.

VanguardLH

Robert Baer wrote:

> Had CorelDraw open to a (CDR generated) vector graphics file, and at
> times made mods during session.
> Had EAGLE open to a .BRD file to view results from a .SCRipt file
> (ASCII commands to Eagle) that would draw curves.
> Idea was to edit that script file to better approximate the looks of
> the graphics file.
> Added graphic "hints" (circles) to both as well as a reference
> horizontal line to both.
> Went to close things down, and something did not look right when i
> closed the CDR file.
> Attempting to re-open gave me a blank (new) work sheet.
> Got a little hot under collar.
> Did a nasty of copying that "blank" .CDR to desktop, renamed that and
> copied back to folder of original.
> That copy worked OK only *ONCE*; this is verry bad and (to be
> X-rated) is eXremely undesirable, as how the F can i keep that file
> stable and working?
> ProcessExplorer and OpenFilesView show no suspects.

What is this "Baby Bird (GooGull)" you mention here and in your other
thread? Seems you used it on PDF files and now on these files. What is
"EAGLE"?

Have you ever ran "chkdsk <drive:> /r" on all your drives (all
partitions of all hard disks that have a drive letter designation)?

Paul

VanguardLH wrote:
> Robert Baer wrote:
>
>> Had CorelDraw open to a (CDR generated) vector graphics file, and at
>> times made mods during session.
>> Had EAGLE open to a .BRD file to view results from a .SCRipt file
>> (ASCII commands to Eagle) that would draw curves.
>> Idea was to edit that script file to better approximate the looks of
>> the graphics file.
>> Added graphic "hints" (circles) to both as well as a reference
>> horizontal line to both.
>> Went to close things down, and something did not look right when i
>> closed the CDR file.
>> Attempting to re-open gave me a blank (new) work sheet.
>> Got a little hot under collar.
>> Did a nasty of copying that "blank" .CDR to desktop, renamed that and
>> copied back to folder of original.
>> That copy worked OK only *ONCE*; this is verry bad and (to be
>> X-rated) is eXremely undesirable, as how the F can i keep that file
>> stable and working?
>> ProcessExplorer and OpenFilesView show no suspects.

> What is this "Baby Bird (GooGull)" you mention here and in your other
> thread? Seems you used it on PDF files and now on these files. What is
> "EAGLE"?
>
> Have you ever ran "chkdsk <drive:> /r" on all your drives (all
> partitions of all hard disks that have a drive letter designation)?

Eagle is for PCB design. "Baby Bird (GooGull)" refers to using
Google for doing web searches.

I can't figure out what's going on. If I had to start somewhere,
I'd use Process Monitor (sysinternals.com) and try to get a
complete trace without filter events, from new file to locked
file or corrupted file. Just to see what other things are active
and contributing to the mess.

You can save a trace from Process Monitor, as a .PML file, and
review it later if desired. All the events should be there.
The biggest one I've ever gathered, was around 500MB.

Paul

Robert Baer

VanguardLH wrote:
> Robert Baer wrote:
>
>> Had CorelDraw open to a (CDR generated) vector graphics file, and at
>> times made mods during session.
>> Had EAGLE open to a .BRD file to view results from a .SCRipt file
>> (ASCII commands to Eagle) that would draw curves.
>> Idea was to edit that script file to better approximate the looks of
>> the graphics file.
>> Added graphic "hints" (circles) to both as well as a reference
>> horizontal line to both.
>> Went to close things down, and something did not look right when i
>> closed the CDR file.
>> Attempting to re-open gave me a blank (new) work sheet.
>> Got a little hot under collar.
>> Did a nasty of copying that "blank" .CDR to desktop, renamed that and
>> copied back to folder of original.
>> That copy worked OK only *ONCE*; this is verry bad and (to be
>> X-rated) is eXremely undesirable, as how the F can i keep that file
>> stable and working?
>> ProcessExplorer and OpenFilesView show no suspects.

> What is this "Baby Bird (GooGull)" you mention here and in your other
> thread? Seems you used it on PDF files and now on these files. What is
> "EAGLE"?

* My pet funzie name for Google is GooGull AKA Baby (goo) Bird (gull);
a reference source many people use.
Eagle, or more properly E.A.G.L.E., sort for the CAD program Easily
Applicable Graphical Layout Editor.

> Have you ever ran "chkdsk<drive:> /r" on all your drives (all
> partitions of all hard disks that have a drive letter designation)?

Good idea; will try that. Avast shows zero malware.

VanguardLH

Robert Baer wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote:
>
>> What is this "Baby Bird (GooGull)" you mention here and in your other
>> thread? Seems you used it on PDF files and now on these files. What is
>> "EAGLE"?

> * My pet funzie name for Google is GooGull AKA Baby (goo) Bird (gull);
> a reference source many people use.

Heard of "bingle" (Bing and Google, meaning when doing online searching
to look at the results of those). This is the first and only time
hearing Baby Bird but won't bother memorizing unless I hear it more
often.

> Avast shows zero malware.

Also check with MalwareBytes AntiMalware. The free version doesn't
include an on-access (realtime) scanner so it's good for just doing a
manual scan. Be careful with its report since it may suggest changing
registry settings that are user tweaks because malware might change
them, too, along with PUPs (Probably Unwanted Programs). Many anti-
malware tools like to report Nirsoft's tools as PUPs because some of its
tools can be used to do nasty things since it can dig deep but, in the
same overreaching vein, they should also be reporting any program
compilers and script interpreters.

Robert Baer

VanguardLH wrote:
> Robert Baer wrote:
>
>> Had CorelDraw open to a (CDR generated) vector graphics file, and at
>> times made mods during session.
>> Had EAGLE open to a .BRD file to view results from a .SCRipt file
>> (ASCII commands to Eagle) that would draw curves.
>> Idea was to edit that script file to better approximate the looks of
>> the graphics file.
>> Added graphic "hints" (circles) to both as well as a reference
>> horizontal line to both.
>> Went to close things down, and something did not look right when i
>> closed the CDR file.
>> Attempting to re-open gave me a blank (new) work sheet.
>> Got a little hot under collar.
>> Did a nasty of copying that "blank" .CDR to desktop, renamed that and
>> copied back to folder of original.
>> That copy worked OK only *ONCE*; this is verry bad and (to be
>> X-rated) is eXremely undesirable, as how the F can i keep that file
>> stable and working?
>> ProcessExplorer and OpenFilesView show no suspects.

> What is this "Baby Bird (GooGull)" you mention here and in your other
> thread? Seems you used it on PDF files and now on these files. What is
> "EAGLE"?
>
> Have you ever ran "chkdsk<drive:> /r" on all your drives (all
> partitions of all hard disks that have a drive letter designation)?

Have put CHKDSK C: /F onto the queue via the CMD emulator,shut down,
booted up and looked at the results.
It processed very fast and one cannot read what is happening most of
the time.
But there are zero problems.

Robert Baer

VanguardLH wrote:
> Robert Baer wrote:
>
>> VanguardLH wrote:
>>
>>> What is this "Baby Bird (GooGull)" you mention here and in your other
>>> thread? Seems you used it on PDF files and now on these files. What is
>>> "EAGLE"?

>> * My pet funzie name for Google is GooGull AKA Baby (goo) Bird (gull);
>> a reference source many people use.

> Heard of "bingle" (Bing and Google, meaning when doing online searching
> to look at the results of those). This is the first and only time
> hearing Baby Bird but won't bother memorizing unless I hear it more
> often.
>
>> Avast shows zero malware.

> Also check with MalwareBytes AntiMalware. The free version doesn't
> include an on-access (realtime) scanner so it's good for just doing a
> manual scan. Be careful with its report since it may suggest changing
> registry settings that are user tweaks because malware might change
> them, too, along with PUPs (Probably Unwanted Programs). Many anti-
> malware tools like to report Nirsoft's tools as PUPs because some of its
> tools can be used to do nasty things since it can dig deep but, in the
> same overreaching vein, they should also be reporting any program
> compilers and script interpreters.

"GooGull" is a term i created; doubt it will spread..

VanguardLH

Robert Baer wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote:
>
>> Have you ever ran "chkdsk<drive:> /r" on all your drives (all
>> partitions of all hard disks that have a drive letter designation)?

> Have put CHKDSK C: /F onto the queue via the CMD emulator,shut down,
> booted up and looked at the results. It processed very fast and one
> cannot read what is happening most of the time. But there are zero
> problems.

No, use the /r command-line parameter. The /f only checks integrity of
the file system. It does *not* verify the sectors on the media of the
hard disk can be reliably read. /f just checks the file system despite
"chkdsk /?" saying /f "fixes errors on the disk". /r checks the actual
media. /f only checks the clusters currently assigned within the file
system. /r checks ALL clusters on the hard disk, including those that
are not yet assigned (free) and will be used later, like when you're
writing to files, even the one you currently opened from its existing
clusters may use other clusters when you write the file.

/r is not a comprehensive test. It doesn't exercise the media to test
for problems, like waning retentiveness (dipole stress of magnetic media
which weakens the signal strength as the dipoles want to align to their
natural least "stress" position relative to the other dipoles). GRC
(Gibson Research) has an extension Spinrite program but it costs $89 (so
you could buy another drive for the money -- this is really a utility
you put in your software toolbox to fix more than one disk). It has a
function that users rarely think about: refreshing their sectors.
Dipole stress will weaken the bits recorded on the media. So if you
never write to that same spot, the bit will become harder to read over
time. There might be other tools than Spinrite that exercise the bits
to ensure they are at max strength. I think HDD Regenerator ($100) can
also do an in-place bit fresh but I suspect they call regeneration.
Many folks will make the blanket statement that if such tools find
problems with the hard disk that it's time to save the data and replace
the disk. Not true. It depends on what types of "errors" get reported.
For example, if bits were found to be weak but a refresh gets done then
there is no physical fault with the drive. Dipole stress occurs with
all magnetic media. Without such a tool, the only way I know how to
touch all the in-use bits to refresh them is to save an image backup,
format the partition, and restore the image. That's a lot of work. I
figure my average lifespan for an install of Windows is about 3 years, 4
at the most. By then, I've encountered problems with the old OS and
instead of trying to dig into them and spend days or weeks on a problem,
I just start over with a fresh install of the OS, install the apps, do
updates, and restore data from backups. However, if you don't do that
for 6-7 years then those dipoles are tilting under stress and becoming
weaker to read. Spinrite (and another but I don't remember its name but
is similarly priced to Spinrite) will do an in-place refresh of all
those used bits.

If "chkdsk <drive> /r" finds problems, let it fix them. Those problems
it reports are with reading from the media. You don't want to only test
the bits in the clusters that are currently assigned to files. You want
to test the rest of the media, too, since that is to where you be
writing your files. If /r doesn't find any problems then use the drive
maker's diagnostic program. It may be more robust in testing the media
and is free.

CHKDSK is a console command. You need to open a console to see its
output to stdout (standard output). If you run it, say, from Start ->
Run then the shell for the program will open a shell or console (you see
the black window), run, and when the program exits then the shell exits,
too, so you no longer have a window. You have to FIRST open a console
window (run "cmd.exe") and then run the program. When the program
exits, the shell you opened will remain open and you can see the stdout
of the program. This is classical DOS behavior. You don't know DOS
mode? Time to learn. Lots of utilities run as console programs.

Robert Baer

VanguardLH wrote:
> [...]

> to test the rest of the media, too, since that is to where you be
> writing your files. If /r doesn't find any problems then use the drive
> maker's diagnostic program. It may be more robust in testing the media
> and is free.
>
> CHKDSK is a console command. You need to open a console to see its
> output to stdout (standard output). If you run it, say, from Start ->
> Run then the shell for the program will open a shell or console (you see
> the black window), run, and when the program exits then the shell exits,
> too, so you no longer have a window. You have to FIRST open a console
> window (run "cmd.exe") and then run the program. When the program
> exits, the shell you opened will remain open and you can see the stdout
> of the program. This is classical DOS behavior. You don't know DOS
> mode? Time to learn. Lots of utilities run as console programs.

So to speak,i grew up with DOS; that is the level used for GhostPE and
SpinRite (which i have had every version since 1.0).
Thanks.

VanguardLH

Robert Baer wrote:

> [...]

>> maker's diagnostic program. It may be more robust in testing the media
>> and is free.
>>
>> CHKDSK is a console command. You need to open a console to see its
>> output to stdout (standard output). If you run it, say, from Start ->
>> Run then the shell for the program will open a shell or console (you see
>> the black window), run, and when the program exits then the shell exits,
>> too, so you no longer have a window. You have to FIRST open a console
>> window (run "cmd.exe") and then run the program. When the program
>> exits, the shell you opened will remain open and you can see the stdout
>> of the program. This is classical DOS behavior. You don't know DOS
>> mode? Time to learn. Lots of utilities run as console programs.

> So to speak,i grew up with DOS; that is the level used for GhostPE and
> SpinRite (which i have had every version since 1.0).

I lost my SpinRite 5.0 in a move. I wanted to upgrade but didn't have
the old version from which to upgrade to a newer version. The full
price is a bit high and I can buy a hefty sized new hard disk for that
price. I have backups on separate media so when a disk goes bad it's a
choice between buying Spinrite to resurrect a failing drive or buy a new
drive. Buying a new drive has won so far several times. If I was
maintaining lots of computers, like at the help desk or computer shop,
then Spinrite's cost would be the operating expenses of building a
software toolbox for hardware recovery.

Have you ran Spinrite on your drive?