Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > HELPPPP! (Verdammdt handles)

HELPPPP! (Verdammdt handles)

Robert Baer

This is getting worse and worse.
First, i would rarely get a file that is locked by "another process".
Then more and more files got that way, and i found that if i drag and
copy to the desktop, that copy was OK.
Also, that turning the computer off would fix them all.
No longer.
It is so damn bad, that:
1) burning a CD of the files when unlocked
2) when some are later locked, copying files FROM THE CD to anywhere
gives me a GD LOCKED file!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And ProcessExplorer finds NONE of them!

To say the least,i am F-ing ****ed!

I need (1) to find out what is locking these files so that i can KILL
it with a sawed-off shotgun loaded with rock salt, and (2) find a way to
prevent this crap from continuing.

HELP?

Robert Baer

Robert Baer wrote:
> This is getting worse and worse.
> First, i would rarely get a file that is locked by "another process".
> Then more and more files got that way, and i found that if i drag and
> copy to the desktop, that copy was OK.
> Also, that turning the computer off would fix them all.
> No longer.
> It is so damn bad, that:
> 1) burning a CD of the files when unlocked
> 2) when some are later locked, copying files FROM THE CD to anywhere
> gives me a GD LOCKED file!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
> And ProcessExplorer finds NONE of them!
>
> To say the least,i am F-ing ****ed!
>
> I need (1) to find out what is locking these files so that i can KILL it
> with a sawed-off shotgun loaded with rock salt, and (2) find a way to
> prevent this crap from continuing.
>
> HELP?

The bad files were/are all PDF, so i uninstalled my Adobe Acrobat
4.05 (reader / Writer).
Then i re-installed it,to no avail.
The ****y part of this is, the locked (being used by another process)
file can be accessed by GSview!
Now,on occasion, a file now comes up in the reader as "viewer cannot
decrypt this document".
Again, GSview finds NOTHING wrong with the file!

Paul

Robert Baer wrote:
> Robert Baer wrote:
>> This is getting worse and worse.
>> First, i would rarely get a file that is locked by "another process".
>> Then more and more files got that way, and i found that if i drag and
>> copy to the desktop, that copy was OK.
>> Also, that turning the computer off would fix them all.
>> No longer.
>> It is so damn bad, that:
>> 1) burning a CD of the files when unlocked
>> 2) when some are later locked, copying files FROM THE CD to anywhere
>> gives me a GD LOCKED file!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>> And ProcessExplorer finds NONE of them!
>>
>> To say the least,i am F-ing ****ed!
>>
>> I need (1) to find out what is locking these files so that i can KILL it
>> with a sawed-off shotgun loaded with rock salt, and (2) find a way to
>> prevent this crap from continuing.
>>
>> HELP?
>>

> The bad files were/are all PDF, so i uninstalled my Adobe Acrobat 4.05
> (reader / Writer).
> Then i re-installed it,to no avail.
> The ****y part of this is, the locked (being used by another process)
> file can be accessed by GSview!
> Now,on occasion, a file now comes up in the reader as "viewer cannot
> decrypt this document".
> Again, GSview finds NOTHING wrong with the file!

Is this still on Win2K ?

What are you using for antivirus or malware protection ?
Is real-time scanning enabled on said software ?

The reason PDFs receive a nominal scan, is because
the built-in support for Javascript, inside a PDF,
makes them a "dangerous" thing to download. As far
as the AV people are concerned.

I've actually clicked a web page, and someone was
trying to deliver a PDF file with Javascript
payload in it. Because the file tried to download
as soon as the web page appeared, I knew something
was up. And a check with a hex editor, showed it had
a Javascript script inside it. Such a script is
normally not necessary for any reasonable purpose.
The only time lots of Javascript makes sense, is if
the PDF you prepare is a "multimedia circus" that
needs to interact with the user.

Paul

VanguardLH

Robert Baer wrote:

> This is getting worse and worse.
> First, i would rarely get a file that is locked by "another process".
> Then more and more files got that way, and i found that if i drag and
> copy to the desktop, that copy was OK.
> Also, that turning the computer off would fix them all.
> No longer.
> It is so damn bad, that:
> 1) burning a CD of the files when unlocked
> 2) when some are later locked, copying files FROM THE CD to anywhere
> gives me a GD LOCKED file!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
> And ProcessExplorer finds NONE of them!
>
> To say the least,i am F-ing ****ed!
>
> I need (1) to find out what is locking these files so that i can KILL
> it with a sawed-off shotgun loaded with rock salt, and (2) find a way to
> prevent this crap from continuing.
>
> HELP?

Get Emptyloop's Unlocker utility. Prior to Vista, it's resident helper
utility would pop up a prompt when you tried to delete a file that was
inuse. In Win7, that doesn't work and, as I recall, it didn't work in
Vista, either. You don't really need it. If you try to delete a file
and cannot, right-click on it in Windows Explorer and select the
Unlocker context menu entry. It will show you which processes have a
handle on that file. You can try unloading the app that has a lock on
the file (could be Windows Explorer, explorer.exe, which is also the
desktop manager) or use Unlocker to remove the handle and delete the
file. If it cannot delete it while it is inuse, you can tell it to
delete on bootup. This uses a PendingRename registry key with the
action to delete the file. Windows will look at this registry key and
rename, move, or delete files before it loads any user-mode processes.

http://www.emptyloop.com/unlocker/

I believe during its install that you should watch for bundleware.
Their installer is adware and, by default, may try to install other
unwanted software. A lot of freeware is like this. Do a custom install
or read the screens carefully so you don't get stuck installing more
than just the program you intended to install.

I have used LockHunter in the past and it was mostly good unless I
needed it to delete a file on Windows bootup. Instead of using the
registry key, or in addition to it, it wanted to write to some .ini file
under my %appdata% path but kept failing so I couldn't delete the file
on a reboot. Unlocker works just as well and better for the delete on
reboot function.

Robert Baer

Paul wrote:
> Robert Baer wrote:
>> Robert Baer wrote:
>>> This is getting worse and worse.
>>> First, i would rarely get a file that is locked by "another process".
>>> Then more and more files got that way, and i found that if i drag and
>>> copy to the desktop, that copy was OK.
>>> Also, that turning the computer off would fix them all.
>>> No longer.
>>> It is so damn bad, that:
>>> 1) burning a CD of the files when unlocked
>>> 2) when some are later locked, copying files FROM THE CD to anywhere
>>> gives me a GD LOCKED file!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>> And ProcessExplorer finds NONE of them!
>>>
>>> To say the least,i am F-ing ****ed!
>>>
>>> I need (1) to find out what is locking these files so that i can KILL it
>>> with a sawed-off shotgun loaded with rock salt, and (2) find a way to
>>> prevent this crap from continuing.
>>>
>>> HELP?
>>>

>> The bad files were/are all PDF, so i uninstalled my Adobe Acrobat 4.05
>> (reader / Writer).
>> Then i re-installed it,to no avail.
>> The ****y part of this is, the locked (being used by another process)
>> file can be accessed by GSview!
>> Now,on occasion, a file now comes up in the reader as "viewer cannot
>> decrypt this document".
>> Again, GSview finds NOTHING wrong with the file!

> Is this still on Win2K ?

* Yes.

> What are you using for antivirus or malware protection ?

* Avast!

> Is real-time scanning enabled on said software ?

* Yes.

> The reason PDFs receive a nominal scan, is because
> the built-in support for Javascript, inside a PDF,
> makes them a "dangerous" thing to download. As far
> as the AV people are concerned.

* Well, many of the files were created locally using Word or locally
scanned document printed to the Acrobat PDF printer (courtesy of Acrobat
4.05).
Some of the PDF files were sent via e-mail from individuals.

> I've actually clicked a web page, and someone was
> trying to deliver a PDF file with Javascript
> payload in it. Because the file tried to download
> as soon as the web page appeared, I knew something
> was up. And a check with a hex editor, showed it had
> a Javascript script inside it. Such a script is
> normally not necessary for any reasonable purpose.
> The only time lots of Javascript makes sense, is if
> the PDF you prepare is a "multimedia circus" that
> needs to interact with the user.

* None of the PDFs received from individuals had any "multimedia"
indications in the text; no reason for that flim-flam as these were
court and related documents.

> Paul

At present,there is only one PDF file with a problem (cannot decrypt
document).
In the past, when i had a bunch of PDFs most being used by another
process, i saw a second sub-process; do not remember what that was.
But the Baby Bird (GooGull) references indicated that the system file
can be corrupted and gave a way to fix it.
Right now,the only suspicious process is LSASS,and the Baby Bird
refers to:
http://www.iobit.com/exedll/lsass-exe.html
I am leery of generic fixes like this; no way of knowing what kind of
damage lurks behind downloads.

Isn't there a program that will ALWAYS show files that pretend to be
busy (no prompting)?
I say "pretend" because those PDFs that could not be opened by the
Acrobat Reader, could be easily opened by GsView, Kedit, and Notepad.

And what about a program that will do a little debugging of this
"cannot decrypt" business?

Robert Baer

VanguardLH wrote:
> Robert Baer wrote:
>
>> This is getting worse and worse.
>> First, i would rarely get a file that is locked by "another process".
>> Then more and more files got that way, and i found that if i drag and
>> copy to the desktop, that copy was OK.
>> Also, that turning the computer off would fix them all.
>> No longer.
>> It is so damn bad, that:
>> 1) burning a CD of the files when unlocked
>> 2) when some are later locked, copying files FROM THE CD to anywhere
>> gives me a GD LOCKED file!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>> And ProcessExplorer finds NONE of them!
>>
>> To say the least,i am F-ing ****ed!
>>
>> I need (1) to find out what is locking these files so that i can KILL
>> it with a sawed-off shotgun loaded with rock salt, and (2) find a way to
>> prevent this crap from continuing.
>>
>> HELP?

> Get Emptyloop's Unlocker utility. Prior to Vista, it's resident helper
> utility would pop up a prompt when you tried to delete a file that was
> inuse. In Win7, that doesn't work and, as I recall, it didn't work in
> Vista, either. You don't really need it. If you try to delete a file
> and cannot, right-click on it in Windows Explorer and select the
> Unlocker context menu entry. It will show you which processes have a
> handle on that file. You can try unloading the app that has a lock on
> the file (could be Windows Explorer, explorer.exe, which is also the
> desktop manager) or use Unlocker to remove the handle and delete the
> file. If it cannot delete it while it is inuse, you can tell it to
> delete on bootup. This uses a PendingRename registry key with the
> action to delete the file. Windows will look at this registry key and
> rename, move, or delete files before it loads any user-mode processes.
>
> http://www.emptyloop.com/unlocker/
>
> I believe during its install that you should watch for bundleware.
> Their installer is adware and, by default, may try to install other
> unwanted software. A lot of freeware is like this. Do a custom install
> or read the screens carefully so you don't get stuck installing more
> than just the program you intended to install.
>
> I have used LockHunter in the past and it was mostly good unless I
> needed it to delete a file on Windows bootup. Instead of using the
> registry key, or in addition to it, it wanted to write to some .ini file
> under my %appdata% path but kept failing so I couldn't delete the file
> on a reboot. Unlocker works just as well and better for the delete on
> reboot function.

Well, i am not trying to delete a file, and when i do, there is NO
problem.
Maybe the Unlocker or LockHunter will show the locked files and allow
me to JUST remove the lock; better yet tell me which F-ing program is
grabbing on to it (could be of great help).
Thanks; will try on a HD copy.

Paul

Robert Baer wrote:
> Paul wrote:
>> Robert Baer wrote:

>>> The bad files were/are all PDF, so i uninstalled my Adobe Acrobat 4.05
>>> (reader / Writer).
>>> Then i re-installed it,to no avail.
>>> The ****y part of this is, the locked (being used by another process)
>>> file can be accessed by GSview!
>>> Now,on occasion, a file now comes up in the reader as "viewer cannot
>>> decrypt this document".
>>> Again, GSview finds NOTHING wrong with the file!

>> Is this still on Win2K ?

> * Yes.
>

>> What are you using for antivirus or malware protection ?

> * Avast!
>
>> Is real-time scanning enabled on said software ?

> * Yes.
>

>> The reason PDFs receive a nominal scan, is because
>> the built-in support for Javascript, inside a PDF,
>> makes them a "dangerous" thing to download. As far
>> as the AV people are concerned.

> * Well, many of the files were created locally using Word or locally
> scanned document printed to the Acrobat PDF printer (courtesy of Acrobat
> 4.05).
> Some of the PDF files were sent via e-mail from individuals.
>

>> I've actually clicked a web page, and someone was
>> trying to deliver a PDF file with Javascript
>> payload in it. Because the file tried to download
>> as soon as the web page appeared, I knew something
>> was up. And a check with a hex editor, showed it had
>> a Javascript script inside it. Such a script is
>> normally not necessary for any reasonable purpose.
>> The only time lots of Javascript makes sense, is if
>> the PDF you prepare is a "multimedia circus" that
>> needs to interact with the user.

> * None of the PDFs received from individuals had any "multimedia"
> indications in the text; no reason for that flim-flam as these were
> court and related documents.
>>
>> Paul

> At present,there is only one PDF file with a problem (cannot decrypt
> document).
> In the past, when i had a bunch of PDFs most being used by another
> process, i saw a second sub-process; do not remember what that was.
> But the Baby Bird (GooGull) references indicated that the system file
> can be corrupted and gave a way to fix it.
> Right now,the only suspicious process is LSASS,and the Baby Bird
> refers to:
> http://www.iobit.com/exedll/lsass-exe.html
> I am leery of generic fixes like this; no way of knowing what kind of
> damage lurks behind downloads.
>
> Isn't there a program that will ALWAYS show files that pretend to be
> busy (no prompting)?
> I say "pretend" because those PDFs that could not be opened by the
> Acrobat Reader, could be easily opened by GsView, Kedit, and Notepad.
>
> And what about a program that will do a little debugging of this
> "cannot decrypt" business?

You can try Wikipedia for LSASS. I think it's one of those
processes, that if it were to die, the OS would shut down.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LSASS

This article gives an example of something that "messes with LSASS".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sasser_(computer_worm)

*******

For "cannot decrypt" you would need to see the security properties
of the document. Acrobat has a properties page. In a search, I
haven't found anything better yet.

Documents can be protected at least three ways. With a
password. With a security certificate. And with Adobe Livecycle
(some kinda server for documents).

http://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acr...ityMethods.pdf

What's weird, is that a PDF (logically), you should
alway be able to check the properties. It isn't very useful
to pop up a dialog like that, unless the viewer tool
can state what kind of security is in place. It's possible
the reader is too older to state what the new security
method is. I have yet to find a tool that can just
list the document properties, without actually opening
the document.

Paul

VanguardLH

Robert Baer wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote:
>> Robert Baer wrote:
>>
>>> This is getting worse and worse.
>>> First, i would rarely get a file that is locked by "another process".
>>> Then more and more files got that way, and i found that if i drag and
>>> copy to the desktop, that copy was OK.
>>> Also, that turning the computer off would fix them all.
>>> No longer.
>>> It is so damn bad, that:
>>> 1) burning a CD of the files when unlocked
>>> 2) when some are later locked, copying files FROM THE CD to anywhere
>>> gives me a GD LOCKED file!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>> And ProcessExplorer finds NONE of them!
>>>
>>> To say the least,i am F-ing ****ed!
>>>
>>> I need (1) to find out what is locking these files so that i can KILL
>>> it with a sawed-off shotgun loaded with rock salt, and (2) find a way to
>>> prevent this crap from continuing.
>>>
>>> HELP?

>> Get Emptyloop's Unlocker utility. Prior to Vista, it's resident helper
>> utility would pop up a prompt when you tried to delete a file that was
>> inuse. In Win7, that doesn't work and, as I recall, it didn't work in
>> Vista, either. You don't really need it. If you try to delete a file
>> and cannot, right-click on it in Windows Explorer and select the
>> Unlocker context menu entry. It will show you which processes have a
>> handle on that file. You can try unloading the app that has a lock on
>> the file (could be Windows Explorer, explorer.exe, which is also the
>> desktop manager) or use Unlocker to remove the handle and delete the
>> file. If it cannot delete it while it is inuse, you can tell it to
>> delete on bootup. This uses a PendingRename registry key with the
>> action to delete the file. Windows will look at this registry key and
>> rename, move, or delete files before it loads any user-mode processes.
>>
>> http://www.emptyloop.com/unlocker/
>>
>> I believe during its install that you should watch for bundleware.
>> Their installer is adware and, by default, may try to install other
>> unwanted software. A lot of freeware is like this. Do a custom install
>> or read the screens carefully so you don't get stuck installing more
>> than just the program you intended to install.
>>
>> I have used LockHunter in the past and it was mostly good unless I
>> needed it to delete a file on Windows bootup. Instead of using the
>> registry key, or in addition to it, it wanted to write to some .ini file
>> under my %appdata% path but kept failing so I couldn't delete the file
>> on a reboot. Unlocker works just as well and better for the delete on
>> reboot function.

> Well, i am not trying to delete a file, and when i do, there is NO
> problem.
> Maybe the Unlocker or LockHunter will show the locked files and allow
> me to JUST remove the lock; better yet tell me which F-ing program is
> grabbing on to it (could be of great help).
> Thanks; will try on a HD copy.

As mentioned:
"right-click on it in Windows Explorer and select the Unlocker context
menu entry. It will show you which processes have a handle on that
file."

Unlocker will tell you what processes have a file locked. You might not
want to delete the file but you might want to find out what has a file
handle on it. There are lots of utilities to tell you which process has
a handle on a file. For example, SysInternals' 'handle' tool
(http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb896655.aspx) will
tell you which process has a handle on the specified file. Nirsoft has
their tool (http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/opened_files_view.html). There
are lots of these type of open-handle utilities.

Those are static tools. They show you which process currently has a
lock on a file. To see a log of locks on a file, especially if the file
isn't always locked but often enough to interfere with your management
of the file, then look at SysInternals' Process Monitor. You can define
a filter so it only shows log entries with the specified criteria, like
the filename. That's how, for example, I found 2 active anti-virus
programs were competing on a file that an application was updating.
Each time the app changed the file, the two active real-time scanner
would battle over the file and end up issuing over 3000 'open' commands
on the file to interrogate it. That's why, for example, it is
recommended to have more than one anti-malware program on your host for
overlapped coverage BUT only one of them should be active at a time
(only one should have its on-access or real-time scanner enabled).

So you can get the single-purpose utilities that show you which process
has a lock on a file or you can get Unlocker which will show you the
same info but with the added functionlity of letting your force a move,
rename, or delete of the file or just unlock it (Unlocker is, um, an
unlocker and not just a file deleter).

By the way, a load of rock salt won't penetrate the PC's case. Won't
damage the PC (well, might dent the case) but could assuage your anger.

Robert Baer

Paul wrote:
> [...]

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sasser_(computer_worm)
>
> *******
>
> For "cannot decrypt" you would need to see the security properties
> of the document. Acrobat has a properties page. In a search, I
> haven't found anything better yet.
>
> Documents can be protected at least three ways. With a
> password. With a security certificate. And with Adobe Livecycle
> (some kinda server for documents).
>
> http://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acr...ityMethods.pdf
>

> What's weird, is that a PDF (logically), you should
> alway be able to check the properties. It isn't very useful
> to pop up a dialog like that, unless the viewer tool
> can state what kind of security is in place. It's possible
> the reader is too older to state what the new security
> method is. I have yet to find a tool that can just
> list the document properties, without actually opening

Well, since the document does not load, it is impossible to see
"security" or any other properties.
I took another OS HD and used Adobe 9 on the offending documents.
Adobe 9 opened them,but on the op line (above anything else) there
was added text "(SECURED)" no quotes.
Since Adobe 9 on my original HD was severely interfering with Acrobat
4.0 read and PDF creation, i did not install it on my latest one-OS HD.
At least i can use GsView on this new drive to look at them; used
GsView to create a differently-named PDF which is perfect.

So, yes, your comment about "security" was spot on, and i now have a
useful work-around.

THANKS!

So, all i now need to do is keep a watch for locked PDFs.

Robert Baer

VanguardLH wrote:
> [...]

> Each time the app changed the file, the two active real-time scanner
> would battle over the file and end up issuing over 3000 'open' commands
> on the file to interrogate it. That's why, for example, it is
> recommended to have more than one anti-malware program on your host for
> overlapped coverage BUT only one of them should be active at a time
> (only one should have its on-access or real-time scanner enabled).
>
> So you can get the single-purpose utilities that show you which process
> has a lock on a file or you can get Unlocker which will show you the
> same info but with the added functionlity of letting your force a move,
> rename, or delete of the file or just unlock it (Unlocker is, um, an
> unlocker and not just a file deleter).
>
> By the way, a load of rock salt won't penetrate the PC's case. Won't
> damage the PC (well, might dent the case) but could assuage your anger.

As i mentioned before, PROCEXP.EXE does not work; it finds NO locked
files,even imediately after i determine that there are 1-5 locked PDFs.
Ditto with Handle
Unlock should be perfect, provided it FINDS them!
OpenedFilesView looks even better; it even shows what i have been
mumbling about - the internal HEX values assigned/used for the handles!

Thanks! Will try OFview first,when i next see this problem.

Pi number In C++ Please HELPPPP!!!!!!!!! FSMehmet C++ 10 02-18-2009 11:34 PM
cs1.Keyboard; HELPPPP CC Fanatic Java 0 09-14-2008 10:02 PM
Question about file handles and windows handles @ Windows Operating Systems eino Python 1 05-08-2007 09:14 PM
msn HELPPPP!!!!! Robin Halligan NZ Computing 7 04-24-2006 10:32 PM
What group handles database issues for .NET/C#? Larry Maturo ASP .Net 1 11-04-2005 09:14 PM

Advertisments