Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > UNIX shell tools

UNIX shell tools

Ulli Horlacher

I have written some UNIX shell tools which substitute or extend the
classical tools:

http://fex.rus.uni-stuttgart.de/fstools/

For example fpg is a grep which accepts perl regexp.
As a perl programmer, I am always confused which regexp syntax other
programs have. I want perl regexps everywhere

My own most used tools are:

l list files
clp command line perl
fpg perl grep
zz generic clipboard
xx generic internet clipboard

Maybe you are interested.

--
Ullrich Horlacher Informationssysteme und Serverbetrieb
Rechenzentrum IZUS/TIK E-Mail: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)-stuttgart.de

Dr.Ruud

On 2013-11-30 10:19, Ulli Horlacher wrote:

> I have written some UNIX shell tools which substitute or extend the
> classical tools:
>
> http://fex.rus.uni-stuttgart.de/fstools/
>
> For example fpg is a grep which accepts perl regexp.
> As a perl programmer, I am always confused which regexp syntax other
> programs have. I want perl regexps everywhere

Many greps support -P (for PCRE), but since 'ack' I hardly ever use grep
anymore.

For example, to find issues in a full code base:

ack -a '^\s*return [^!(]\S* or\b'

which with grep would (be slow and) look like:

grep -rP '^\s*return [^!(]\S* or\b' .

To install ack:

cpan App::Ack

http://beyondgrep.com/install/

For speed, I also use 'git grep' a lot.

git grep -P '^\s*return [^!(]\S* or\b'

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=%22git+grep%22

--
Ruud

Damien Wyart

* "Dr.Ruud" <(E-Mail Removed)> in comp.lang.perl.misc:
> Many greps support -P (for PCRE), but since 'ack' I hardly ever use
> grep anymore.

There is also ag, which is often noticeably faster than ack:
https://github.com/ggreer/the_silver_searcher

--
DW