Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > tbody

tbody

BootNic

In article <l72mv5$l5a$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Jukka K. Korpela" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> 2013-11-26 17:49, BootNic wrote:

>>> Certainly there is an issue of white space in lists, where list items
>>> are styled to be horizontal (as in many menus):

> [...]
>> Modern browsers could use word-spacing.

>> IE8 +

> Word-spacing is supported ever since IE 6.

I made no statement, nor did I intend to imply such a thing.

It would be more accurate to say partial support, yes? That would also
include IE 7-8, yes? All of which is irrelevant.

IE8 + was added out of habit, a habit that I can break in about two weeks,
when IE8 falls into the ancient browser category. The intent was to
indicate that the example could work in IE8 +.

> But it's a wrong tool for setting the spacing between the items
> of the list.

CSS property word-spacing is the wrong tool?

This is exactly what word-spacing is suppose to do. How in the world could
anyone make such a statement?

Is there issues with word-spacing? Lack of support? Bugs?

> Even if your items are "foo" and "bar", some day someone will add
> not only the item "supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" but also
> the item "foo bar zap".

What is the point here?

word-spacing is not applied to any word, it is applied to word-separator
charters.

http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-text/#word-separator

--
BootNic Tue Nov 26, 2013 08:22 pm
When I was young, I was put in a school for retarded kids for two years

BootNic

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> BootNic <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> [snip]

>>> Certainly there is an issue of white space in lists, where list items
>>> are styled to be horizontal (as in many menus):

>>> <http://dorayme.netweaver.com.au/lists/horizlist1.html>

>> [snip]

>> Modern browsers could use word-spacing.

>> IE8 +

>> The following set the word-spacing to -1em and uses margin-left on the
>> li + li to set the space between them.

>> http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-text/#word-spacing

>> .yankee {
>> display: block;
>> margin: 0;
>> padding: 0;
>> text-align: center;
>> word-spacing: -1em;
>> }

Silly me. I know better then to clean up my own snips without reading my
notes.

would you believe a webkit bug

..yankee {
display: table;
margin: 0;
padding: 0;
text-align: center;
word-spacing: -1em;
width: 100%;
}

http://bootnic.x10host.com/temp.html

[snip]

> Interesting, but it plays up with your word-spacing settings
> (independent of text size). In my Safari, for example, the e is cut
> off "Homepage", the s off Services etc. Setting it to 0.5em restores
> the end list item letters on my Safari at least. My FF seems fine
> enough with your setting.

Perhaps a screen shot? No access to ICab, and long time since I tried
browsershots, they no longer have ICab :^(

> Naturally, trusting this on a public site might be unwise, but
> interesting point!

What to do with all the time spent on listening to complaints then?

--
BootNic Tue Nov 26, 2013 08:52 pm
Wife who put husband in doghouse soon find him in cat house.

Jukka K. Korpela

2013-11-27 3:22, BootNic wrote:

>> Even if your items are "foo" and "bar", some day someone will add
>> not only the item "supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" but also
>> the item "foo bar zap".

> What is the point here?
>
> word-spacing is not applied to any word,
> it is applied to word-separator
> charters.

Don't you think there's a word-separator character (or two) in "foo bar
zap"?

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
BootNic <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > BootNic <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> >> dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> [snip]

> >> [snip]

> >> Modern browsers could use word-spacing.

> >> IE8 +

> >> The following set the word-spacing to -1em and uses margin-left on the
> >> li + li to set the space between them.

> >> http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-text/#word-spacing

> >> .yankee {
> >> display: block;
> >> margin: 0;
> >> padding: 0;
> >> text-align: center;
> >> word-spacing: -1em;
> >> }

> Silly me. I know better then to clean up my own snips without reading my
> notes.
>
> would you believe a webkit bug
>
> .yankee {
> display: table;
> margin: 0;
> padding: 0;
> text-align: center;
> word-spacing: -1em;
> width: 100%;
> }
>
> http://bootnic.x10host.com/temp.html
>
> [snip]
>
> > Interesting, but it plays up with your word-spacing settings
> > (independent of text size). In my Safari, for example, the e is cut
> > off "Homepage", the s off Services etc. Setting it to 0.5em restores
> > the end list item letters on my Safari at least. My FF seems fine
> > enough with your setting.

> Perhaps a screen shot? No access to ICab, and long time since I tried
> browsershots, they no longer have ICab :^(

Yes, icab (which is rarely used these days I am sure) also cut off the
end letters of the list items. But problem disappears with your
display: table; change.

A screenshot? OK, the lower browser is iCab, the other is Safari:

<http://dorayme.netweaver.com.au/just...enDotYankeeIsS
etToDisplayColonBlock.png>

--
dorayme

BootNic

In article <l73tdo$1ff$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Jukka K. Korpela" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> 2013-11-27 3:22, BootNic wrote:

>>> Even if your items are "foo" and "bar", some day someone will
>>> add not only the item "supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" but
>>> also the item "foo bar zap".

>> What is the point here?

>> word-spacing is not applied to any word, it is applied to
>> word-separator charters.

> Don't you think there's a word-separator character (or two) in
> "foo bar zap"?

How is the word-separator characters in "foo bar zap" relevant?

Specifically, in the example that was sniped, how would the word-separator
characters within the list items be relevant?

Once again, what is the point here?

--
BootNic Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:05 am
If you can learn from hard knocks, you can also learn from soft touches.

BootNic

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> BootNic <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

[snip]

>> Perhaps a screen shot? No access to ICab, and long time since I tried
>> browsershots, they no longer have ICab :^(

> Yes, icab (which is rarely used these days I am sure) also cut off the
> end letters of the list items. But problem disappears with your
> display: table; change.

> A screenshot? OK, the lower browser is iCab, the other is Safari:

> <http://dorayme.netweaver.com.au/justPics/webkitDisplayWhenDotYankeeIsSetToDisplayColonBlock .png>

Thank you.

The nearest I could come was Safari 5 for windows. Did not display as the
screen shot, it had the 1px space between the list items.

--
BootNic Wed Nov 27, 2013 01:31 pm
"I've noticed that the press tends to be quite accurate, except when

se

"Jukka K. Korpela" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelelsen
news:l72tk6$dg$(E-Mail Removed)...
> 2013-11-26 21:17, se wrote:
>
>> "BootNic" skrev i meddelelsen
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> What? (I do understand Swedish. But I do not understand an attribution
> without a quotation.)
>
>> It cab also be done with margins like this.

> What is this "it" you are talking about? The Subject line refers to
> word-spacing, which is just a wrong approach (to a problem that was not
> stated).

Say, have you found any attempt at an excuse for a simulation of
something that loos like an actual case where the use of <!DOCTYPE html>
vs. a legacy doctype would matter the least to JavaScript?
--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

What is "loos like" as seen in one of your answer given on
comp.lang.javascript.
You're a really Thomas Land PointedEar type. And sweep your own
doorsteps before abusing others.
/se

thead & tbody width rukkie HTML 1 12-08-2006 11:59 AM
<TBODY>, IE, and page-break matt@mailinator.com HTML 16 09-20-2006 11:58 PM
<tbody> etc JohnW HTML 5 08-26-2005 03:48 AM
<TBODY> JohnWMpls HTML 14 08-03-2005 06:48 AM
"tbody" tag Terry HTML 28 07-31-2005 07:23 PM

Advertisments