Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Re: container moved down by a menu

Re: container moved down by a menu

Tim Streater

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Bob H
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I used a 1 column with elastic header and footer template from
> Dreamweaver CS4 for another webpage, then added the menu I put on the
> front page.
>
> The template on its own was hard up to the top of the page when
> published, then I added the menu and the whole container has moved down
> the page by about 20px's.
>
> http://www.bob2cat.org.uk/GarysBeds/SleighBedColl.html

Yes, fixing the overlapping fixes your page, although I haven't looked
into exactly why. You have this:

<!--

some css declarations here

<!--

some more css declarations here

-->

-->

You need to change it to:

<!--

some css declarations here

some more css declarations here

-->

Is there any point to these <!-- --> things which IIRC are comment
delimiters of some sort? Personally I never use them. They have screwed
you over in this instance.

--
Tim

Jonathan N. Little

Tim Streater wrote:

> You need to change it to:

> <!--
>
> some css declarations here
>
> some more css declarations here
>
> -->
>

> Is there any point to these <!-- --> things which IIRC are comment
> delimiters of some sort? Personally I never use them. They have screwed
> you over in this instance.

Actually you need to REMOVE the " <!-- --> ". Those are HTML comment
delimiters, not CSS comment delimiters which are "/* */"

Anything between the opening STYLE tag and closing STYLE tag should
follow CSS syntax rules (also in external stylesheet files)

<!--
-->

and

<script type="text/javascript">
//<!--
//-->

garbage is just cargo cult practice which refers back to the dawn of WWW
with one very early version of Netscape. So just stop perpetuating it,
it is not necessary. If you are commenting in your stylesheet theb use
the proper comment delimiters:

/* It is actually EASY being green */
body { color: green; background: white; }

--
Take care,

Jonathan
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Re: container moved down by a menu Tim Streater HTML 0 11-13-2013 05:22 PM
start menu moved Moth Computer Support 6 08-10-2006 09:50 AM
YARV web site moved or down? David Lázaro Saz Ruby 3 11-07-2005 05:30 PM
STL: container's values setup by another container Maitre Bart C++ 2 02-11-2004 12:11 AM
std::container::iterator vs std::container::pointer Vivi Orunitia C++ 11 02-04-2004 08:09 AM

Advertisments