Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Re: Several Perl Questions - Nov. 5, 2013

Re: Several Perl Questions - Nov. 5, 2013

Charlton Wilbur

EDG> First, the actual code available as text code on one of my Web
EDG> sites was not intended to be efficient "Perl language" code.
EDG> Instead it was intended to tell other researchers around the
EDG> world how to do certain types of calculations. And it was
EDG> written using an extremely simple format so that the code could
EDG> be easily translated to other languages.

Well, then: you have decided that simplicity of expression is more
important than performance. The two are not always opposed, but the
belief that they are quickly becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

EDG> The professional programmer and I attempted to produce
EDG> versions of the program using a modern language. I managed the
EDG> project and the programmer did the actual work. And
EDG> unfortunately, in spite of his many years of experience he
EDG> could not understand the Fortran and Basic versions to the
EDG> point where he could translate them.

This sounds to me as if you and I have remarkably different standards
for "professional programmer."

Charlton

--
Charlton Wilbur