Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > two domains, one site

two domains, one site

Ben Bacarisse

Tim W <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
<snip>
> Yeah, i am sure it is just everyday and easy but it isn't working for
> me. Godaddy is the host of the spare domain so I logged in and found
> domain forwarding' and set it to point elsewhere but 24hrs later it
> still doesn't do anything.

If you provide the domain names, we (well, I and anyone else so
inclined) can have a look to see what's up.

--
Ben.

Tim W

On 13/11/2013 02:17, Ben Bacarisse wrote:
> Tim W <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> <snip>
>> Yeah, i am sure it is just everyday and easy but it isn't working for
>> me. Godaddy is the host of the spare domain so I logged in and found
>> domain forwarding' and set it to point elsewhere but 24hrs later it
>> still doesn't do anything.

> If you provide the domain names, we (well, I and anyone else so
> inclined) can have a look to see what's up.

Kind of you. the site I made several years ago is at
http://www.stickydate.info and the owner has obtained
www.stickydate.co.uk from godaddy and asked me to 'put a link on it or
something' but I don't know what you would be able to see.

Tim W

Tim W

On 13/11/2013 08:50, Tim W wrote:
> On 13/11/2013 02:17, Ben Bacarisse wrote:
>> Tim W <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>> <snip>
>>> Yeah, i am sure it is just everyday and easy but it isn't working for
>>> me. Godaddy is the host of the spare domain so I logged in and found
>>> domain forwarding' and set it to point elsewhere but 24hrs later it
>>> still doesn't do anything.

>> If you provide the domain names, we (well, I and anyone else so
>> inclined) can have a look to see what's up.
>>

> Kind of you. the site I made several years ago is at
> http://www.stickydate.info and the owner has obtained
> www.stickydate.co.uk from godaddy and asked me to 'put a link on it or
> something' but I don't know what you would be able to see.
>
> Tim W

Update is I have it working now. What an unholy mess is the godaddy
control panel? Saints preserve us!

Tim W

Ben Bacarisse

Tim W <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
<snip>
> Update is I have it working now. What an unholy mess is the godaddy
> control panel? Saints preserve us!

Yes, it works here too, but they've done it with a 302 redirect. Not
how I'd do it, but maybe I'm the odd one out. 302 is supposed to be for
temporary redirects.

--
Ben.

Tim W

On 13/11/2013 11:10, Ben Bacarisse wrote:
> Tim W <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> <snip>
>> Update is I have it working now. What an unholy mess is the godaddy
>> control panel? Saints preserve us!

> Yes, it works here too, but they've done it with a 302 redirect. Not
> how I'd do it, but maybe I'm the odd one out. 302 is supposed to be for
> temporary redirects.

That was me trying to force the Control Panel to save/update my settings
by changing something but then I couldn't change it back, LOL but I have
been able to now.

Ammammata

Il giorno Mon 11 Nov 2013 10:47:46a, *Tim W* inviava su alt.html il
messaggio news:l5q942$j3k$(E-Mail Removed). Vediamo cosa scrisse:

> how do I
> organise that and what is the terminology?

assuming your homepage is www.timw.com/index.htm, in site2 homepage (even
blank) put this line in the <head> :

URL=http://www.timw.info/index.htm">

1 means 1 second delay

--
/-\ /\/\ /\/\ /-\ /\/\ /\/\ /-\ T /-\
-=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- - -=-

............ [ al lavoro ] ...........

William Gill

On 11/12/2013 8:31 PM, Tim W wrote:
> On 12/11/2013 16:45, William Gill wrote:
>> On 11/11/2013 4:47 AM, Tim W wrote:
>>> If I have a website at say timw.com and I get a new domain, say
>>> timw.info and I want the same site to appear under both domains how do I
>>> organise that and what is the terminology?
>>>
>>> Pretty sure I don't want to duplicate the actual html files for plenty
>>> of reasons they should only be hosted once in one place. Is this
>>> 'pointing' that I need? something to do with dns thingies? redirects?
>>>
>>> Tim W

>> What you ask is a common requirement, and most if not all hosting
>> companies provide a way to do it. I have seen them call it different
>> names (i.e. parked domains vs add on domains), and know they implement
>> it differently, but that should be transparent to you. Look at your
>> hosting service documentation for the various "types of domains" they
>> support, one should say clearly it does what you want.
>>
>> Some of the suggestions here (i.e. redirect, rewrite, etc.) address some
>> of the mechanisms, but since I doubt you have your own server you don't
>> need to get that involved.
>>

> Yeah, i am sure it is just everyday and easy but it isn't working for
> me. Godaddy is the host of the spare domain so I logged in and found
> 'domain forwarding' and set it to point elsewhere but 24hrs later it
> still doesn't do anything.
>
> Tim w

I no longer have any GoDaddy accounts, so my access to their help is via
Google search, and fragmented, but I see something Godaddy calls an
alias domain. This is what you want to do used to be called, but the
terminology seems to have diverged. Look at their documentation for
Aliases (as opposed to secondary domains).
http://support.godaddy.com/help/arti...osting-account

I'm not sure forwarding is exactly what you want. If I recall
forwarding is for when two different hosts are involved, but may work
for you. It is how some hosts do it, even though they call it something
else, but not sure what/how GoDaddy does things. I know some hosts use
various forwarding mechanisms to add domains, but you should focus on
what their documentation says they can do, and not on how they do it.

William Gill

On 11/13/2013 6:55 AM, Tim W wrote:
> On 13/11/2013 11:10, Ben Bacarisse wrote:
>> Tim W <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>> <snip>
>>> Update is I have it working now. What an unholy mess is the godaddy
>>> control panel? Saints preserve us!

>> Yes, it works here too, but they've done it with a 302 redirect. Not
>> how I'd do it, but maybe I'm the odd one out. 302 is supposed to be for
>> temporary redirects.
>>

> That was me trying to force the Control Panel to save/update my settings
> by changing something but then I couldn't change it back, LOL but I have
> been able to now.

I suspect it's because you did it via redirect, which produce HTTP 3XX
status codes, like 300 Multiple Choices, 301 Moved Permanently, 302
Found (i.e. moved temporarily), etc.

I think aliased domains produce the same status codes as requests to the
original domain would produce (200 OK, 404 Not Found, etc)

Tim W

On 13/11/2013 14:35, Ammammata wrote:
> Il giorno Mon 11 Nov 2013 10:47:46a, *Tim W* inviava su alt.html il
> messaggio news:l5q942$j3k$(E-Mail Removed). Vediamo cosa scrisse:
>
>> how do I
>> organise that and what is the terminology?
>>

> assuming your homepage is www.timw.com/index.htm, in site2 homepage (even
> blank) put this line in the <head> :

> URL=http://www.timw.info/index.htm">
>
> 1 means 1 second delay

Thanks, a different method to the 301 redirect.

Tim W

William Gill

On 11/16/2013 5:46 AM, Tim W wrote:
> On 13/11/2013 14:35, Ammammata wrote:
>> Il giorno Mon 11 Nov 2013 10:47:46a, *Tim W* inviava su alt.html il
>> messaggio news:l5q942$j3k$(E-Mail Removed). Vediamo cosa scrisse:
>>
>>> how do I
>>> organise that and what is the terminology?
>>>

>> assuming your homepage is www.timw.com/index.htm, in site2 homepage (even
>> blank) put this line in the <head> :

>> URL=http://www.timw.info/index.htm">
>>
>> 1 means 1 second delay
>>

> Thanks, a different method to the 301 redirect.
>
> Tim W

If you have one site with two domain names (both names displaying the
same pages) and you are hosted on GoDaddy, what you want is called an
aliased domain. Look at the GoDaddy help/info for the how to, and stop
looking at all the various methods of redirecting or re-writing.
Aliased Domain is intended for the exact purpose you describe, and will
not send the browser confusing HTTP status codes.