Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > why so much cpu time by google chrome

why so much cpu time by google chrome

nospam

I was looking at this web page (R1 with google chome and found that
mouse wheel scrolling didn't work properly - it was so bad that I
opened up performance monitor and found that google chome uses 25% CPU
while showing this page. Internet explorer uses almost nothing.
What's the story?

http://fashion.telegraph.co.uk/colum...ign=FashionTDs

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs nospam wrote:
> I was looking at this web page (R1 with google chome and found that
> mouse wheel scrolling didn't work properly - it was so bad that I
> opened up performance monitor and found that google chome uses 25% CPU
> while showing this page. Internet explorer uses almost nothing.
> What's the story?
>
> http://fashion.telegraph.co.uk/colum...ign=FashionTDs

I have no idea why that's happening. I fired up Chrome, went to a random
site and checked WTM and it's using 0%. (Actually 2 x 0% as, for some reason
there are *two* entries for Chrome in Task Manager [XP Pro] - I don't know
what's causing that. When I close it down they both vanish.)

However when I copied that URL into it suddenly Chrome's using between (*2
x*) 28 and 40%! Could it be a perv tax? My mad skills aren't mad enough to
trace the reason, sorry. All I can do is confirm that I get the same thing.
--
/Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1).
[Sent from my OrbitalT ocular implant interface]

Me

On 11/11/2013 4:30 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
> Somewhere on teh intarwebs nospam wrote:
>> I was looking at this web page (R1 with google chome and found that
>> mouse wheel scrolling didn't work properly - it was so bad that I
>> opened up performance monitor and found that google chome uses 25% CPU
>> while showing this page. Internet explorer uses almost nothing.
>> What's the story?
>>
>> http://fashion.telegraph.co.uk/colum...ign=FashionTDs

> I have no idea why that's happening. I fired up Chrome, went to a random
> site and checked WTM and it's using 0%. (Actually 2 x 0% as, for some reason
> there are *two* entries for Chrome in Task Manager [XP Pro] - I don't know
> what's causing that. When I close it down they both vanish.)
>
> However when I copied that URL into it suddenly Chrome's using between (*2
> x*) 28 and 40%! Could it be a perv tax? My mad skills aren't mad enough to
> trace the reason, sorry. All I can do is confirm that I get the same thing.

Chrome runs a separate process for each open window/tab - reason being
that if one tab crashes, it doesn't take the rest down with it. So each
tab shows up separately in task manager. Chrome has it's own task
manager built in - press shift|Esc key to enable it.
That page uses 12% cpu on my laptop (Core i7) Disable javascript, and
it drops to the usual close to 0% - and you lose the "live updating
comments" at the bottom of the page. Chrome uses a sand-boxed
javascript rendering engine. Code on that page doesn't seem to agree
with it, so moot point whether the page should be optimised for chrome,
or vice-versa. It might be to do with plugins - I haven't checked.

Don't know why the OP thinks that page is "R18". You see worse (or
better) on primetime TV.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Me wrote:
> On 11/11/2013 4:30 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs nospam wrote:
>>> I was looking at this web page (R1 with google chome and found
>>> that mouse wheel scrolling didn't work properly - it was so bad
>>> that I opened up performance monitor and found that google chome
>>> uses 25% CPU while showing this page. Internet explorer uses
>>> almost nothing. What's the story?
>>>
>>> http://fashion.telegraph.co.uk/colum...ign=FashionTDs

>> I have no idea why that's happening. I fired up Chrome, went to a
>> random site and checked WTM and it's using 0%. (Actually 2 x 0% as,
>> for some reason there are *two* entries for Chrome in Task Manager
>> [XP Pro] - I don't know what's causing that. When I close it down
>> they both vanish.) However when I copied that URL into it suddenly
>> Chrome's using
>> between (*2 x*) 28 and 40%! Could it be a perv tax? My mad skills
>> aren't mad enough to trace the reason, sorry. All I can do is
>> confirm that I get the same thing.

> Chrome runs a separate process for each open window/tab - reason being
> that if one tab crashes, it doesn't take the rest down with it. So
> each tab shows up separately in task manager.

Ok. Thing is I only had one tab open. ???

> Chrome has it's own
> task manager built in - press shift|Esc key to enable it.
> That page uses 12% cpu on my laptop (Core i7) Disable javascript, and
> it drops to the usual close to 0% - and you lose the "live updating
> comments" at the bottom of the page. Chrome uses a sand-boxed
> javascript rendering engine. Code on that page doesn't seem to agree
> with it, so moot point whether the page should be optimised for
> chrome, or vice-versa. It might be to do with plugins - I haven't
> checked.

I had a feeling it might be a javascript issue.

> Don't know why the OP thinks that page is "R18". You see worse (or
> better) on primetime TV.

Really? I haven't watched TV for years.

Cheers,