Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Vodafone NZ sux (yet again!)

Vodafone NZ sux (yet again!)

Your Name

They *finally* fixed the months of on-going problems trying to log on
via a dial-up connection, and now it looks like their stupid
"invisible" poxy proxy server is playing up yet again. There are huge
issues trying to connect to various websites, most of which pause and
time out when trying to connect to Google for api's etc.

Email is fine, newsgroups are fine, I've tried another computer and
even taking the laptop to someone else's house ... so it's definitely a
Vodafone NZ problem.

Do these guys even know how to or care about running an actual Internet
*SERVICE* Provider?? X-(

Enkidu

On 10/11/13 15:55, Your Name wrote:

> They *finally* fixed the months of on-going problems trying to log on
> via a dial-up connection, and now it looks like their stupid
> "invisible" poxy proxy server is playing up yet again. There are huge
> issues trying to connect to various websites, most of which pause and
> time out when trying to connect to Google for api's etc.
>
> Email is fine, newsgroups are fine, I've tried another computer and
> even taking the laptop to someone else's house ... so it's definitely a
> Vodafone NZ problem.
>
> Do these guys even know how to or care about running an actual Internet
> *SERVICE* Provider?? X-(

What is "dial-up"?

Cheers,

Cliff

Your Name

In article <527ef80c$(E-Mail Removed)>, Enkidu
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On 10/11/13 15:55, Your Name wrote:
> >
> > They *finally* fixed the months of on-going problems trying to log on
> > via a dial-up connection, and now it looks like their stupid
> > "invisible" poxy proxy server is playing up yet again. There are huge
> > issues trying to connect to various websites, most of which pause and
> > time out when trying to connect to Google for api's etc.
> >
> > Email is fine, newsgroups are fine, I've tried another computer and
> > even taking the laptop to someone else's house ... so it's definitely a
> > Vodafone NZ problem.
> >
> > Do these guys even know how to or care about running an actual Internet
> > *SERVICE* Provider?? X-(

> What is "dial-up"?

Yep, that pretty much sums up Vodafone NZ's attitude as well. They also
have no idea what an Apple Mac is either

Enkidu

On 10/11/13 16:25, Your Name wrote:
> In article <527ef80c$(E-Mail Removed)>, Enkidu
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On 10/11/13 15:55, Your Name wrote:
>>>
>>> They *finally* fixed the months of on-going problems trying to log on
>>> via a dial-up connection, and now it looks like their stupid
>>> "invisible" poxy proxy server is playing up yet again. There are huge
>>> issues trying to connect to various websites, most of which pause and
>>> time out when trying to connect to Google for api's etc.
>>>
>>> Email is fine, newsgroups are fine, I've tried another computer and
>>> even taking the laptop to someone else's house ... so it's definitely a
>>> Vodafone NZ problem.
>>>
>>> Do these guys even know how to or care about running an actual Internet
>>> *SERVICE* Provider?? X-(

>> What is "dial-up"?

> Yep, that pretty much sums up Vodafone NZ's attitude as well. They also
> have no idea what an Apple Mac is either

There are only 100 people in the country who are still on dialup and
they are mostly in Te Kuiti.

Cheers,

Cliff

JohnO

On Sunday, 10 November 2013 15:55:08 UTC+13, Your Name wrote:
> They *finally* fixed the months of on-going problems trying to log on
> via a dial-up connection, and now it looks like their stupid
> "invisible" poxy proxy server is playing up yet again. There are huge
> issues trying to connect to various websites, most of which pause and
> time out when trying to connect to Google for api's etc.
>
> Email is fine, newsgroups are fine, I've tried another computer and
> even taking the laptop to someone else's house ... so it's definitely a
> Vodafone NZ problem.
>
> Do these guys even know how to or care about running an actual Internet
> *SERVICE* Provider?? X-(

Why are you still on dial-up?

Your Name

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
JohnO <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Sunday, 10 November 2013 15:55:08 UTC+13, Your Name wrote:
> > They *finally* fixed the months of on-going problems trying to log on
> > via a dial-up connection, and now it looks like their stupid
> > "invisible" poxy proxy server is playing up yet again. There are huge
> > issues trying to connect to various websites, most of which pause and
> > time out when trying to connect to Google for api's etc.
> >
> > Email is fine, newsgroups are fine, I've tried another computer and
> > even taking the laptop to someone else's house ... so it's definitely a
> > Vodafone NZ problem.
> >
> > Do these guys even know how to or care about running an actual Internet
> > *SERVICE* Provider?? X-(

> Why are you still on dial-up?

Mostly because even at Vodafone's over-inflated price, dial-up is
one-quarter the price of broadband / fibre. I also don't want my
landline and internet through the same company, and all the broadband /
fibre plans (or at least all those advertised) insist on bundling the
two together.

Depending on which statistics you want to believe, 7%-10% of the
country is still using dial-up.

Ralph Fox

On Mon, 11 Nov 2013 21:02:30 +1300, geoff wrote:

> What is dial-up ?

Dial-up is defined by having to "dial up" or connect to one's Internet
provider. Like for example my 7.2Mb/s MBB dial-up connection (which
has an internal number of *99# to "dial" and open an Internet session
via my Internet provider's SGSN/GGSN). "Dial-up" is the opposite of
having an Internet connection which is intrinsically permanently on.

Back in the BBS days of the 1980s, dial-up was usually (a) at speeds
of 300b/s, 1200b/s or 2400b/s, and (b) over fixed-line copper wire.
Thanks to technological advances, dial-up is (a) no longer limited to
these speeds, and (b) can run over radio networks.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

JohnO

On Monday, 11 November 2013 19:26:47 UTC+13, Your Name wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>
> JohnO <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

<snip>

> > Why are you still on dial-up?

> Mostly because even at Vodafone's over-inflated price, dial-up is
> one-quarter the price of broadband / fibre. I also don't want my
> landline and internet through the same company, and all the broadband /
> fibre plans (or at least all those advertised) insist on bundling the
> two together.
>
> Depending on which statistics you want to believe, 7%-10% of the
> country is still using dial-up.

The trouble is, very few web pages nowadays are designed to cater to dial-up speeds. They're generally assuming you are on broadband and not designing pages that can be easily viewed in text only.

I think the cheapest option for phone and broadband now are the budget prepaid cellular plans. $16 a month should get you a light volume phone and internet.

Your Name

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
JohnO <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Monday, 11 November 2013 19:26:47 UTC+13, Your Name wrote:
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> >
> > JohnO <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >

> <snip>
> >
> > > Why are you still on dial-up?

> > Mostly because even at Vodafone's over-inflated price, dial-up is
> > one-quarter the price of broadband / fibre. I also don't want my
> > landline and internet through the same company, and all the broadband /
> > fibre plans (or at least all those advertised) insist on bundling the
> > two together.
> >
> > Depending on which statistics you want to believe, 7%-10% of the
> > country is still using dial-up.

> The trouble is, very few web pages nowadays are designed to cater to dial-up
> speeds. They're generally assuming you are on broadband and not designing
> pages that can be easily viewed in text only.

When it's working properly dial-up is fine for all the websites I use
(I really can't be bothered watching nonsense like YouTube on my
computer). In fact, the only few problems I have, other than hopeless
Vodafone, are due to my computers OS being about 10 years old and not
being able to use newer versions of Flash / Java.

> I think the cheapest option for phone and broadband now are the budget
> prepaid cellular plans. $16 a month should get you a light volume phone and internet.

That would be mobile internet, not landline internet. The idiotic data
caps are even much smaller than the landline ones, plus the signal
hassles.

All I need is for Vodafone to actually learn how to run an Internet
Service Provider, or sell the business to someone who wants to run one.

JohnO

On Tuesday, 12 November 2013 09:51:10 UTC+13, Your Name wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,

<snip>

> > I think the cheapest option for phone and broadband now are the budget
> > prepaid cellular plans. $16 a month should get you a light volume phoneand internet.

> That would be mobile internet, not landline internet.

So why not use mobile internet instead? Ditch the landline/dial up and savesome money.

> The idiotic data

> caps are even much smaller than the landline ones, plus the signal

As you are now on dial-up, your data usage will be so tiny that even the mobile data caps won't be an issue. But even if you up-size data to say around 1.5Gb a month (there is zero chance you will get near that) you are stillgetting voice, txt and broadband on your cellular device for much less than the cost of a landline alone.

What does a home phone plus dial-up cost - $50 a month? For that you can get a cellular plan with 1.5Gb data, unlimited SMS and around 4 hours talk time. And you get broadband speed data, and you can hotspot your phone so youcan use it from any device wirelessly. and you can use it anywhere, not just at home.

What is the landline advantage? Other than coverage (not an issue for me) All I can think of is that others can call you locally without charge?

> hassles.

Depends where you live, but most places don't have coverage issues now, although I couldn't comment on the Vodafone/2degrees coverage. It's rare to find a home that can't see one network or another. Coverage issues outside ofhome are irrelevant in this conversation - your home internet doesn't havecoverage when you are not at home either!

> All I need is for Vodafone to actually learn how to run an Internet
> Service Provider, or sell the business to someone who wants to run one.

Trouble is., nobody is interested in the dial up business anymore. There's no money in it, the few customers still on it are dwindling away so there'sno chance anyone would buy it. They couldn't give it away.

ihug / Vodafone "sux" x-( Your Name NZ Computing 3 11-26-2008 04:45 AM
Ihug/Vodafone up to their old tricks again? None NZ Computing 1 09-10-2008 10:53 AM
Xtra sux ...again newzz NZ Computing 1 11-13-2004 03:04 AM
Re: page to show that IE sux David Dorward HTML 23 05-16-2004 11:36 PM
page to show that IE sux Rafal 'Raf256' Maj HTML 16 05-16-2004 03:15 AM

Advertisments