Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Laptop hard drive replacement

Laptop hard drive replacement

John

Friend has an HP Compaq laptop with a hard drive that has started to pack
up. The drive is a ST9320423AS Momentus 7200 Sata 320GB and is 9.5 mm
thick.

I've searched for the drive in NZ and can find drives that seem to be the
same specs, apart from the thickness of the drive, 7mm rather than 9.5mm of
the old drive (see link below).

http://www.einfo.co.nz/shop/seagate-...d-p-28847.html

My question is; will the thinner drive be okay to replace the old drive
with? If not, what is my best option?

Dave Doe

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed), John says...

> Friend has an HP Compaq laptop with a hard drive that has started to pack
> up. The drive is a ST9320423AS Momentus 7200 Sata 320GB and is 9.5 mm
> thick.
>
> I've searched for the drive in NZ and can find drives that seem to be the
> same specs, apart from the thickness of the drive, 7mm rather than 9.5mm of
> the old drive (see link below).
>
> http://www.einfo.co.nz/shop/seagate-...d-p-28847.html
>
> My question is; will the thinner drive be okay to replace the old drive
> with? If not, what is my best option?

I'd just get a different drive - ie. a 9.5mm drive. Most 2.5" drives
are 9.5mm - sorta the standard I guess. Not many 7mm drives, most are
9.5mm.

So just get another drive (you don't have to use a Seagage Momentus
drive).

For around the same price, you should be able to get a WD 500GB 7200rpm
drive (and not 5400rpm).

--
Duncan.

Frank Williams

On Mon, 28 Oct 2013 23:15:56 +1300, Dave Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>(E-Mail Removed), John says...
>>
>> Friend has an HP Compaq laptop with a hard drive that has started to pack
>> up. The drive is a ST9320423AS Momentus 7200 Sata 320GB and is 9.5 mm
>> thick.
>>
>> I've searched for the drive in NZ and can find drives that seem to be the
>> same specs, apart from the thickness of the drive, 7mm rather than 9.5mm of
>> the old drive (see link below).
>>
>> http://www.einfo.co.nz/shop/seagate-...d-p-28847.html
>>
>> My question is; will the thinner drive be okay to replace the old drive
>> with? If not, what is my best option?

>I'd just get a different drive - ie. a 9.5mm drive. Most 2.5" drives
>are 9.5mm - sorta the standard I guess. Not many 7mm drives, most are
>9.5mm.
>
>So just get another drive (you don't have to use a Seagage Momentus
>drive).
>
>For around the same price, you should be able to get a WD 500GB 7200rpm
>drive (and not 5400rpm).

And what about the extra Power & Heat.??

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs EMB wrote:
> On 28/10/2013 7:27 p.m., John wrote:
>> Friend has an HP Compaq laptop with a hard drive that has started to
>> pack up. The drive is a ST9320423AS Momentus 7200 Sata 320GB and is
>> 9.5 mm thick.
>>
>> I've searched for the drive in NZ and can find drives that seem to
>> be the same specs, apart from the thickness of the drive, 7mm rather
>> than 9.5mm of the old drive (see link below).
>>
>> http://www.einfo.co.nz/shop/seagate-...d-p-28847.html
>>
>> My question is; will the thinner drive be okay to replace the old
>> drive with? If not, what is my best option?
>>

> It'll be just fine. And I'd look at one of the SATA/SSD hybrid drives
> for the performance boost they offer. Something like this:
>
> http://pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=HDDSE5705

Gosh but for a page that has a 'specifications' tab it's a bit of a joke!

That's the Seagate Gen 3 SSHD - a respectable and excellent choice for a
laptop. It has 8GB of MLC NAND and runs at 5,400rpm.

I bought at just the right time and got one of the last Gen 2 models; 750GB,
8GB *S*LC NAND and platters spinning at 7,200rpm (with an assurance from
Seagate that, if and when better SSHD algorithms are developed they'll be
made available for download for the G2 SSHD).

I must say that it's more than halved the boot time of my T60 and made it
considerably more responsive - opening programmes in less than half the time
the WD Black that it replaced took.

http://www.storagereview.com/seagate...0gb_st500lm000

Cheers,
--
/Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1).
[Sent from my OrbitalT ocular implant interface]

John

On Mon, 28 Oct 2013 20:13:38 +1300, EMB wrote:

> On 28/10/2013 7:27 p.m., John wrote:
>> Friend has an HP Compaq laptop with a hard drive that has started to pack
>> up. The drive is a ST9320423AS Momentus 7200 Sata 320GB and is 9.5 mm
>> thick.
>>
>> I've searched for the drive in NZ and can find drives that seem to be the
>> same specs, apart from the thickness of the drive, 7mm rather than 9.5mm of
>> the old drive (see link below).
>>
>> http://www.einfo.co.nz/shop/seagate-...d-p-28847.html
>>
>> My question is; will the thinner drive be okay to replace the old drive
>> with? If not, what is my best option?
>>

> It'll be just fine. And I'd look at one of the SATA/SSD hybrid drives
> for the performance boost they offer. Something like this:
>
> http://pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=HDDSE5705

Thank you, much appreciated.

John

On Mon, 28 Oct 2013 23:15:56 +1300, Dave Doe wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed), John says...
>>
>> Friend has an HP Compaq laptop with a hard drive that has started to pack
>> up. The drive is a ST9320423AS Momentus 7200 Sata 320GB and is 9.5 mm
>> thick.
>>
>> I've searched for the drive in NZ and can find drives that seem to be the
>> same specs, apart from the thickness of the drive, 7mm rather than 9.5mm of
>> the old drive (see link below).
>>
>> http://www.einfo.co.nz/shop/seagate-...d-p-28847.html
>>
>> My question is; will the thinner drive be okay to replace the old drive
>> with? If not, what is my best option?

> I'd just get a different drive - ie. a 9.5mm drive. Most 2.5" drives
> are 9.5mm - sorta the standard I guess. Not many 7mm drives, most are
> 9.5mm.
>
> So just get another drive (you don't have to use a Seagage Momentus
> drive).
>
> For around the same price, you should be able to get a WD 500GB 7200rpm
> drive (and not 5400rpm).

Thank you, much appreciated.