Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Problem: Request time out

Problem: Request time out

Ammar

Dear All,
I'm facing a small problem.
I have a portal web site, that contains articles, for each article, the end
user can send a comment about the article.
The problem is:
I the comment length is more that 1249 bytes, then the progress bar of the
browser will move too slow and then displaying that the page not found!!!!

If the message is less than or equal to 1249 then no problem.

Juan T. Llibre

Ammar,

how are you storing the comment ?
Please post the code you use to store the comment.

Juan T. Llibre
ASP.NET MVP
http://asp.net.do/foros/
Foros de ASP.NET en Espaņol
=====================

"Ammar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23vOpY%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dear All,
> I'm facing a small problem.
> I have a portal web site, that contains articles, for each article, the
> end user can send a comment about the article.
> The problem is:
> I the comment length is more that 1249 bytes, then the progress bar of the
> browser will move too slow and then displaying that the page not found!!!!
>
> If the message is less than or equal to 1249 then no problem.

Ammar

Hello Juan,

The problem not in the code.

The logfile of the web server contains Protocol-Status 400,

Now I have a computer that contains a static IP that is listed in the IP
Pool of ISP firewall, and that computer is working without any problem.

Do you think that installing SP1 of the framework V 1.1 will solve the
problem.
I think that it is a configuration problem.

Thanks a lote.

Regards,

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ammar,
>
> how are you storing the comment ?
> Please post the code you use to store the comment.
>

> Juan T. Llibre
> ASP.NET MVP
> http://asp.net.do/foros/
> Foros de ASP.NET en Espaņol
> =====================
>
> "Ammar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%23vOpY%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Dear All,
>> I'm facing a small problem.
>> I have a portal web site, that contains articles, for each article, the
>> end user can send a comment about the article.
>> The problem is:
>> I the comment length is more that 1249 bytes, then the progress bar of
>> the browser will move too slow and then displaying that the page not
>> found!!!!
>>
>> If the message is less than or equal to 1249 then no problem.

Juan T. Llibre

Ammar,

to repeat your statements :

> If the comment length is more that 1249 bytes, then displaying that the
> page not found!!!!

>> If the message is less than or equal to 1249 then no problem.

If it is "a configuration problem", as you say,
why does it work for messages less than 1249 bytes ?

Shouldn't it, in that case, *never* work ?

RFC 2616 says that 400 Bad Request means that
"the request could not be understood by the server
due to malformed syntax".

Are you modifying the headers ?
Or adding too many characters to the querystring ?

Please post the coding methods you use to store/retrieve
the comments if you want me to be able to try to help you.

I cannot help you by remote osmosis.

Juan T. Llibre
ASP.NET MVP
http://asp.net.do/foros/
Foros de ASP.NET en Espaņol
=====================

"Ammar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello Juan,
>
> The problem not in the code.
>
> The logfile of the web server contains Protocol-Status 400,
>
> Now I have a computer that contains a static IP that is listed in the IP
> Pool of ISP firewall, and that computer is working without any problem.
>
> Do you think that installing SP1 of the framework V 1.1 will solve the
> problem.
> I think that it is a configuration problem.
>
> Thanks a lote.
>
> Regards,
>
> "Juan T. Llibre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Ammar,
>>
>> how are you storing the comment ?
>> Please post the code you use to store the comment.
>>

>> Juan T. Llibre
>> ASP.NET MVP
>> http://asp.net.do/foros/
>> Foros de ASP.NET en Espaņol
>> =====================
>>
>> "Ammar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%23vOpY%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Dear All,
>>> I'm facing a small problem.
>>> I have a portal web site, that contains articles, for each article, the
>>> end user can send a comment about the article.
>>> The problem is:
>>> I the comment length is more that 1249 bytes, then the progress bar of
>>> the browser will move too slow and then displaying that the page not
>>> found!!!!
>>>
>>> If the message is less than or equal to 1249 then no problem.

Ammar

I'd like 1st of all to thank you.
The code is:

Private Sub sendComment_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As
System.Web.UI.ImageClickEventArgs) Handles sendComment.Click
If PostName.Value.Length = 0 OrElse PostBody.Value.Length = 0 OrElse
PostTitle.Value.Length = 0 Then
Response.Redirect("/FeedBack.aspx?Page=AddComment&Status=incorrect")
Exit Sub
End If
Dim ds As DataSet
Dim Articleid As Int64
ds = DataCon.GetDataset("Select * from articles where ArticleID=" +
CleanRequest(Request.QueryString("v")).ToString + "")
Articleid = CInt(ds.Tables(0).Rows(0)("ArticleID"))
ds = Nothing
If AddArticlePost(Articleid, stripTag(PostBody.Value),
stripTag(PostTitle.Value), stripTag(PostName.Value)) Then
LogArticlePropertiy(Articleid, , , 1)
Response.Redirect("/FeedBack.aspx?Page=AddComment&Status=correct")
End If
End Sub

1st IF statment check if the length of the 3 fields are not equal to zero
DataCon is a public class that handels all DB functions.
GetDataSet is a method that accepts a SQL St. and return a dataset [in this
case we need the article id]
AddArticlePost is the method that will insert into the database a new record
that represents the comment.

Now in case that AddArticlePost run without a problem then we will Call
another method to increase number of comments that hase been posted of this
article, then we will redirect the end user to a feedback page.

The problem is that the code is running from only one comuter that its IP is
listed in the IP Pool of the Firewall of the ISP,
and also the code is running from any computer in case that the comment body
is less than 1250 bytes.
and the code was working without any problem just 5 days ago.

Best regards,

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ammar,
>
> to repeat your statements :
>
>> If the comment length is more that 1249 bytes, then displaying that the
>> page not found!!!!

>>> If the message is less than or equal to 1249 then no problem.

> If it is "a configuration problem", as you say,
> why does it work for messages less than 1249 bytes ?
>
> Shouldn't it, in that case, *never* work ?
>
> RFC 2616 says that 400 Bad Request means that
> "the request could not be understood by the server
> due to malformed syntax".
>
> Are you modifying the headers ?
> Or adding too many characters to the querystring ?
>
> Please post the coding methods you use to store/retrieve
> the comments if you want me to be able to try to help you.
>
> I cannot help you by remote osmosis.
>

> Juan T. Llibre
> ASP.NET MVP
> http://asp.net.do/foros/
> Foros de ASP.NET en Espaņol
> =====================
>
> "Ammar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hello Juan,
>>
>> The problem not in the code.
>>
>> The logfile of the web server contains Protocol-Status 400,
>>
>> Now I have a computer that contains a static IP that is listed in the IP
>> Pool of ISP firewall, and that computer is working without any problem.
>>
>> Do you think that installing SP1 of the framework V 1.1 will solve the
>> problem.
>> I think that it is a configuration problem.
>>
>> Thanks a lote.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> "Juan T. Llibre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Ammar,
>>>
>>> how are you storing the comment ?
>>> Please post the code you use to store the comment.
>>>

>>> Juan T. Llibre
>>> ASP.NET MVP
>>> http://asp.net.do/foros/
>>> Foros de ASP.NET en Espaņol
>>> =====================
>>>
>>> "Ammar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:%23vOpY%(E-Mail Removed)...

Juan T. Llibre

re:
> I'd like 1st of all to thank you.

No problem. I enjoy doing this...

OK...

I'm assuming that this is a typo in the post,
but not a typo in your code :
LogArticlePropertiy(Articleid, , , 1)

That is really "LogArticleProperty(Articleid, , , 1)", right ?

Then,

1. Is the problem limited to the *display* of the comments ?
Or do the comments get inserted in the db ?

If the comments do not get inserted in the db, then

2. Check your comments field size in the db
Make sure it's set to more than 1249 bytes.

3. In FeedBack.aspx, what is the
"Page=AddComment" parameter good for ?

4. Could you post the relevant code ( not all )
for FeedBack.aspx ?

Juan T. Llibre
ASP.NET MVP
http://asp.net.do/foros/
Foros de ASP.NET en Espaņol
=====================

"Ammar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Oeh%(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]

>> I cannot help you by remote osmosis.
>>

>> Juan T. Llibre
>> ASP.NET MVP
>> http://asp.net.do/foros/
>> Foros de ASP.NET en Espaņol
>> =====================
>>
>> "Ammar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hello Juan,
>>>
>>> The problem not in the code.
>>>
>>> The logfile of the web server contains Protocol-Status 400,
>>>
>>> Now I have a computer that contains a static IP that is listed in the IP
>>> Pool of ISP firewall, and that computer is working without any problem.
>>>
>>> Do you think that installing SP1 of the framework V 1.1 will solve the
>>> problem.
>>> I think that it is a configuration problem.
>>>
>>> Thanks a lote.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> "Juan T. Llibre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

Thanks a lote Juan,
LogArticlePropertiy is very simple method that will connect to the database
and increase the number that represents number of comments that belong to
that article.

Now this function is working without any problem.

In case that the comment is passed, then we will redirect the end user to a
feed back page.

The feed back page is too simple. It Acceps URL Parameters [For example
Page, Status] Couse the feedback is a general Page for feeding back the end
user.
So when the Page=AddComment and the Status is Correct, then the page will
display only that the comment hase been recived and thank the end user.

Dear Juan... The code of the Feedback is:
System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
Select Case Request.QueryString("Page")
Case "AddComment"
If Request.QueryString("Status") = "correct" Then
FeedBackString.Text = "thank you message"
ElseIf Request.QueryString("Status") = "incorrect" Then
FeedBackString.Text = "an error message"
End If
Case "ContactUs"
If Request.QueryString("Status") = "correct" Then
FeedBackString.Text = "thank you message"
ElseIf Request.QueryString("Status") = "incorrect" Then
FeedBackString.Text = "an error message"
End If
'TODO Feed the end user about the status of adding his or
here email
End Select
End Sub

You can see that the code is too simple.

Now about the size of the field that represents the body of the comment: it
is of type ntext. So no problem about the size.
Also in case that the comment is too big then the browser's after 10 min.
will respond and telling that the server not found!!!!!

FYI. nothing in that case will be writen to the databse>

Now the question is: why evry things was running without any problem [5 days
ago] and now I am facing this problem.?

I have checked the host computer [web server], the web.config, IIS, the
logfile, and evry things, and I did not see any change.

Maybe it is a firewall problem. or a router problem. I don not know

It is a post method problem, not a get method problem.

You know where is the problem? [The problem is that I am only a web
developer but I am not a web Administrator].(:

Thank you.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...