Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Mail -> Trash

Mail -> Trash

Gib Bogle

I finally relented and upgraded Mozilla Thunderbird to 24.0.1. The only
change I notice is that now all my incoming mail goes to the Trash
folder. This is approximately correct, but there is occasionally
something I'd like to read. Looking online I see stuff about filters.
The only filter I have on Inbox is "Chinese spam" which looks for "helo"
in Received-SPF (I can't recall when or why I created that).

Has anyone else seen this problem?

Ralph Fox

On Thu, 24 Oct 2013 09:03:31 +1300, Gib Bogle wrote:

> I finally relented and upgraded Mozilla Thunderbird to 24.0.1. The only
> change I notice is that now all my incoming mail goes to the Trash
> folder.

Just to confirm -- that is the Trash folder, and not the Junk mail folder?

> This is approximately correct, but there is occasionally
> something I'd like to read. Looking online I see stuff about filters.
> The only filter I have on Inbox is "Chinese spam" which looks for "helo"
> in Received-SPF (I can't recall when or why I created that).

No other filters at email account level?
See "Tools >> Message Filters" and set the "Filters for:" drop-down to
the email account, not the folder.

Thunderbird also has an adaptive junk filter, which you won't find at
"Tools >> Message Filters". See
<https://support.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/kb/thunderbird-and-junk-spam-messages>,
including the part "Tell Thunderbird what is NOT junk" near the bottom.

> Has anyone else seen this problem?

I'm not seeing it with my email. But then again I use IMAP not POP, and
Thunderbird ESR for email.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Gib Bogle

On 25/10/2013 7:19 a.m., EMB wrote:
> On 24/10/2013 9:03 a.m., Gib Bogle wrote:
>> I finally relented and upgraded Mozilla Thunderbird to 24.0.1. The only
>> change I notice is that now all my incoming mail goes to the Trash
>> folder. This is approximately correct, but there is occasionally
>> something I'd like to read. Looking online I see stuff about filters.
>> The only filter I have on Inbox is "Chinese spam" which looks for "helo"
>> in Received-SPF (I can't recall when or why I created that).
>>
>> Has anyone else seen this problem?

> I haven't seen that problem, but it'll be your filter causing the issue
> - 'helo' in the Received-SPF field is expected for mail regardless of
> its legitimacy.

Really? The bizarre thing is that the problem just started with the
upgrade, but I can't even remember creating that filter - it was
obviously a long time ago. Anyway I disabled the filter and now the
mail gets delivered.

Peter Huebner

In article <l4efhj$tr1$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
says...

> On 25/10/2013 7:19 a.m., EMB wrote:
> > On 24/10/2013 9:03 a.m., Gib Bogle wrote:
> >> I finally relented and upgraded Mozilla Thunderbird to 24.0.1. The only
> >> change I notice is that now all my incoming mail goes to the Trash
> >> folder. This is approximately correct, but there is occasionally
> >> something I'd like to read. Looking online I see stuff about filters.
> >> The only filter I have on Inbox is "Chinese spam" which looks for "helo"
> >> in Received-SPF (I can't recall when or why I created that).
> >>
> >> Has anyone else seen this problem?

> > I haven't seen that problem, but it'll be your filter causing the issue
> > - 'helo' in the Received-SPF field is expected for mail regardless of
> > its legitimacy.
> >

> Really? The bizarre thing is that the problem just started with the
> upgrade, but I can't even remember creating that filter - it was
> obviously a long time ago. Anyway I disabled the filter and now the
> mail gets delivered.

'helo' string is part of the pop3 handshaking between server and client
(or possibly SMTP handshaking, I'm not going to check that out right
now) - I would hazard a guess that the new mozilla has been changed to
look at ALL header content and not just the subject line, with the
result you describe.

-P.

---

Yahoo mail goin to trash can Lynz NZ Computing 1 08-30-2011 09:44 PM
TB messages in trash Steve IA Firefox 1 11-11-2004 04:27 PM
Thunderbird 0.7.3: automatically empty local folders trash on exit? Wolfgang Kern Firefox 7 08-07-2004 08:07 AM
Mail to trash Nobody Firefox 4 07-14-2004 10:46 PM
Trash, Sent, Draft, etc folders? William W. Plummer Firefox 1 07-05-2004 06:33 PM

Advertisments